Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2016, 08:23 AM   #1
kattegat
Registered Member

Unhappy Tunze Skimmer

I bought a house this past March and with it came a reef tank setup, which included what appears to be a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410. I don't know how old it is. It has been functioning ok but always been a little loud, but not unbearable. However, this weekend it's been getting louder and louder and now can be heard all throughout the house and is definitely not normal. I took it all apart and washed everything, refit hose connections, and took out and cleaned the impeller-magnet-rod thing. When I plugged it back in it was really quiet for about 5min (and I felt awesome) but then it started the really loud noise again (bummed).

Do these types of pumps go bad over time? Is this normal?

kattegat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 08:55 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The impellers do wear over some years. Usually the cause will be chips in the shaft, broken needles, a bushing that is not seated (this is the most important, the bushing is the red rubber "hat" with the ceramic sleeve inside (2 of them), these need to be fully pushed into the motor and top cover, the impeller will not work to do this, it has to be pushed in with a dowel, pen or other blunt tool) or possibly the red rubber sleeve is torn. Usually it is just an impeller issue. It can be a motor if the motor ever ran dry.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 09:09 AM   #3
kattegat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The impellers do wear over some years. Usually the cause will be chips in the shaft, broken needles, a bushing that is not seated (this is the most important, the bushing is the red rubber "hat" with the ceramic sleeve inside (2 of them), these need to be fully pushed into the motor and top cover, the impeller will not work to do this, it has to be pushed in with a dowel, pen or other blunt tool) or possibly the red rubber sleeve is torn. Usually it is just an impeller issue. It can be a motor if the motor ever ran dry.
Ok, thank you so much for the reply, rvitko. I'll have a look at he impeller and see if I can make some adjustments.

kattegat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 10:22 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Keep me posted.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 09/13/2016, 10:49 AM   #5
ballhog
Registered Member

Tunze, also sells replacement parts online. I picked up a new impeller for mine it was $12 bucks.

ballhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Jsarrow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattegat View Post
I bought a house this past March and with it came a reef tank setup, which included what appears to be a Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410. I don't know how old it is. It has been functioning ok but always been a little loud, but not unbearable. However, this weekend it's been getting louder and louder and now can be heard all throughout the house and is definitely not normal. I took it all apart and washed everything, refit hose connections, and took out and cleaned the impeller-magnet-rod thing. When I plugged it back in it was really quiet for about 5min (and I felt awesome) but then it started the really loud noise again (bummed).

Do these types of pumps go bad over time? Is this normal?
I had one of these for about 5 years with mo problems, maybe lithium grease on the shaft would help.

Jsarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 09:02 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I wouldn't use lithium grease, it is not likely aquarium safe as it would contain lithium stearate and heavy petroleum oil. Water should be the lubrication, if anything you could try food safe silicon grease or a small amount of vaseline, but usually the issue is insufficient cleaning causing a bearing to drag or seize (calcium carbonate build up).

Unread 10/24/2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Amateur_Reefer
Registered Member

I want to use this as an internal skimmer. Is there a filter/skimmer cabinet I can use? Do I need to use the hydrofoamer and post filter bag?

Amateur_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2016, 02:02 PM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I don't see that working well due to splash and bubble production as well as the size. The 9012 is the in tank equivalent model. It could be done but I think it would be awkward and unsightly. You have to use the hydrofoamer as that is what feeds the water and air, you could omit the filter bag but bubbles will be a big issue.