Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Charlene
Certified Reef Fanatic

Split System Chiller 500g system

I have an undersized chiller and was considering upgrading to a split unit. I was thinking to drop a titanium coil in my sump plumbed to a small air conditioner compressor located outdoors would be perfect. I figure it would be easier to keep clean the coil clean and snails couldnt plug it up and id know and know it's working. I would like to put the compressor outdoors to keep the noise to a minimum. Can anyone help me here? I don't know what to buy or who to turn for help. i could control it from my apex?

Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 03:06 PM   #2
rwb500
Registered Member

make sure you research the maximum wattage for the apex outlet. I know people have made custom chillers with an air conditioner and a titanium heat exchanger but I am not sure if I have ever seen one drop-in style. I think you could learn a lot if you search for threads of people who have done this.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Charlene
Certified Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb500 View Post
make sure you research the maximum wattage for the apex outlet. I know people have made custom chillers with an air conditioner and a titanium heat exchanger but I am not sure if I have ever seen one drop-in style. I think you could learn a lot if you search for threads of people who have done this.
The Apex would only control the relay to the chiller and the compressor/condenser would have its own power supply. Mainly looking for somone with experience with split systems not the all in one units most tanks use.

Unread 02/02/2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Charlene
Certified Reef Fanatic

bump? Anyone? Help appreciated!