Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2015, 04:33 PM   #126
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanle View Post
I had a few free hours today and managed to put together these Airgas systems. They are identical. The solenoid is a stainless steel Burkert 6011. Needle valve is a Hoke 1300 series. I added a bubble counter with built in check valve right on top of the needle valve to make it like an all in one system. Let me know if you guys need any help in building a system like this. I can help.
What size is the bottom of the Bubble Counter? 1/4 NPT?

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 05:09 PM   #127
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
What size is the bottom of the Bubble Counter? 1/4 NPT?

It's 1/8 npt

alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2015, 05:37 PM   #128
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Have the part number for the 1/8 tubing adapter to 1/8 npt for the Hoke metering valve to the bubble counter? Or can you go direct from the metering valve to the bubble counter?

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
Unread 01/31/2015, 06:37 PM   #129
alanle
Registered Member

How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

Quote:
Have the part number for the 1/8 tubing adapter to 1/8 npt for the Hoke metering valve to the bubble counter? Or can you go direct from the metering valve to the bubble counter?

The Hoke needle valve uses 1/8 OD tubing so if your tubing is the same size, you can install it directly to the needle valve without an adapter. Most of us use 1/4 OD so an adapter is required. The part number is listed in the main post.

Unread 01/31/2015, 06:55 PM   #130
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

The part # listed is for the fitting from 1/8 to 1/4 tubing. Do you happen to know the part # from 1/8 tubing to 1/8" NPT? No worries if not, I can figure something out.

Unread 02/01/2015, 12:09 PM   #131
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
The part # listed is for the fitting from 1/8 to 1/4 tubing. Do you happen to know the part # from 1/8 tubing to 1/8" NPT? No worries if not, I can figure something out.

It's ss-2-ta-1-2

Unread 02/03/2015, 11:41 PM   #132
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Regardless of the size of your CO2 tank, you should strap it to a corner somewhere. The part that connects the tubing to the needle valve is here:
http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...7-a5d3fd3672c3
(EDIT figured it out but still would like insight on below)

Also are these available anywhere else that you know of?

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).

Last edited by Dapg8gt; 02/03/2015 at 11:50 PM.
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2015, 01:18 AM   #133
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
(EDIT figured it out but still would like insight on below)

Also are these available anywhere else that you know of?

Do you have a local swagelok distributor?

Unread 02/04/2015, 01:31 AM   #134
alanle
Registered Member

My lfs is also selling reef stuff. I usually go there to buy plants. This is a display tank they just setup. I'll need help from you guys in the future to setup something like this :-). Beside building co2 for the calcium reactor i know very little about reef keeping. I guess i'll need to start somewhere but first need to save up the $$$$$ :-)

Unread 02/04/2015, 01:56 AM   #135
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have a local swagelok distributor?
I'm sure there is one in Sf or someone that carries it if i really dig/call around( I live on the Peninsula about 10 mins South of SF) , when I look on the Swagelok site it's lists Fremont ( probably 1.5 hrs round trip) so I guess if that's what it takes I'll need to do it.. This Reducer from a few online retailers with shipping ends up north of $25 and that's just crazy for what it is physically.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Unread 02/04/2015, 01:09 PM   #136
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
My lfs is also selling reef stuff. I usually go there to buy plants. This is a display tank they just setup. I'll need help from you guys in the future to setup something like this :-). Beside building co2 for the calcium reactor i know very little about reef keeping. I guess i'll need to start somewhere but first need to save up the $$$$$ :-)
Setting up a tank like that is easier than most think. The key is getting the tank set up and cycled first and foremost. They likely used fully cured rock from an established system. If you don't have that available, you'll want to take a while longer before adding coral. Feel free to PM me, as you've been quite helpful to me designing my regulator.

Unread 02/04/2015, 01:13 PM   #137
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
I'm sure there is one in Sf or someone that carries it if i really dig/call around( I live on the Peninsula about 10 mins South of SF) , when I look on the Swagelok site it's lists Fremont ( probably 1.5 hrs round trip) so I guess if that's what it takes I'll need to do it.. This Reducer from a few online retailers with shipping ends up north of $25 and that's just crazy for what it is physically.
It's the shipping or order minimums that kill you from most online vendors. As alanle stated, you're most likely best off going through Swagelock directly. That's the course I ended up taking, though that opinion may change in the next few months.

Unread 02/04/2015, 05:28 PM   #138
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Setting up a tank like that is easier than most think. The key is getting the tank set up and cycled first and foremost. They likely used fully cured rock from an established system. If you don't have that available, you'll want to take a while longer before adding coral. Feel free to PM me, as you've been quite helpful to me designing my regulator.

Thanks! I'll pm you when i have all the equipment. It will take me a few months to get all of it.

Unread 02/08/2015, 12:39 AM   #139
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Big thanks to alanle for all the personal assistance and extras.

Ended up getting two of these Harris models that were still in original box for free from work. Both of them passed leak down test with flying colors with oxygen tank at work so I don't suppose c02 will be any different. They do require a different thread than the standard cga 320 nipple so that's on its way.

I wanted it to be compact since the reg is pretty large and with Alan's help I got what I wanted.. Waiting on the nipple to do a fitting leak test and get this thing on the tank, hoping on achieving that Monday.

Last edited by Dapg8gt; 02/08/2015 at 12:47 AM.
Unread 02/14/2015, 09:55 PM   #140
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Finally put mine together today.

Unread 02/14/2015, 11:02 PM   #141
alanle
Registered Member

Nice build ct-vol! You guys are natural builders.

Unread 02/18/2015, 10:03 PM   #142
dantdodge
Registered Member

Hey Alan what do you think about this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIFORM-COM...14711384&rt=nc

dantdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 11:14 PM   #143
Joel_155
Registered Member

That's awesome. Nice writeup

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 11:43 PM   #144
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantdodge View Post
Hey Alan what do you think about this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIFORM-COM...14711384&rt=nc

Jump on it!!!! It's the stainless steel Victor SGT500 regulator. This one retails at $1400. Im not kidding.

Unread 02/19/2015, 01:11 AM   #145
dantdodge
Registered Member

Quote:
Jump on it!!!! It's the stainless steel Victor SGT500 regulator. This one retails at $1400. Im not kidding.
Awesome ! Thanks for ur help! Great write up too! Ian sure I have more questions as I get the rest of the parts. I'm so exited...

dantdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 10:10 AM   #146
alanle
Registered Member

By the way, this is how we read the model of Victor regulators.
SGT500-15-580

SGT500 is their top of the line stainless steel model. HPT500 is the brass version.

15 - this is the max delivery pressure

580 - this indicates the regulator comes with the cga580 inlet nipple and nut.

Unread 02/19/2015, 11:52 AM   #147
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Thanks for the help I will try to build a unit as well, it will be my last thing I need for my SPS build. A little daunting but with alanle help it can be done correctly.

So if someone sees a good deal maybe you can PM thanks.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2015, 12:09 AM   #148
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

The burkert solenoid gets a lot hotter than my Milwaukee
( actually the AC Milwaukee doesn't even heat up) and I know heat is a normal issue with some solenoids, but this thing is almost to hot to touch when on for a few hours.. I know it's probably normal but my Question ;

Being that I'm going to be running it always open due to fine tuning the reactor effluent with a Cole parmer pump matched with the reactor pH I'm shooting for that shouldn't reduce the life of it or be dangerous right? I know most setups will turn on and off multiple times daily so in turn getting a cool down period. I know you mentioned it's industrial and rated for ALOT of on/off cycles... What about on 24/7 and elevated temperatures all the time?

Can't wait to get back from vacation and hook this thing up =)..

Unread 02/21/2015, 08:25 PM   #149
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
The burkert solenoid gets a lot hotter than my Milwaukee
( actually the AC Milwaukee doesn't even heat up) and I know heat is a normal issue with some solenoids, but this thing is almost to hot to touch when on for a few hours.. I know it's probably normal but my Question ;

Being that I'm going to be running it always open due to fine tuning the reactor effluent with a Cole parmer pump matched with the reactor pH I'm shooting for that shouldn't reduce the life of it or be dangerous right? I know most setups will turn on and off multiple times daily so in turn getting a cool down period. I know you mentioned it's industrial and rated for ALOT of on/off cycles... What about on 24/7 and elevated temperatures all the time?

Can't wait to get back from vacation and hook this thing up =)..

The burkert is 4watts so it get a little hot but absolutely normal and it's not dangerous at all. I ran mine for 7 months non stop. There are burkert models with 2watts or even less, like the 0200a.

Unread 02/21/2015, 09:19 PM   #150
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Mine is fairly warm, but I wouldn't say it classifies as too hot to touch. I also have it set to stay on more often than not.