Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2013, 04:38 AM   #1
rodneyri
Registered Member

ATI Powermodule Hybrid Club

Today I received my new ATI Hybrid's, they are the 8x54w + 3x75w LED versions. To say the least I was excited to find them at my office early in the morning...meaning a long day at work waiting to get home.

Here is the unboxing of the new toy

next to a standard 8x54w Powermodule

Full review to come, but so far on my tank PAR at the bottom is 590 with all lamps on. Note - brand new T5 bulbs not even gone through wear in period.

If youve had a PM before, this is the same top build quality.

Lamp....well bright, super bright!

I thought the chord on the side would be awkward....its not, acutally prefer it as it doenst tilt the light at all...from the top it would tilt the lamp. The chord is really really thick!

Light on the tank looks almost like a MH/T5 combo light, all the advantages of LED plus the advantages of T5.

Stay tunes

Unread 03/18/2013, 04:43 AM   #2
SPotter
Registered Member

Did you replace the mitras? I'm thinking about replacing my PAC Sun Led/t5 with either a sunpower or the new model. Can you tell me what size tank you this on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

More like " country club." at them prices! lol.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 05:01 AM   #4
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drae View Post
More like " country club." at them prices! lol.
8x54 t5/ 3x75 led
is cheaper than 2 GHL mitras.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Michigan Mike

Can't wait for the review Rodneyri.

I want to see the PAR numbers of the LEDs and what they compare to and what you think of them.

Having the mitras already and considering how good they are it will be nice to see how the ATI T5/Led combo competes with the best of the best LEDs.

Unread 03/18/2013, 05:23 AM   #6
biggles
Registered Member

Why didn't you trip over the boxes at work, hurt your knee and hobble home early carrying the goodies - can't believe you stayed at work lol
Seriously though, can you share what it is you are looking for from the hybrid that your T5 only unit wasn't giving you as i'm pretty sure you didn't pay that much just for shimmer. I'd buy one in a heartbeat btw if i was wealthier but unfortunately this is as close as i'll ever get to one so i look forward to your updates.

Unread 03/18/2013, 05:26 AM   #7
rodneyri
Registered Member

Spotter-
Yep changing to this light from Mitras, I change lights more than I change my underwear lol Im addicted to the new toys lol Will be going over my 1400x750x500 now til the 2400 comes. These are units in mm

Drae-
They arent cheap but I did get an extremely good price on them

Mike-
Yeah it was cheaper than 2 Mitras, but they are very different beasts...I will be changing globes again, and there is the heat from T5 that LED doesnt put off...but damn they are bright. And yes you can see shimmer with the 8 T5 bulbs on!

Will do a review and vid in a couple of days

Unread 03/18/2013, 07:14 AM   #8
SPotter
Registered Member

So the 60" 8x80w with led would be perfect on my 72x36x28 I have noticed that you change lighting a lot....this hobby will drive you crazy with new toys.

Looking forward to updates and videos!!!

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 03/18/2013, 07:33 AM   #9
mess7777
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Did you replace the mitras? I'm thinking about replacing my PAC Sun Led/t5 with either a sunpower or the new model. Can you tell me what size tank you this on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
not happy with with Pac Sun?

Also Rodney, thought you were lovin' the Mitras? What made you make the change?

mess7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 07:39 AM   #10
SPotter
Registered Member

Sorry Rodneyri....not trying to derail your thread. Like Rodneyri I like to try new toys when they come out. I always had T5's before I got the Pac Sun which is 4x150w led's and 4x80w T5's. I like the idea of having more t5's than leds.

Unread 03/18/2013, 11:43 AM   #11
toofrigginswt
Registered Member

Great looking fixture! Now I just need to figure out how I can rig some LEDs into my 10x54w powermodule.

Unread 03/18/2013, 11:52 AM   #12
this is me
Registered Member

Great looking fixture!

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 11:58 AM   #13
karsseboom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
Can't wait for the review Rodneyri.

I want to see the PAR numbers of the LEDs and what they compare to and what you think of them.

Having the mitras already and considering how good they are it will be nice to see how the ATI T5/Led combo competes with the best of the best LEDs.
Well considering the original powermdoule with 10x54 is a par monster, I can only think this will have some of the same numbers if not higher.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 10:30 PM   #14
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

How's the programming interface for the fixture?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 06:40 PM   #15
adamwheel
Registered Member

Question: I'm currently building a 66"l x 26"w x 24"h aquarium and am torn between the 60" 4 bulb and 8 bulb. SPS dominant.

I'll be doing a bean internal overflow, so the usable area inside the aquarium just got smaller by 3.75". The 8 bulb is 20.5" wide and the 4 bulb is 12" wide.

I have 21.25" usable inches to work with and worry about light spilling outside the aquarium. Should this be a concern?

Wishing there was a 6 bulb.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance?

adamwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2013, 07:06 PM   #16
karsseboom
Registered Member

I would get the 8 bulb. For a tank that's 26" wide.

Then again you might be able to get by with a 4 bulb since the LEDs should give a nice punch.

Unread 03/20/2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Michigan Mike

How long did you run the mitras anyway?

Unread 03/20/2013, 11:27 PM   #18
rodneyri
Registered Member

So many queries on why the change, I always read about LED/T5 being the ultimate lighting combo so I had to try it out, I like to get new toys too... I update my TV's yearly almost, computers, phones. The Mitras was a really good light, and if I was to go to LED only again the Mitras is the one I would buy, so dont look at my change as a negative to the Mitras - but it will be good to see how a LED/T5 combo works

The software is really basic, you control two banks of 4 T5's and you control each LED cluster individually. Quite simply at a point in time use the sliders to adjust the individual LEDs to the color you like and move to the next time point. Cool feature of the software is it has some ATI bulbs pre-programmed so click that button and the LEDs adjust to the color of the bulb - not sure how accurate but its a nice feature

The LED fans are quite loud, like a MP40 pump when they get going, they speed up and down as needed to cool the LEDs (they run at about 40C), the T5 fans are super quiet. With all this power the lamp does put out some heat.

Color rendering...well what can I say - its a Powermodule on steroids. Its the brightest light I have owned, I will take some more detailed PAR and spectrum readings in the coming weeks when the bulbs have worn in a bit. But at almost 600 PAR on the sandbed its deffinately got some punch!

Unread 03/20/2013, 11:47 PM   #19
karsseboom
Registered Member

I had no idea that was your tank. I saved a picture of your aquascape to template mine when I did it.

Unread 03/20/2013, 11:56 PM   #20
rodneyri
Registered Member

yup thats my WIP, its seen better days had a massive ALK swing and lost some good pieces.

Unread 03/21/2013, 12:02 AM   #21
GratefulReef
Registered Member

If I only had the money!!

GratefulReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2013, 05:55 AM   #22
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
Yep changing to this light from Mitras, I change lights more than I change my underwear lol Im addicted to the new toys lol Will be going over my 1400x750x500 now til the 2400 comes.
Hi Rodney,

Will the Mitras be going over the new tank?

Going to make a great comparison, old school against new school.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2013, 01:56 PM   #23
rodneyri
Registered Member

Ill try do some PAR readings on the weekend of the old vs new and put up a comparison photo, will be good to see the difference.

Unread 03/21/2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Drae
RAIDER NATION!

I'm now looking at that light and can't help but to think it might end up being king of the hill. I would no doubt buy one if they were just a few hundred bucks cheaper. Thats one sexy fixture.

Drae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Jmason95
Registered Member

Nice clean set up!

Do the T5's wash out the LED shimmer? If not, does the shimmer spread throughout the whole tank, or is it centered more or less directly under the bulbs?

Also, how is the heat? Does it get hot enough that it affects the temperature of the tank?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote