Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2015, 03:27 PM   #26
ghostman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I run 2 MP40's on my cube. Yes that is it, EXCPET for the return pump. I have plenty of flow and have the 40's turned down a fair amount too. When I was placing my rock, I took into careful consideration of where they were going in co trust to my pumps. There is not a dead spot in my tank.
Another thing that people need to take I to consideration is what is kept in the tank. Ghostman, your signature says SPS and chalice so you need the extra flow. I have lps and softy tank so to answer your question, the 2 pumps and return pump is "good flow". I am aware there are many variables involved in number of pumps but even in a setup like mine, 1 grye wouldn't likely work. That was my point I was going at, not attacking anyone or questioning the truth. Just trying to make sure I fully understood the capacity of such pump.

Corey
Totally agree with you. 1 gyre won't cut it for you, and I doubt 2 would do a full on SPS cube tank like ours. From what I've seen, 3 gyres would work for me and 2 would probably be ideal for your setup. Great tank dimensions!!! Love it!!

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 09:28 AM   #27
Spiffy
Cheesy Poofs!

The major selling point of the Gyre seems to be the flow that they create and not much else. Form the research that I have been doing, they consume more power, are a bit louder, and seem to to have less options in terms of modes and such. To me, the overall amount of flow is not as important as where the flow is going or how it is moving. The Gyre may be great for those with minimal aquascaping, but what about those that have gotten creative with their rock placement? You can always move a Vortech into a spot, sync it, and dial it in on an individual basis to avoid the issues that come from having a pump too close to the sand bed. It doesn't have to always be dead center for best effects. There are multiple ways to skin this cat, and the sky is the limit. I am beyond happy that the price came down on the 40's because the single 10 that I have for my tank gets the job done, but I want more.

I think that people are snatching these things up because they are the new toys on the shelf. The money that I invest into the hobby is important, hence, I want something that has a proven track record in my tank. I am not saying that the Gyre is bad, I am saying that people should wait a couple of years before making a final decision as far as to which is better. I love the concept and pricing of the Gyre, but I will be sticking with my Vortech.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon, Prepping for LPS, 6 Years.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 09:44 AM   #28
usingthejohn
Registered Member

I owned 2 mp40s, and 1 mp60.

My tank is 68 x 32 x 22. Here's my opinion

The flow is amazing. That isn't disputed. But at $300, the gyre is overpriced compared to a $300 MP40. Reason I say that is simply due to the native features in an mp40 vs gyre. Sure you'd need a reeflink or apex wxm, but then you can wirelessly program and control multiple MPs. The gyre doesn't have that option. Not to mention MPs can also wirelessly communicate with each other without a need for wxm or reeflink.

However If the comparison shifts between mp60 and gyre: I would get a gyre. Put 2 gyre on opposite tank ends and timers, and you'll have tons of flow.

One thing I can say I observed in my tank, is the undertow isn't as prevalent in larger tanks vs the undertow shown in gyre videos used on smaller tanks. But that can be said for other pumps in similar tanks

usingthejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 10:35 AM   #29
ghostman
Registered Member

I think the debate over price will end soon when the clearance of the MP40 is done. With the new Ecotech QuietDrive pumps coming soon, the price will most likely rise on them. That will leave the gyre alone at that price point. I am hopeful that a new controller, or Apex controllability will make the gyre even better.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:22 AM   #30
usingthejohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman View Post
I think the debate over price will end soon when the clearance of the MP40 is done. With the new Ecotech QuietDrive pumps coming soon, the price will most likely rise on them. That will leave the gyre alone at that price point. I am hopeful that a new controller, or Apex controllability will make the gyre even better.
That's a very good point. I suppose the price drop is akin to dealers clearing out 2014 models to stock up on 2015 models.

Have there been updates regarding gyre and apex compatibility?

usingthejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 11:43 AM   #31
ghostman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usingthejohn View Post
That's a very good point. I suppose the price drop is akin to dealers clearing out 2014 models to stock up on 2015 models.

Have there been updates regarding gyre and apex compatibility?
Don't know about that, just hearing rumors. I'll be one of the first to get it though. I think the potential is there for a really great product. If there is more controllability, it'll be even better.

Unread 02/01/2015, 03:29 PM   #32
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

My understanding is that an advanced controller for the Gyre is to be released 1st quarter 2015. Apex compatibility is supposedly in the works, no time frame. This is per Carlos on the CoralVue blog.

WRT to Apex compatibility...TerenceF VP Marketing of Neptune Systems basically said he wasn't holding his breath. Something about Maxspect Razor Apex compatibility that never really flew, didn't give him a warm fuzzy about Gyre compatibility.

All just stuff I've read out there, so take it FWIW.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2015, 03:49 PM   #33
luvreefs23
Registered Member

I just bought the 130 and have had the 150 on a 220 since it was released. I agree that maybe the build quality on the 150 looked a little cheap but i don't know why everyone says they are loud, i got the 130 on thursday and its above a mp40 on full blast…when the mp40 ramps up it drowns out the gyre. The 130 has a nicer mounting bracket then the 150 has and it by itself covers a 5x2x2 150 gallon aquarium. I still have my 2 vortechs and a tunze 6040 pointed behind the rocks but i just got done turning down both my vortechs and cut the gyre to 70%. The first generation of vortechs weren't wireless, had cheap dial knobs for flow a only a few modes. They weren't exactly ferraris out of the gate either. I would bet money that 2 xf130s ($480.00) would provide more coverage vs 2 mp40s (600.00) on a 48x48 cube tank. Even leaves extra money left over for an update controller if there were to come out. Im happy with both pumps but i think if vortech or tunze would have thought of the gyre and put their name on the box and pump building it the same way that people on here would brag of its unparalleled quality. Their controllers would most likely mimic the vortechs or plug into a tunze controller but they'd cost a lot more too. I think in a short time a controller update for the gyre from maxspect will put the pump right on par with anything else out there.

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 10:52 AM   #34
Jorgiee
Registered Member

I am wondering the same thing, I am stuck between the MP40 and gyre 130. My only concern is the the 130 might not work properly in my take because I haven't seen people use it tanks my size. I have a 42 cadlights versa its 30"x18"x18" any suggestions?

Jorgiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 12:24 PM   #35
nickdo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehachappi32 View Post
Can the gyre pumps make random waves like the ecotech pumps?
No, Gyre pump create a Gyre flow that will blow your coral to dead, especially LPS. The flow is single direction. Can't compare to MP's random flow. You can feel how MP random flow by your hand in green mode. don't even need to mention the yellow mode and pair mode.

nickdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 04:08 PM   #36
clekchau
Premium Member

Thinking about gyre for large tank and wondering the same. Looking for people who have had and used both, not just read about them or had a friend of a friend who told them ...

Unread 09/26/2015, 07:15 PM   #37
jporter
Registered Member

I just replaced 3 MP-40's (one QD) with 2 XF-150 Gyres.
The reason wasn't due to flow, but rather the ability to have flow just below the water line without sucking lots of air in. My tank is a 150G tall and I use one Gyre on each side of the center overflow blowing towards the front. The Gyre's are actually mounted on my euro bracing and that is the second reason for them. They essentially disappear in the tank and allow me to view the tank from 3 sides unobstructed. I have rock columns with some acros getting close to the top 6" of the tank. The MP-40 on one side was too much for one of the acros and was causing some damage. There was no way for me to use an MP-40 on that side due to the rather focused output. My only real alternative was the Gyres. Now to be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the extra expense of the ice cap module needed for each one to replicate the type of flexibility the MP-40's. That being said, I spent the better part of this morning on the Apex programming some new flow patterns on them.
I was real happy with the MP-40's and used them for many years while the tank matured and essentially outgrew them placement wise. So far the Gyre's seem to be what I needed for my particular placement needs. I have no idea how many of what model would be needed for other tanks, just wanted to add my experience since I have used them both. There may be reasons other than flow when deciding on wave makers.
For what it's worth, I started my tank with Tunzes and really liked them. They were changed out due to footprint size and nothing else. I still have them in case I need a quick backup. Hope this helps. JP

jporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 07:49 PM   #38
boxfishpooalot
Registered Member

The Gyre is the best water moving device out there. I wont use anything again. However if you are worrried about small fish getting stuck or inverts the gyre is not a good choice imo.

Current Tank Info: 220 galon mixed reef.
boxfishpooalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 07:55 PM   #39
90reefernyc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter View Post
I just replaced 3 MP-40's (one QD) with 2 XF-150 Gyres.

The reason wasn't due to flow, but rather the ability to have flow just below the water line without sucking lots of air in. My tank is a 150G tall and I use one Gyre on each side of the center overflow blowing towards the front. The Gyre's are actually mounted on my euro bracing and that is the second reason for them. They essentially disappear in the tank and allow me to view the tank from 3 sides unobstructed. I have rock columns with some acros getting close to the top 6" of the tank. The MP-40 on one side was too much for one of the acros and was causing some damage. There was no way for me to use an MP-40 on that side due to the rather focused output. My only real alternative was the Gyres. Now to be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the extra expense of the ice cap module needed for each one to replicate the type of flexibility the MP-40's. That being said, I spent the better part of this morning on the Apex programming some new flow patterns on them.

I was real happy with the MP-40's and used them for many years while the tank matured and essentially outgrew them placement wise. So far the Gyre's seem to be what I needed for my particular placement needs. I have no idea how many of what model would be needed for other tanks, just wanted to add my experience since I have used them both. There may be reasons other than flow when deciding on wave makers.

For what it's worth, I started my tank with Tunzes and really liked them. They were changed out due to footprint size and nothing else. I still have them in case I need a quick backup. Hope this helps. JP

Do you have a picture of them mounted on euro brace?
Thank you

Current Tank Info: 270 Gallon AGE tank, 400 gallon complete system, GHL Profilux controller, Sfiligoi lights, Fauna Marin Ultra-Lith system
90reefernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 08:30 PM   #40
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90reefernyc View Post
Do you have a picture of them mounted on euro brace?
Thank you
Here is the right side

From inside the canopy - Very blue, just the LEDs were on.
You can see the magnets on the top side. The cord exits by the overflow.

Unread 09/26/2015, 08:52 PM   #41
90reefernyc
Registered Member

Wow didn't know that would work!
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 270 Gallon AGE tank, 400 gallon complete system, GHL Profilux controller, Sfiligoi lights, Fauna Marin Ultra-Lith system
90reefernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 08:59 PM   #42
jporter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90reefernyc View Post
Wow didn't know that would work!
Thanks
It wouldn't have worked with the original mounts. The drive unit would have barely submerged past the water line. The new mount extends the drive unit about an inch farther out. This also improved a sharp bend in the power cord to not interfere with the mount. JP

Unread 09/26/2015, 10:05 PM   #43
Reefnub
Registered Member

I'm using 2mp40qd and a xf150 in my 195g
The gyre works pretty well since it provides long stream of laminar flow, and when it clashes with one of my mp40s it creates a lot of turbulent flow.
What I dislike about the xf150 is how noisy it gets on pulse mode after 40%, my qds are much more quiet than the xf150 even at 100%.
I also dislike the lack of controllability with the xf150.

Other than what I mentioned above, I don't have any real complaints since the gyre is working really well with my 2mp40s.
I have zero dead spots and don't need to max out any of my pumps so far.

Unread 09/27/2015, 11:56 AM   #44
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

I ran two gyre 130 on opposite ends on my 48" tank. I wasn't totally content regarding random flow. While they grew my corals they were growing in one direction depending on which end of the tank they were on. Detritus woukd also settle right in the center of the tank. I added two WAV pumps and now only run the gyres one hour every six hours alternating and then clashing to play mop up duty to the rest of the detritus the WAVs left behind. I'm loving the set up like this as it keeps my display spotless and being bare bottom and most SPS coral, I am able to get 90x gph flow and now all the tips of the acros are growing instead of just some (again as mentioned above that were growing in the direction of the gyre flow.

While the Grye is wonderful at pushing the water, alone they just weren't enough for me.

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote