Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2009, 06:54 AM   #126
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

To Reef Central

everyone

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 07:05 AM   #127
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: New to reefcentral

Quote:
Originally posted by jamescnz
Hi all new to the forum and the hobby!

I'm actually an internet marketer and have been making a little money from selling tanks online. as I've been going along I've become fascinated with the hobby!

I really like the idea of starting a reef tank, and would love some info on how I should go about getting started, and what tank would be good to start with.

Regards

James
The best starting point on here is to read Water Keepers articles on the thread below this one

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 06:49 PM   #128
Y.A.B.
Registered Member

Just wanted to say "Hello". I'm not new to the hobby but new to RC. I'm usually on Tcmas but finally decided to register here too.
So... HELLO!

Y.A.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 08:54 PM   #129
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Thanks for trying this site out--I'm sure you will stay

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/21/2009, 09:55 PM   #130
Spaghetti Cat
Premium Member

Hi All, I have been lurking for a couple week now trying to learn as much as I can before I start asking questions.

I currently have 2 55 Gal fresh water tanks and really want to start a nice reef tank.

Current Tank Info: Just starting on my Oceanic Tech 120 Build
Spaghetti Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 10:18 PM   #131
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Glad you started to post. You can only learn so much from lurking then you need to start posting as you have done

To Reef Central

Unread 04/23/2009, 11:12 AM   #132
susserman
Registered Member

Hey guys I'm chris, I don't have a tank but may be getting a 135gal this summer, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I made a thread for any suggestions or ideas so please post. Look forward to talking with you guys.

susserman

susserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 11:51 AM   #133
11bubblyspinay74
Registered Member

Hi

I'm Leslie. New to the hobby. I'm actually starting a small 29gal tank. My friend/roommate has been into the hobby for over a year. He gave me his old tank and is helping me start it up. Just last weekend got the tank up cycling the water.

I joined reef center in order to learn more of the hobby and network a bit. Looking forward to it.

Ted: Did you just use my name as a verb?

Barney: Oh, yeah, we do that behind your back. "Ted-out": to overthink. See also "Ted-up". "Ted-up": to overthink with disastrous consequences.

Current Tank Info: 29g FO
11bubblyspinay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 02:25 PM   #134
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by susserman
Hey guys I'm chris, I don't have a tank but may be getting a 135gal this summer, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I made a thread for any suggestions or ideas so please post. Look forward to talking with you guys.

susserman

To Reef Central

Please post the link to your thread and we will definetly visit.

Unread 04/23/2009, 02:27 PM   #135
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 11laa74
Hi

I'm Leslie. New to the hobby. I'm actually starting a small 29gal tank. My friend/roommate has been into the hobby for over a year. He gave me his old tank and is helping me start it up. Just last weekend got the tank up cycling the water.

I joined reef center in order to learn more of the hobby and network a bit. Looking forward to it.

To Reef Central

Its good to have a coach so close by to help you.

Unread 04/23/2009, 04:09 PM   #136
sjmantis
On the cliff by the sea..

Hi, new here. I have had a 30g freshwater for quite a while and just got into salt water. I setup a 10g mantis, he is so interesting to watch.

Unread 04/23/2009, 04:11 PM   #137
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by susserman
Hey guys I'm chris, I don't have a tank but may be getting a 135gal this summer, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Now that's the type of Newbie I love. Doing some research before visiting the pet store and buying a new tank plus five plastic bags of fish and inverts.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 11:38 PM   #138
MacLeanD
Registered Member

Hi everyone, my name is Derek. I'm very new to the whole marine tank world, so I look forward to getting advice from all of you. I currently reside in Houston, TX in the Spring area. I've been working on setting up my first marine tank, 55 gal... and so far its been pretty awesome! I'm learning something new every day, and I'm currently in the process of getting my sump/refugium set up and working. So anyways, hello to everyone and thanks for the warm welcome into this amazing hobby.

216watt Odyssea (10,000k) 4x54,
56watt Corallife (10,000k) 2x28
a few ricordea's, cyclops poly's, and blue candy cane

Current Tank Info: "new" setup... in construction FOWLR
MacLeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 11:56 PM   #139
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hi-derek, nice to see you here on the forum, would be great to see some photos when your up and running

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2009, 02:12 PM   #140
mandinitini
Registered Member

hello there!! new (ish) to reef aquaria...worrysome problem...

Oh no!!
one of my hermit crabs has seemed to have wedged himself into a crevice in the live rock and it seems neither i nor he/she can pry him free....
im a month into the salt water hobby after a long break.. im armed with a fair bit of knowlege in the sport, but this is a weird problem of a physical nature!!
ideas??
hes been there for around 12 hours, his two other crab buddies like himself have been up and on the prowl for hours....

mandinitini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2009, 08:06 PM   #141
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: hello there!! new (ish) to reef aquaria...worrysome problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by mandinitini
Oh no!!
one of my hermit crabs has seemed to have wedged himself into a crevice in the live rock and it seems neither i nor he/she can pry him free....
im a month into the salt water hobby after a long break.. im armed with a fair bit of knowlege in the sport, but this is a weird problem of a physical nature!!
ideas??
hes been there for around 12 hours, his two other crab buddies like himself have been up and on the prowl for hours....
if he got in there he will get out of there---even if he has to leave his home behind as a last resort

To Reef Central

Unread 04/24/2009, 09:53 PM   #142
Too Sweet
Registered Member

I finally got my mantis shrimp and killer damsel out of my tank... finally Nemo, Marlin, Dori, & Sunny can relax in perfect peace. Just added a "chromis" looking forward to adding 2 more. I still did not set-up my 65gal yet. I'm still in my 30 gal. Headed to VEGAS in a on the 16th of May was wondering if I should wait till I get back to set it up... what do you all think?

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2009, 09:59 PM   #143
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Sweet
I finally got my mantis shrimp and killer damsel out of my tank... finally Nemo, Marlin, Dori, & Sunny can relax in perfect peace. Just added a "chromis" looking forward to adding 2 more. I still did not set-up my 65gal yet. I'm still in my 30 gal. Headed to VEGAS in a on the 16th of May was wondering if I should wait till I get back to set it up... what do you all think?
I think it is time you posted a picture of your tank

Unread 04/25/2009, 08:50 AM   #144
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Too Sweet
Headed to VEGAS in a on the 16th of May was wondering if I should wait till I get back to set it up... what do you all think?
well its only 3-4 weeks time, so id personally wait and then it can get your full attention too sweet

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 02:32 PM   #145
mandinitini
Registered Member

thanks!! that little hermit made his way out...he just worried me...

mandinitini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 02:43 PM   #146
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Agreed Too Sweet,

The highlight topic at that conference is copyright infringement on Walt Disney productions.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2009, 07:50 PM   #147
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll wait until I return to home from VEGAS

WaterKeeper...HA HA funny

I will try to get some pictures of my tanks up online

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 02:48 PM   #148
FishFunny
Registered Member

Hello everyone. My name is Stacey and my husband is Scott, and we live in southern California. We are new to the saltwater world, but are very excited. We have spent the last 4 years with freshwater and are ready to take on the new adveture. Our friends just started a 120 reef and we are learning as much as we can from them. We are still in the learning stage and just about to start the planning stage. But we feel there is a lot more to learn. We want to take our time and do it right. (We dont like it when fishies go belly up from something we could have avoided) We heard about RC from a fish store owner, so I thought I would check it out. I have been reading for a couple days now and thought it was time to introduce myself. I will continue to read and research, so any advice for starting from scratch would be great. Thanks

FishFunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 06:23 PM   #149
Aquarist007
Registered Member

To Reef Central

thank you both for joining us

Unread 04/26/2009, 07:16 PM   #150
jball49
Registered Member

New Here!

Hi, my name is John. We just this weekend set up our first tank which is a 22 gallon salt water tank. We are looking for a larger tank, a 5 foot long tank to make a salt water tank as well. We are totally new to salt water tanks and were told this is the place for all the best information! We are still learning so any suggestions anyone has are welcome. We have determined that since we want to do a variety of species in the large tank and sea horses and maybe like star fish in the small tank that live rock would probably be the best thing to put on the crushed coral. If you have different ideas or opinions we would like to know. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, the small tank has had 3 damsels for just one day now so we have a while until we will be putting anything different in there.

jball49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral