Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2018, 02:57 PM   #1
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Stuck impellar on Hammerhead Gold

OK. I have tried every step in Reeflo's instructions. I need to replace the seal. But impellar will not budge. Again I tried strap wrench, tapping on rim, torquing with screwdriver.

Is this yet another busted shitty reeflo pump?

Any tricks?

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Time for a telephone call.

Unread 05/19/2018, 05:20 PM   #3
ostrow

They don't even list a number on their website any more.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 05/19/2018, 06:21 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post
They don't even list a number on their website any more.
The impeller spins off in the opposite direction of the motors rotation. I’ve done it few times as part of maintenance on the pumps when I ran Reeflo’s and there was/is a trick. You need to use a screw driver to hold the fan in place and then use a fast sharp turn to free the impeller. The term, “it’s all in the wrist” comes to mind. Regardless, here is their number. 877-378-6798

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2018, 07:41 PM   #5
ostrow

Yeah Scott believe me I tried. Chris emailed me back and said to apply heat to the shaft. Will try tomorrow.

Unread 05/20/2018, 04:52 PM   #6
zachfishman
Registered Member

I had to use a vice grip on the impeller shaft to remove my last Barracuda impeller, helped a lot more than a flathead screwdriver.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 04:54 PM   #7
ostrow

But how? How do you access the shaft through the cover?

Unread 05/20/2018, 04:57 PM   #8
ostrow

How do you get vice grips in there to hold the shaft??

Last edited by ostrow; 05/20/2018 at 05:06 PM.
Unread 05/20/2018, 05:43 PM   #9
zachfishman
Registered Member

I remove the fan (and cover) from the opposite end of the pump to access the shaft.

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:21 PM   #10
ostrow

So I removed the cover. The screw is in the middle of the fan. Obviously that is part of the problem. How did you get the fan off?

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:36 PM   #11
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Probably a left handed screw.

Unread 05/20/2018, 07:17 PM   #12
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Probably a left handed screw.
For the impeller? No. Ain't budging either way.

For the fan? Please explain if that's what you meant.

Unread 05/20/2018, 07:43 PM   #13
zachfishman
Registered Member

Quote:
So I removed the cover. The screw is in the middle of the fan. Obviously that is part of the problem. How did you get the fan off?
The fan on mine have had a side set screw - totally separate from the impeller shaft. Removing the set screw would allow the fan to be worked off of the impeller shaft (takes a bit of prying).

Unread 05/21/2018, 08:22 AM   #14
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Screw on rear of fan blade for Iwaki's are left handed because of rotation, so Reeflo could be the same.

Unread 05/21/2018, 11:29 AM   #15
ostrow

Got it. Vice grips and strap wrench. So the part of the seal that sits in the impellar literally melted. When I lifted out the rubber (?) part the metal ring extending from the female threads on the impellar was no longer in-tact.

Chris by email had offered to replace the pump under warranty. Maybe he can just send a new impellar. I've cleaned the shaft and all looks OK otherwise.

Unread 05/21/2018, 11:33 AM   #16
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Just to be sure I would talk to him, he might want to see it himself.

Unread 05/21/2018, 12:58 PM   #17
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Got it. Vice grips and strap wrench. So the part of the seal that sits in the impellar literally melted. When I lifted out the rubber (?) part the metal ring extending from the female threads on the impellar was no longer in-tact.

Chris by email had offered to replace the pump under warranty. Maybe he can just send a new impellar. I've cleaned the shaft and all looks OK otherwise.
Take him up on the pump replacement. It's worth getting a new pump and not having to deal with anything let alone additional potential issues.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/21/2018, 01:43 PM   #18
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Take him up on the pump replacement. It's worth getting a new pump and not having to deal with anything let alone additional potential issues.
^^^This^^^

Why would you not take him up on an offer like that?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 07:08 AM   #19
ostrow

Have no fear. Reason is here!

I was just frustrated. These pumps fail catastrophically after 2 yrs or less. Without exception. This has to be my 12th time shipping a pump to him since starting a large system in 2005. Even with the better carbide seal I replace their cheap one with. By the time the seal leaks (in this case 48 hrs tops leaking) the pump is entirely shot.

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:48 AM   #20
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Have no fear. Reason is here!

I was just frustrated. These pumps fail catastrophically after 2 yrs or less. Without exception. This has to be my 12th time shipping a pump to him since starting a large system in 2005. Even with the better carbide seal I replace their cheap one with. By the time the seal leaks (in this case 48 hrs tops leaking) the pump is entirely shot.
That’s crazy that you’ve had those kinds of issues. I ran Reeflo’s (standard dart, hammerhead, hammerhead gold and superdart golds) for several years and other than an occasional seal, I never had an issue. Even the seals were minor issues and never catastrophic. Just a bit of salt creep from the spindle area.

Unread 05/22/2018, 08:41 AM   #21
ostrow

Quote:
That’s crazy that you’ve had those kinds of issues. I ran Reeflo’s (standard dart, hammerhead, hammerhead gold and superdart golds) for several years and other than an occasional seal, I never had an issue. Even the seals were minor issues and never catastrophic. Just a bit of salt creep from the spindle area.
Haha. Remember Wazel's thread about the better seal for the Hammerheads? Everyone in there posted similar to my situation. It's not necessarily the exception -- there seem as many who have experiences like mine as there are those whose experience is like yours.

What irks me is, I put the PS-1905 in this pump that just failed. Ah well.

Unread 05/22/2018, 03:18 PM   #22
fishyguy7
Registered Member

I have a hammerhead gold that’s been running mine stop for 6 years without fail. Wonder what the problem is

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2018, 03:23 PM   #23
ostrow

For part of the time my topoff was kalk stillwater reservoir a la Randy. But not for a couple years now and not always. Otherwise my system is pretty normal.

Unread 06/06/2018, 10:40 AM   #24
ostrow

Quote:
So, Chris reports the problem was bad motor bearings, which caused the impeller to spin unevenly, which caused the seal to melt and disintegrate, which caused the damage.

There is nothing I could have done to prevent this, and the cause is unknown.

As many other threads have shown, my experience is far from atypical. At least I know that the higher-end seal I am using -- again along with others -- wasn't the cause. But the rate of failure is not atypical. Indeed, either the lack of failure is the atypical experience or else it's just hit or miss, 50-50.

Unread 06/06/2018, 04:04 PM   #25
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

@ the least you know they stand with you on problems & work to get it resolved to your satisfaction.