Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Need help maintaining ALK

Tested my ALK (9 DKH) and CAL (600 PPM) today calcium jumped from 480 to 600 in a weeks time. I've been dosing KALK+(Vinegar 12 ML to 5 gallons) for six months and has always maintained levels not sure what happened. Only thing changed is a new doser head same settings maybe ratio is different. I'm going on a 2 week vacation and need to maintain ALK very worried. I have KALK being dosed separate from ATO can I add a supplement to my ATO (20 Gallons)? I have seachem Reef Builder (Raises Carbonates) how much can I add to my ATO to just maintain that 9 DKH with a reduced Kalk drip while gone?

I have a 80 Gallon system and kalk (fully saturated) drips about 5 to 6 gallons a week. My PH is high was averaging between 8.3 and 8.4 but when calcium hit 600 in the last week or so PH reaches 8.51 at end of day is PH a clue to high calcium? I have a apex with ph probe can my ph be a indicator when everything is going off while on my trip?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2015, 05:25 PM   #2
eddiereefs
Registered Member

If i were u i would toss the vinegar, its obv spiking ur cal and alk because of the saturation level. The point of kalkwasser is to get that seperation and add only the mixed portion, when u add everything u are left with a super saturated solution that can and will cause spikes, as if kalk isnt strong enough. Not to mention the bacterial blooms vinegar can cause

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Jyetman
Registered Member

The reason behind the vinegar was to maximize potency minimize dosing quantity without increasing the storage size?

Unread 05/09/2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Feel embarrassed never mind just retested the Calcium and its actually 460 PPM no idea what the heck I did the first time. I swear I counted 40 drops (API TEST KIT) but the second time was 23 drops weird.

Tags
high cal, maintaining alk, top off