Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:27 AM   #1
green1181
Registered Member

Need to remove (or kill) BTA

Hey guys, have a BTA from when I set the tank up, It has now split a couple times and some are stinging my sps.

I really need 2 of them out of the tank but they go deep into my rock work (which is one piece cemented together).

Tried the powerhead trick, when I touch it it goes out of reach.

Can I inject it with alk or vinegar (followed by a w/c)??

Really need to figure out something..the more I try, the more it stresses them and the more they split.

thanks

green1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 01:03 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Can you put a rock right above it to block the light, and give it a couple days to see if it will move out of the big rock onto the small rock, instead of killing it. It worked for me when i need to remove 3 btas,I would give this a try?

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 05:59 PM   #3
green1181
Registered Member

Haven't tried that yet..will give it a go after work today..thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznflyfisherman View Post
Can you put a rock right above it to block the light, and give it a couple days to see if it will move out of the big rock onto the small rock, instead of killing it. It worked for me when i need to remove 3 btas,I would give this a try?

Unread 12/15/2017, 01:22 AM   #4
green1181
Registered Member

No go, the rock is too steep and the small rock keeps getting knocked off

Unread 12/15/2017, 02:46 AM   #5
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

I had a similar problem. Over the course of two and half yrs, 2 went to 13. My solution wont work for you however ..I just took out the rocks and put them in the backyard for a day or two. One rock had 6 on it. Even then, I needed to scrape, scrub the remains off before going back in. Unbelievable smell. Of the 6, only one fell off the rock. The rest all hung on like grim death.

These things dont give up the ghost easily. You can drop one on the floor and leave it there for 30 minutes, put it back in the tank and it shrugs it off like a hangover.

There was no local market for RTBA's, could not give them away. Many folks in this area have had too much success with them.

Before:

After:

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:31 AM   #6
jd371
Registered Member

You can try the PVC method. Take some PVC and place it over the BTA, Make sure the PVC is long enough so that it has to move through it to get to the light, if it's too short it will just stretch. Not the quickest way but it has worked.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 10:47 AM   #7
rockryno
Registered Member

I removed mine by gluing frag plugs together over the hole that the anemone lived in to block the light. Just the fragging gel super glue, small amount so it would remove ealisy.
After a few days the anemone slowly climbed up onto the frag plugs and i just removed them all again. Easy.

Id hate for you to try to kill them.

rockryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 09:09 AM   #8
brad
Registered Member

Grab an ice cube! Ice and some gentle pulling will cause the base of the anemone to detach.

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:24 PM   #9
Randyz
Registered Member

I second the ice cube trick. It has worked for me

Randyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:56 PM   #10
green1181
Registered Member

The anemone goes in to a rock about 4" as soon as I touch it with the ice, i'll have to give the pvc and frag plugs a go..thanks!
One was stinging some other corals so I injected some alk into it..it released and is still doing ok in basket a couple weeks later. Might save that as the last resort for the others.

Unread 01/24/2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Softhammer
Registered Member

I now have 6 awesome green bubble tips that I need 5 of removed. The ice trick is a new one I have to try!