Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2009, 03:43 PM   #1
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

29G nano reef build thread*

I've got most of my stuff ordered and everything is on its way! The majority I what I need should be here Wednesday! Figured I'd just make a thread now and get a few last pointers before I get started. I'll be adding several pictures of the process as soon as I get all the supplies, but for now I want to make sure I've got what I need and what I'll still need to get.

This is the nano check list:

3 powerheads (2 in tank, one to mix saltwater preps - Koralia brand)
2 heaters (1 in tank, 1 in saltwater mix prep)
1 refractometer
tank
stand
substrate (coral sand)
salt mix (reef crystals 50lb bag for now)
test kit
2 thermometers (1 in tank, 1 in saltwater prep)
algae cleaner for glass
net
lighting - T5 HO 4 bulb system (460 nm actinic blue lamps and 10,000K ultra daylight lamps)

For now I'll be FOWLR, but once the tank is running stable, I'm gonna be splashing in the water with some corals, polyps, etc.

In terms of additives and supplements, what would you guys recommend the most? A buffer to help with the pH, some sort of trace elements bottle, and iodine. What will I NEED with just the CUC and fish, and the what will I NEED when I start looking for some corals?

xxwake4lifexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Patriot54
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the additives and stuff, but you might want to get an RO unit or buy RO water from the grocery store. When you look to get corals, you should get a protein skimmer.

Patriot54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2009, 07:09 PM   #3
unda_da_see
Registered Member

at first you don't need any additives, as the salt will do everything. Take your time and don't rush things as that is the biggest mistake you can make. Make sure any unused salt is tightly sealed or it will attract moisture and become "bad". Find a real good store to buy from even if you have to drive a bit, it's worth it.

unda_da_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2009, 01:24 AM   #4
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Quote:
Originally posted by Patriot54
I'm not sure about the additives and stuff, but you might want to get an RO unit or buy RO water from the grocery store. When you look to get corals, you should get a protein skimmer.
Well I have an RO unit under the sink, but hasn't been used in a while since we get all the drinking water now from the filtered water from the fridge. My best friend works at a water store and I can get water for free. I'm gonna get a sample of it and test it to see if everything is okay with it. It goes through a really fancy RO filtration system and even UV lighting. I'll test that to see if it would be suitable.

As for the protein skimmer, I figured I could get one in the future when I had corals. I haven't done too much research on them though. Something that could hang out next to the tank, or a HOB would be good.

Quote:
Originally posted by unda_da_see
at first you don't need any additives, as the salt will do everything. Take your time and don't rush things as that is the biggest mistake you can make. Make sure any unused salt is tightly sealed or it will attract moisture and become "bad". Find a real good store to buy from even if you have to drive a bit, it's worth it.
No additives at first. Got it! I'm really trying to take my time. I'll make sure the tank is running really stable before I attempt my first coral. The 50lbs of Reef Crystals I ordered is a bag. Should I buy some container with a lid to store it in?

Unread 03/14/2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Patriot54
Registered Member

You could get a container if you want, all I do is wrap it up really tight and call it good. I havn't had any problems doing it this way.

Unread 03/14/2009, 01:06 PM   #6
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Quote:
Originally posted by Patriot54
You could get a container if you want, all I do is wrap it up really tight and call it good. I havn't had any problems doing it this way.
Oh okay. That's what I was originally planning on doing anyway haha. You really think the protein skimmer will help that much when I get corals?

- William Wallace

Current Tank Info: 29g mixed reef: monti cap, frogspawn, GSP, xenia, candy cane coral, zoanthids, mushrooms, pipe organ
Unread 03/14/2009, 01:26 PM   #7
unda_da_see
Registered Member

what type of T5 did you buy? I just bit the bullet and bought a Current sundial T5HO 30" 4x24 watt w/ 2 moon lights for $188 total !!!!!!! It has dual timers, fans, 1 power cord.....sweet!!!!!.

Unread 03/14/2009, 01:31 PM   #8
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Quote:
what type of T5 did you buy? I just bit the bullet and bought a Current sundial T5HO 30" 4x24 watt w/ 2 moon lights for $188 total !!!!!!! It has dual timers, fans, 1 power cord.....sweet!!!!!.
Sounds like you got a better deal than me

Where did you get yours? Can you link me?

- William Wallace

Current Tank Info: 29g mixed reef: monti cap, frogspawn, GSP, xenia, candy cane coral, zoanthids, mushrooms, pipe organ
Unread 03/14/2009, 01:44 PM   #9
unda_da_see
Registered Member

petmountain.com have you used yours yet? how loud are the fans? Yeah it was a good deal, saved $60 over marine depot or the good Drs.

Unread 03/14/2009, 01:46 PM   #10
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Quote:
petmountain.com have you used yours yet? how loud are the fans? Yeah it was a good deal, saved $60 over marine depot or the good Drs.
No the majority of my stuff is due to arrive this Wednesday. My tank is just sitting there with the cleaned coral sand in it haha.

- William Wallace

Unread 03/14/2009, 01:48 PM   #11
Patriot54
Registered Member

Be sure to post pictures.

Unread 03/15/2009, 12:53 AM   #12
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Another question out there for anyone who's listening .

What exactly does semi-aggressive mean? Does it just mean that it needs to be kept away from the other corals and it'll be okay, or will it try to attack the corals from a distance, etc?

Is it possible to mix some peaceful and semi-aggressive in a 30g?

- William Wallace

Unread 03/17/2009, 09:31 PM   #13
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Alright - going to pick up about 30lbs of live rock tomorrow. I've got my mixed saltwater in the tank and I'm heating it to 78-80 degrees. Woot!

- William Wallace

Unread 03/18/2009, 06:02 AM   #14
unda_da_see
Registered Member

well petmountain emailed me to say they got the light in stock, so i went and bought it, then they cancel the order because it's not in stock???? I guess it's ok i didn't really need it right now anyway.

Unread 03/18/2009, 09:21 AM   #15
Ansphire
Registered Member

Semi-agresive most likely means they will be aggresive towards there own, or can be a little territorial.. it all depends on the species and on the fish... fish of the same species can be very different. A buddy of mine has a clown that sits on his hand, mine wants to rip it off!!!

Why don't you post your picks for fish.. everyone should be able to tell you their experiences.

As for the skimmer... IMO. not necesary in a nano.. when you read a bit you will notice that while removing bad proteins from the water, it also removes good proteins and food for the corals.

I ran a skimmer on my nano for about a month and noticed a loss in color... been skimer-less ever since and couldn't be happier... just keep up with water changes religiously.

I think there is a thread somewhere with all the skimmerless tanks... I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Unread 03/18/2009, 04:00 PM   #16
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

Picked up 44 pounds of live rock this morning and tossed it in the tank. Now the waiting

- William Wallace

Unread 03/19/2009, 11:36 PM   #17
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

So I've got the live rock in the tank and replaced the Koralia Nano power heads I had. I got 2 "Koralia 2s." Just wondering if this is too much flow for a 29g? I have one on the left side blowing to the right and one on the right aimed towards the front of the tank blowing to the left. I also kept a nano towards the bottom left to blow some water along the back of the tank. Should I move them else where? Should I get a Koralia 1 instead?

Sorry about the large images too. I thought I resized them on Photobucket...

- William Wallace

Unread 03/20/2009, 11:42 AM   #18
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

I've moved some of the LR to better please my tastes...

So I guess while the tank is cycling, I should start considering a CUC:

Gotta have a Scarlet Skunk cleaner shrimp.

Basically any hermit crab variation will do, correct? How many of these little guys should I have?

As for snails -- Margarita, Cerith, Astraea, or Nassarius? One for algae and one type for detritus, right? How many of these little buggers?

- William Wallace

Unread 03/20/2009, 12:07 PM   #19
kel2682
Registered Member

I have same tank and have 2 K1's and it is enough flow for lps
plus my return

Click the red house for some older photos I need to update

kel2682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2009, 04:18 PM   #20
Patriot54
Registered Member

As far as a CUC, I wouldn't do any hermit crabs. They will kill your snails for their shells. I already wish I hadn't bought any hermit crabs. For snails, I would go with 10 nassarius and 5-10 astraea snails. The nassarius for detritus and sand shifting, yes shifting, and the astraea for hair algae and diatoms.

Unread 03/24/2009, 11:33 PM   #21
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

March 24th, 2009 UPDATE:

Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrite = 0.10
Nitrate = 2.5 (or the one below that - sucks being color blind )
pH = ~8.3
Alkalinity = 2.8-3.2 (a tad bit high according to my test kit slightly above the 'normal' range)
SG = 1.024

This is after 6 days of throwing some cured live rock in the tank.

Temperature stays at a consistent 79-80 during the day. Everything seem to be checking in okay?

- William Wallace

Unread 03/25/2009, 11:32 PM   #22
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

March 25th, 2009 UPDATE:

Lighting fixture will be here tomorrow! Unfortunately Thursdays are my long days at school. I'll be gone at 8am and won't be home until 10pm!

But oh the glory when I get home!!

- William Wallace

Unread 03/27/2009, 12:01 AM   #23
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

March 26, 2009 UPDATE:

The T-5HO lighting fixture came in today and I'm so happy with it so far! It looks great and is really quiet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the moon light LEDs to work though... Anyone else have this model and wanna share a tip? I know they won't come on unless its dark. I tried flipping the switch for them in a dark room with no lights on and nothing happened. It must be child proof .

Just a few inhabitants so far to help things along...

Chemistry update!

pH ~ 8.3
Alkalinity = 2.8-3.0
Nitrite = 0.1
Ammonia = 0.0-0.25 (its a little in between, but more towards the 0.0 value)
SG = 1.024
Nitrates = 10-20ppm

So these are my chemistry values as of tonight. I'll check 'em again in a couple days. I'm just excited for my cycle to get finished .

I haven't given the fish list too much thought but I figure no more than 3 fish. I have to have a false percula, but haven't given thought to the other 2 fish. A goby of some sort and maybe a firefish?

- William Wallace

Unread 03/27/2009, 11:20 AM   #24
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

What are these on my glass? Are they harmful?

- William Wallace

Unread 03/27/2009, 11:31 AM   #25
xxwake4lifexx
Josh

I think I found the answer on another forum. Those are some form of 'pods' and signs that the tank is doing well?

- William Wallace