Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Bliz
Registered Member

Frustrated with my substrate

Hey guys. I bought Caribsea Oolite sand for my 55gallon tank because I thought it looked the best. I'm running 2 Hydor 1050 PH and I get constant sand storms. I've tried tons of different positions for the PHs and I always end up getting the sand pushed into huge dunes and then part of the bottom of the tank becomes exposed. Should I get smaller powerheads? Only run one of them? This is getting very frustrating!

Unread 01/18/2012, 01:43 AM   #2
rcmania
Im So Confused!

IMO your powerheads are to large for a 55gal tank and you have two of them. I have a 750 and one of the smallest ones in my 65g tank. if yours is the standered 55 gallon size your tank doesnt have the depth those powerheads need.

Current Tank Info: 220G Tall DSB SPS DT/3 Sol Blue/ 75 Gallon Sump in basement with Reeflo return/ 2 Mp40W/ Profilux Controller. 65G QT
rcmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2012, 02:33 AM   #3
rAzOr714
Registered Member

Imo To big of power heads
I have 1050 & 750 on my 90 gal

*rAzOr*

rAzOr714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2012, 05:15 AM   #4
L_Spec
Registered Member

Either you need to spread your aquascape more to disperse the flow, or else you'll need to let bacteria culture on your sand a bit more. When my tank was a 30 gallon, I had two Koralia 750s in it and the sand kicked up a lot. It took a while for the sand to stop being in the water column, but it stopped eventually. I've since moved up to a 60 gallon with the same two 750s, PLUS two 1400s (These are on an alternating circulation, though, having them both on at the same time will kick sand up a bit, but I'm sure if I didn't have them pointing in the same direction, it wouldn't be so bad maybe...).

Perhaps the $50ish Smartwave by Hydor might be your best bet. I'd look into it.

L_Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2012, 07:44 AM   #5
WetShepherd
Registered Member

I think you're going to get stuck with replacing them with smaller ones because you'll have difficulty fine-tuning your flow due to all the power you have. Before you do that however, I'd try breaking up the flow by moving them closer to the surface and aiming them into the path of your return flow. It will increase turbulence but that's desirable anyway.

Even if that stops the sand storms it might be a bit hard on the fish you keep in there - not sure about that. It won't hurt to try before dishing out more money though. GL

WetShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2012, 07:59 AM   #6
bidny
Registered Member

Not sure about the Hydor 1050s, but I have two Vortech MP40s running at full speed on my 90 gallon. I had to keep them tuned down for quite a while before enough bacteria, etc. had grown on my DSB. Now, my sand doesn't budge even at full speed.

I'd try to find a way to live with them for a while. Maybe only run one at first and add the second at a later date.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote