Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2008, 09:10 PM   #1
wegotcrabs
Registered Member

Seahorse compatability

I have a 30 gallon cube that is currently housing a small pair of b/w clownfish. Do you think I can add a seahorse?

wegotcrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 01:56 AM   #2
pledosophy
Registered Member

No.

Unread 11/29/2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

How about a foxface?

How about a small foxface rabbitfish in a 95G DT to control calupera?

I would remove the foxface to a different tank after the algae grazing was done...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 06:39 PM   #4
ann83
Registered Member

Nope. You won't see the seahorses the entire time the foxface is in the tank; so its likely your seahorses won't see food the entire time it is in the tank either. Not to mention, the way rabbitfish behave when stressed and when feeding, you're seahorses are likely to stress themselves into disease.

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Thanks...

Interesting...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Unread 11/29/2008, 10:11 PM   #6
pledosophy
Registered Member

This is a nice little write up on tank mates if I don't say so myself.

pledosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Great!

Thanks for posting that. I had it at one time, but somehow had lost the link to it...

LL

Unread 11/30/2008, 10:49 PM   #8
MCNY36
Registered Member

Some clownfish are okay with seahorses, false perculas are ok when their small. Check out this link -

http://www.seahorse.com/index.php?op...d=3949&catid=2

FREE quotes!!!

Current Tank Info: 2 Tanks - 30G & 18G (so far)
MCNY36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2008, 01:45 AM   #9
pledosophy
Registered Member

Percs might do well when they are small, but they get big, and very territorial IME. When I plan a tank I plan to keep a tank that can run together for the next 5 to 10 years, not for the next 6 months. IME with perc they did fine when they were very small for a few months and then established there territory and got defensive. One thing if you have a 250g tank, quite a different scenario if your doing a 90g IMO.