Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2012, 11:10 PM   #1
SteveCon89
Registered Member

Overrun with Asterinas

So I have a ton of asterina's in my tank, didn't notice them at first and thought my coral was dying because of my new AI Sol..but after turning the light down to 25% and not seeing any improvement for a couple weeks, I started to investigate. I saw a couple small stars and found that there were good ones and bad ones, at this point idc what kind they are I just want them gone. I hear harlequin shrimp are the best way to go, but was wondering if there were any other options because I dont want to buy cc stars to keep feeding the shrimp.

In the event that I have to get harlequin's, how many for a 60g and will they be okay with my coral banded? thanks guys.

SteveCon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

If you're overrun it'll take a while for the shrimp to eat all of the stars, a combo of shrimp and siphoning them out when they're on the glass would be my suggestion. When the stars are gone, find someone else with stars to give the shrimp to...

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Palting
Registered Member

All you need is one harlequin. Took one harlequin 3 months in my 150 to completely wipe out thousands of asterinas.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam

Last edited by Palting; 08/17/2012 at 06:32 AM.
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 09:58 AM   #4
mclevenger10
Registered Member

I also have asterina stars in my tank and was given great advice from a local reefer. He told me to watch the movements of the stars and see where they mostly hang out. I have never seen the stars near my corals, and the ones I do have seem to be alge eaters. I guess I am lucky. But he told me if you see the stars near your coral, then get rid of them. If not don't worry about them, they will help clean your tank

mclevenger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Donkeykong
Registered Member

I got 1 shrimp for my 75g and in 3 months there wasnt an asterina in sight, then I found someone else in my local club that had this problem and passed the shrimp along. It mad its way thru several tanks before finally losing an ill advised fight with an MP40.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Whisperer
Registered Member

I remove them manually. How hard is it to catch them.

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 11:59 AM   #7
jcw
Registered Member

i see the occasional one from time to time. I didn't know they harm corals.

how prone are they to explode in population? my tanks been up 1.5 years and i rarely see more than one at a time.

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Whisperer
Registered Member

Mine eat algae off the glass. Never seen them harm corals.

Current Tank Info: 120G reef, 30G sump, 10G QT tank

Last edited by Whisperer; 08/17/2012 at 12:51 PM.
Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 10:08 PM   #9
nasoisking
Registered Member

ive never had them eat my corals either, must be different types?

nasoisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 11:03 PM   #10
brandon429
Registered Member.

Best pic I've seen of an asterina trail

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

There are many species of Asterina starfish. For many years I was skeptical of hobbyists who claimed they were a nuisance, as I only ever had the types that were quite benign.

However, I started to get overrun with one type that was clearly eating my corals a year or two ago. It took some time to really know it was the stars, and by the time I realized they wer the problem it was too late. I lost many large colonies of zoanthids, acropora, and lps that were grown from tiny frags before I could think the populations enough for coral growth to outpace munching. It took me fragging declining colonies and moving them to my anemone tank, hooked up to the same system but devoid of starfish, to make me finally figure out the problem.

That said, I've been in the hobby for 25+ years and have only just now come across this more troublesome species, or perhaps just several starfish gone rogue, so don't assume that what you have is a pest of a nuisance.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote