Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2019, 03:38 PM   #1
siliconinja
Registered Member

Tangent Warning: Commercial Aquaponics

Hey Guys! I’m an avid reefer at home, but just started a work project I thought you guys might like to follow along on! I’m a member of a restaurant group that’s building a commercial Aquaponics facility, about 9000 sq.ft., to supply organic produce for our restaurants.

Aquaponics is the combination of hydroponics and freshwater aquaculture. The system is similar to my home reef which relies on a refugium for primary filtration, running in reverse with the plants on display and the fish acting as a “battery” providing a constant source of organic nutrients.

I’ve ordered a full ProfiLux 4 system & ExpansionBox 2 to start monitoring and basic control. I chose GHL over Apex for stability, better freshwater support, and an open API for us to tie our existing tech stack into. The system will be installed at the main exchange where system waters (fish & plant) mix and distribute. Starting with 2 temperature sensors, pH, Redox, and EC. 10 float switches to control the main sumps and associated pumps. Looking to add DO probe soon, along with ~17 flow meters to monitor the plant dwc racks and DC pump control 0-10v

Initial Controller Install Update:

I received most of my order this week and was able to layout, cut, and mount the control board. I found some HDPE at a local plastics shop, they were scrap leftover so I had them cut to 10” x 48” so they were uniform. The problem was they were 1/4” thick so I had to double them, not a bad fix once installed but was annoying to cut. Long term it may help as only 2 out of the 4 boards ended up having the 2” cable routing holes cut, allowing for updates as the system matures.

At this point I’ve setup the heat loop (system is heated by 2x commercial 40g 40,000 btu power-vent hot water heaters) through onboard programming and connecting through the hotspot to my mobile phone. Only the temperature probe is connected and one of the DC Pumps. I mounted 5 pump controllers, we run the system using 4 pumps but had a 5th on hand for parts so I kept the controller there for a spare and for symmetry. I also left space for a second Powerbar I’ll probably just order now as I realize the one that came with the system is already maxed out.

Next steps: order extension cables for the other two pump controllers, order 2” flexible desk grommets for cleaner install, order extensions for temperature probe and float switches, order 12mm acrylic rod for float holders (custom length, using sensor holder 1’s), sch.80 1/2” fittings and pipe for the probe holder (feeling fancy), cable routing supplies, and a vesa iPad mount for primary display. This should allow for a finished install of the board and basic controls and monitoring for the sump tower.

Wishlist: I am looking at potentially another expansion box at the far end for a separate hydroponic setup (not connected to the fish loop). I would likely also use the power bus directly to the sub panel, as each of 5 systems draws nearly 20a each. Would also require a few float switches (12) to monitor levels as there are several sumps and pumps.

This week: We’re adding 200 Mozambique Tilapia to the system now that the heatloop is running, lighting and plumbing 2 of the grow racks, and planting two of the micro green systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote