Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Cincyreef
Registered Member

BRS vs. Spectrapure

Hi all. I'm debating on getting an RO/DI unit, but unsure of which to get. I'm looking at the refurbished spectrapure 90gpd, or the BRS new 75gpd RO/DI unit. They're each $134.99. Is there that much of a difference between the units? I'm all for buying new, but I from what I've read spectrapure seems to be the best units for my price range. I only have a 29 biocube at the moment, but will more than likely upgrade down the road. Thoughts?

Cincyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 02:58 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Doesn't appear to be build quality differences that I can see. I have an original spectrapure unit, but have used BRS as replacement membranes. I see no difference in performance.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 03:53 PM   #3
jrp1588
Registered Member

It all comes down to filter choice, other than that the enclosures are pretty well the same. I've always heard Spectrapure makes better prefilters and membranes. If you buy a Spectrapure RO/DI unit and replace the filters with cheaper BRS stuff, then essentially you'll have the same as a BRS RO/DI unit (which is perfectly good in my opinion btw.)

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 04:15 PM   #4
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Used SP for years without issue. IMO they R the best.

Unread 02/01/2015, 04:52 PM   #5
dbl
Registered Member

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but look at the sediment filters and compare. I ended up going with a SP because the model I chose had a .5 micron sediment filter (usually the first chamber). From my research and advice received, the better the membrane is protected before water reaches it, the longer it will last, thusly saving $ in the long run.

dbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Cincyreef
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses so far. I have another question. I'm actually looking now at the value plus 75gpd and the CSPDI Spectrapure 90gpd. Does the spectrapure come with a flush kit like the BRS, and is that needed? Sorry about all the questions, I've bought RO from the LFS for years, and decided to stop and just get my own setup.

Unread 02/18/2015, 11:39 AM   #7
aiq25
Registered Member

Cincyreef, which system did you end up getting? I'm looking to get an RODI unit as well and it's coming down to the Spectrapure vs BRS and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm waiting to get a TDS meter I ordered to see if I should get more stages because I'm not sure what the TDS is of my tap water.

aiq25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 11:51 AM   #8
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

cincy reef - cspdi MF does come with a manual flush kit installed. The -AF version comes with an automatic flush kit installed. Depending on your local water conditions a flush can be of small or large benefit to the life and performance of your RO membrane.

aiq25- Good question...note: a good single stage DI system can provide you with high quality water. However, a Multi stage DI systems offer other benefits in maintenance, production cost and performance over time. Also, with two stages, you can use selective DI filters for higher removal rates of specific contaminants.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, we are here for you on R/C!

Unread 02/18/2015, 12:39 PM   #9
GPB
Registered Member

I have an old Kent RO. I have been using BRS replacement carbon block , sediment prefilters and RO membranes for years and hav always gotten good results.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 37g cube, AquaC Remora Skimmer, 6 x T5 ligts, SSB, 10g sump, GFO, GAC, Polyfilter
GPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 12:51 PM   #10
dlai531
Registered Member

I bought a BRS unit and swapped out the membrane with a spectrapure 99% rejection one within the first month since i was blowing through DI resin too quickly.

I'd go with spectrapure if I were doing this again just because I feel the membrane is better.

dlai531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 01:43 PM   #11
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

GPB what is your rejection rate on your membrane?

Unread 02/18/2015, 03:13 PM   #12
shermanator
Registered Member

Spectrapure has better membranes and filters, no question. I originally bought a BRS system, but it has all SP guts now.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Cincyreef
Registered Member

I bought a BRS 4 stage value plus. I've only ran it once, but I like it quite a bit. It was putting out 0 tds so I can't complain.

Unread 02/19/2015, 02:23 PM   #14
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Cincyreef,

What is your tap water tds and ro water tds?

Jeremy

Unread 02/19/2015, 02:45 PM   #15
cryptic_grower
Registered Member

Spectra pure for the win!

My city water in is 500+ppm tds post RO my home/drinking water RO is 37ppm. Got the same SpectaPure you're looking at, clean water out is 0 tds. It's a no no brainer.

Last edited by cryptic_grower; 02/19/2015 at 02:52 PM.
cryptic_grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 04:29 PM   #16
Bill Nye
Registered Member

I've had the Refurb Spectapure unit for a couple years now and I really like it. I've moved a few times and no matter what the water is like it still performs like a champ.

I will also say the customer service is very good with Spectrapure. I had to call them about some parts and the person I spoke to was very friendly and knowledgeable. That being said I order most of my stuff through BRS and they have very good customer service as well.

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 08:41 PM   #17
Arthur1
Registered Member

I'd tell you to go SP if you don't know what you're water quality out of the tap is. Where I live, the water out of the tap is very ro/di "friendly", I've set up other units where I was wishing that I had gone that little extra step from the get go.

Arthur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 11:28 PM   #18
Bpb
Registered Member

I own a spectrapure cspdi for 3 years now. I replaced my membrane, filters and resin all with BRS stuff and have seen zero change in performance. Still getting 99+% rejection rate, and zero final tds. Using the DOW 75 gpd membrane, and universal chloramine capable carbon block.

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 10:03 AM   #19
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I'd buy this (I actually already did) with the upgraded 99% membrane (have to call to add it).
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-...D-RO-DI-System

Best system on the market for under $200. Absolutely worth the money. The membrane upgrade will save you money long term on di.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 02:30 PM   #20
snowcarver75
Registered Member

Probably depends on initial TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
I own a spectrapure cspdi for 3 years now. I replaced my membrane, filters and resin all with BRS stuff and have seen zero change in performance. Still getting 99+% rejection rate, and zero final tds. Using the DOW 75 gpd membrane, and universal chloramine capable carbon block.
BTW, how are you calculating the rejection rate? Most pre-DI is 0 tds so you probably would need to do volume based calculation?

snowcarver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 03:53 PM   #21
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

I have found that 90% of the people have much higher than 0 before the DI stage. Also did you keep a journal to show that there was no difference? How many gallons did the other DI make before it went out Vs the Spectrapure DI. How many ppm gallons did that 5 micron carbon block last vs our 0.5 micron carbon?

Calculate the rejection using microsiemens instead of TDS.

Jeremy

Unread 02/20/2015, 04:03 PM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

My BRS is 350, plus or minus a few, on the input and 6 on the output of the membrane. 98% or thereabouts. Must confess I did not realize there were higher rejection membranes available - probably worth it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2015, 04:19 PM   #23
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Our membranes set up properly with the right conditions would yield you 99%. What kind of GH is your tap water? Also, what is the psi on the pressure gauge?

Jeremy

Unread 02/20/2015, 05:26 PM   #24
mordibv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I'd buy this (I actually already did) with the upgraded 99% membrane (have to call to add it).
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-...D-RO-DI-System

Best system on the market for under $200. Absolutely worth the money. The membrane upgrade will save you money long term on di.
I have never seen one with two carbon blocks for Chloramine removal . I always used a GAC cartridge . The price is great on the unit linked since it pretty much covers all the simple bases . I always stuck with 75 gpd units since they seem to have better rejection rates . 1% isn't going to vary that much on the membrane . I don't know how much Chloramine gets past a 4 stage unit with just a carbon block but was under the impression it's not much since the ammonia is a gas after the carbon block . Maybe Spectrapure can get me straight on this . I do know we have it in our drinking water and it varies from time to time during the year .
I have used SP in the past . I have to purchase everything on a new build so thanks for the link .

Current Tank Info: No tank ATM
mordibv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 02:28 PM   #25
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

One carbon block is only suitable for small gpd systems. Larger GPD systems having only one carbon block is not practical. FWIW a 5 micron and a .6 micron is not much different than a 0.5 micron.

Jeremy