Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2012, 06:34 PM   #1
reefscape15
Registered Member

looking for advice with overflow, sump, and lighting?

Hey everyone. I've had reef tanks since 03, but for the last 2 years I haven't had any tank at all. I have my old 20h that I want to set up again. I am looking at glass-holes super nano overflow kit, which I will pipe through the wall into a furnace room with some type of rubbermaid tub for a sump. I am in need of a skinner, and I really like the 6" Reef Octo, but also love the Vertex IN series. Both are around $200. I'd like to find something cheaper and used, but if i have to buy new, why not go big???

I plan on feeding the skimmer section of the sump directly from the overflow. I know i want a fuge section and also a algae turf scrubber. I don't know if i should have the fuge or the scrubber next in line after the skimmer.

Return pump recommendations????? Mag3?? Idk really.......I'd like a system total of around 35gal, so whatever pumps would work well in that respect. Also, the sump will be elevated about a foot off the floor, so the return line will only have about 4 feet to climb at the very most.

As far as lighting, I have 4 2' t5s with waterproof endcaps/retrofit kit; ATI Blue Plus, Purple Plus, Aquablue Special, and a UVL Actinic White. I have an Icecap 660 ballast, and plan on 2 blue led strips. Suggestions on that too??? The hood will be built just large enough to fit around the top rim of the tank, and it will be 10-12" tall. Hopefully I can hang it from the ceiling, but ill figure that out after its done.

..........well I think that's it. Any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
reefscape15 is offline   Reply With Quote