Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2010, 07:41 PM   #2376
keith20
Registered Member

Hi, my name is obviously Keith. I am brand new to this hobby. I've been reading about it for awhile and starting to gather equipment for my first tank. I had a glass 55 gallon tank that I used for pond fish over the winter. This last year, I left them in the pond so the tanks is empty and needs to be used. Since it can't be drilled, I'm going to go with a hamg on the back skimmer. I wanted to do a reef tank, but because of the problems and realizing that a quaranteen tank is a necessity, it will be a fish only tank.

keith20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 07:47 PM   #2377
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith20 View Post
Hi, my name is obviously Keith. I am brand new to this hobby. I've been reading about it for awhile and starting to gather equipment for my first tank. I had a glass 55 gallon tank that I used for pond fish over the winter. This last year, I left them in the pond so the tanks is empty and needs to be used. Since it can't be drilled, I'm going to go with a hamg on the back skimmer. I wanted to do a reef tank, but because of the problems and realizing that a quaranteen tank is a necessity, it will be a fish only tank.

To Reef Central
Why can't you drill your tank? The bottom is tempered but that doesn't mean you can't drill through the back. As for the fish over corals, keep in mind it's probably more important to quarantine fish than corals, many just do a dip method for corals and drop them in the tank. Not the preferred way put it's common. And many will make an argument not to QT at all. So the best thing for you to do is read through all these articles and make an informed decision for yourself.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 09:09 PM   #2378
NanoJimmy
Registered Member

Hey, Im pretty new to saltwater aquariums, so I guess ill introduce myself. My name is Jimmy, Im 13 ! I have a 24 gallon tank with 24wx4 T5 lamp. I have two True perculas, a baby Hippo tang, Maze brain coral, Candy Cane coral, a neon mushroom, a Scarlet cleaner shrimp, two emerald crabs, snails, and hermit crabs ! (My dad has a 120gal so if the tang get too big ill put it in there)

NanoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 10:08 PM   #2379
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoJimmy View Post
Hey, Im pretty new to saltwater aquariums, so I guess ill introduce myself. My name is Jimmy, Im 13 ! I have a 24 gallon tank with 24wx4 T5 lamp. I have two True perculas, a baby Hippo tang, Maze brain coral, Candy Cane coral, a neon mushroom, a Scarlet cleaner shrimp, two emerald crabs, snails, and hermit crabs ! (My dad has a 120gal so if the tang get too big ill put it in there)
I am glad you mentioned your dad has a 120 gal for the blue tang--had me worried for a bit
Is your dad a member on RC too?

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 12:19 AM   #2380
eflores
Registered Member

Hi am a new in this forum, iam from mexico city! i have a tank a 52 gallon, and coming a 184 gallon!

eflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 01:37 AM   #2381
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores View Post
Hi am a new in this forum, iam from mexico city! i have a tank a 52 gallon, and coming a 184 gallon!
welcome to the forum, sounds exciting and i hope you post some photos up when you can, any questions just fire away, we will try to help.

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 02:29 AM   #2382
Wukkie
Registered Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
according to your measurements that would be a 228 gallon tank. That is an ideal tank to start with
Have you looked into the MSX line of skimmers--those are a personal favorite of mine

To Reef Central
We do not get MSX skimmers here in SA, I have a Deltec at the moment.

So advice on a Should I run ULNS or go with a DSB, or could I leave the DSB out completly.

Wukkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 07:33 AM   #2383
rodsaw
Registered Member

My name is Chris and I am a relapsed fish tank addict. It started when I was a kid with a couple of 40g freshwater tanks. After college, my addiction returned...worse this time. I had a 90g tall that started as fish only/live rock and then I added some soft corals. Then there was the 35g hex reef and a 10g quarantine. I ran those for about 6 years until I moved to Virginia. It's now 8 years later and I am looking at setting up a 150g-180g reef in the next few months.

rodsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 09:05 AM   #2384
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wukkie View Post
We do not get MSX skimmers here in SA, I have a Deltec at the moment.

So advice on a Should I run ULNS or go with a DSB, or could I leave the DSB out completly.
i cant speak for the capn, but personally id have a remote deep sand bed and just an inch in the main tank, perhaps he will chip in with this.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 09:13 AM   #2385
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsaw View Post
My name is Chris and I am a relapsed fish tank addict. It started when I was a kid with a couple of 40g freshwater tanks. After college, my addiction returned...worse this time. I had a 90g tall that started as fish only/live rock and then I added some soft corals. Then there was the 35g hex reef and a 10g quarantine. I ran those for about 6 years until I moved to Virginia. It's now 8 years later and I am looking at setting up a 150g-180g reef in the next few months.

To Reef Central

that size tank is perfect for a relapsed addict.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/04/2010, 02:49 PM   #2386
Wukkie
Registered Member

What about ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
i cant speak for the capn, but personally id have a remote deep sand bed and just an inch in the main tank, perhaps he will chip in with this.
I was thinking of maybe going the route of a thin layer of sand in teh display and an ATS, on DSB. What are the thought on this.

Wukkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 02:52 PM   #2387
Sisterlimonpot

ATS are you talking about an algae turf scrubber? IMO I would go one way or the other and with the choices you made I would suggest a remote DSB.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/04/2010, 03:37 PM   #2388
mrtaylor
Registered Member

Well, I'm posting on the 96th page of the introduction thread.....something tells me you all might know what's going on!

I'm here on behalf of my wife and I. We've recently found the reef-tank hobby. Strange how it started: We've had a horrible freshwater tank, that we hated but kept alive-ish for about three years. Finally, it became overgrown with algea. Yes, we know that is our fault, so we emptied the tank and went to get what we really wanted: A reef tank!

Like all good North Americans, we decided to get it, started buying stuff, and tried to educate ourselves either while we were going, or after the fact.

We've got a 25 gallon tank, 36" T-5 lights...two actinic and two white.
25ish lbs of live-rock
two powerheads (one rotates)
A Tunze 9002 skimmer

two Nemos (for the kids)
one yellow goby
one pistol shrimp
one blood shrimp
one cleaner shrimp
10 or so blue-legged hermits
8 day snails (i forget the real name)
6 night snails (african?)

Pulsing zena
green star polyp
filter duster worm
frogspawn
and some mushrooms

So far, so good. The LFS is great: they've been in the reef business for 25ish years.

Two small (we hope) issues atm are a slow buildup of brown, hairy algea on our sand. It seems to retract at night. Other issue is the skimmer. I've looked at the Tunze forum on this site and it seems I should just be patient, and make minor adjustments, but I'm concerned something isn't quite right. When doing some live-rock adjustments, the skimmer was bumped and made some gurgling sounds. I closed off the nozzle and eventually opened it up, and the gurlging stopped. But, since then, I don't seem to get much in the cup. With the build-up of algea, I'm sensing that there should be much more nutrients available for the skimmer to be skimming.

Great site, btw. Thanks for the efforts of those who keep it running!

QT

mrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 03:49 PM   #2389
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtaylor View Post
Well, I'm posting on the 96th page of the introduction thread.....something tells me you all might know what's going on!

I'm here on behalf of my wife and I. We've recently found the reef-tank hobby. Strange how it started: We've had a horrible freshwater tank, that we hated but kept alive-ish for about three years. Finally, it became overgrown with algea. Yes, we know that is our fault, so we emptied the tank and went to get what we really wanted: A reef tank!

Like all good North Americans, we decided to get it, started buying stuff, and tried to educate ourselves either while we were going, or after the fact.

We've got a 25 gallon tank, 36" T-5 lights...two actinic and two white.
25ish lbs of live-rock
two powerheads (one rotates)
A Tunze 9002 skimmer

two Nemos (for the kids)
one yellow goby
one pistol shrimp
one blood shrimp
one cleaner shrimp
10 or so blue-legged hermits
8 day snails (i forget the real name)
6 night snails (african?)

Pulsing zena
green star polyp
filter duster worm
frogspawn
and some mushrooms

So far, so good. The LFS is great: they've been in the reef business for 25ish years.

Two small (we hope) issues atm are a slow buildup of brown, hairy algea on our sand. It seems to retract at night. Other issue is the skimmer. I've looked at the Tunze forum on this site and it seems I should just be patient, and make minor adjustments, but I'm concerned something isn't quite right. When doing some live-rock adjustments, the skimmer was bumped and made some gurgling sounds. I closed off the nozzle and eventually opened it up, and the gurlging stopped. But, since then, I don't seem to get much in the cup. With the build-up of algea, I'm sensing that there should be much more nutrients available for the skimmer to be skimming.

Great site, btw. Thanks for the efforts of those who keep it running!

QT

To Reef Central
The brown stuff may be diatoms, however we would need to see pictures to positively identify it. As far as the skimmer I would have to ask how long has your tank been up and running?

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/04/2010, 06:23 PM   #2390
mrtaylor
Registered Member

The tank has been up and running for:

Water: 8 weeks
Liverock: 7 weeks
xenia: 6 weeks.

Skimmer has only been in about two weeks. Also, I looked around the net for brown diatoms, and that looks very much like what I've got. I also remembered that where I live has a phosphate in the water, and we've been topping up 2-3 litres a day. I assume phosphate accumulates and doesn't evaporate. So, I set up the phosphate remover in the old freshwater hangar-style pump.

I assume this site doesn't host pictures for posting, and I don't have any webhosting space these days.

QT

mrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 09:29 AM   #2391
joecold
Registered Member

Hello All,

My name is Joe and I am new to the salt water scene. I am finishing my basement and I want my 55 gallon tank to be the center piece. salt water fish with a reef is one the coolest things i've ever seen! im falling in love with it.

joecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 10:34 AM   #2392
balloonboy
Registered Member

Greetings All,
I had a 75g tank about 15 years ago. Got rid of it about 10 years ago when I started other hobbies (so much to do with so little time). Went to Disney's Epcot last month with the family and the wife liked the aquariums at the Seas With Nemo & Friends and said she would like to have one. Only thing is she said she would like one when we move into a bigger house....WELL CALL THE REALTOR!! Ahh...patience grasshopper. So I've got time to plan and learn everything again. Thinking of either a 125g or 150g tank, reef setup. Whats up with LED lights, I don't remember those being an option back when I had a tank, are they ok for reef or do they require other types to supplement them?

balloonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 06:00 PM   #2393
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecold View Post
Hello All,

My name is Joe and I am new to the salt water scene. I am finishing my basement and I want my 55 gallon tank to be the center piece. salt water fish with a reef is one the coolest things i've ever seen! im falling in love with it.

To Reef Central
Sounds like you have a goal. Make sure you document it with plenty of pictures

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/05/2010, 06:04 PM   #2394
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonboy View Post
Greetings All,
I had a 75g tank about 15 years ago. Got rid of it about 10 years ago when I started other hobbies (so much to do with so little time). Went to Disney's Epcot last month with the family and the wife liked the aquariums at the Seas With Nemo & Friends and said she would like to have one. Only thing is she said she would like one when we move into a bigger house....WELL CALL THE REALTOR!! Ahh...patience grasshopper. So I've got time to plan and learn everything again. Thinking of either a 125g or 150g tank, reef setup. Whats up with LED lights, I don't remember those being an option back when I had a tank, are they ok for reef or do they require other types to supplement them?

To Reef Central
LED's are fairly new, seems one company holds the patten on it so we (as reefers) DIY our own. The jury is still out on if they are better then MH (in terms of light to grow coral) but there are positive feedback coming from some that are using them. It may be the next best thing, they certainly last longer and don't consume as much electricity, so I guess we'll wait and see.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/05/2010, 08:15 PM   #2395
androsbone
Registered Member

Hello,
I am new to the RC community, been stalking the forums for months trying to problem solve some issues I am having. Would love some guidance for my wanabee reef tank.
Thanks

androsbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 10:21 PM   #2396
CoryB
Registered Member

Hello all!
My name is Cory. I've been into the saltwater hobby for about 9 months. I have a 90 gallon RR tank with a sailfin tang, oscellaris clownfish, pink skunk clownfish, 2 damsels, engineer goby and a purple lobster that is about to leave. I have just within the last few weeks gotten a few corals. I have a Coralife PC light. I have recently discovered that I have a severe issue of my nitrates. I have removed my bioballs from the sump and re arranged my powerheads to hopefully stir up any detritus that is left. I have a 2 inch sand bed. I plan on trading off my purple lobster for some more snails and shrimp. Any advice is welcomed! I can't wait to read more of the posts on here!

CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 10:53 PM   #2397
ralpho
Registered Member

For nowI'm the newest member hello all

I have a 130 gal fish with live rock and sand its been up for three months and is doing fine.

Everything in my tank was dead and i had to start it from scratch it was abandoned it a foreclosed home.

I will put up the pics of this awesome tank soon.

One thing lived a snail i found it at night looking at my rocks with a flash light.

Stomatella snails are easy to breed and will spawn spontaneously if they are kept in a well established marine tank. All Stomatella snails of the same species will spawn at the same time. They usually spawn during the day when they crawl to a high point in the aquarium. They then release egg and milt directly into the water were fertilization takes place.

This is exactly what took place i seen it with my own eye boy was i excited when i found it was a snail, at first thought it was a worm.

Well I look forward to sharing my successful and failure adventures soon.

ralpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 11:10 PM   #2398
MikeyB73
Registered Member

Getting back into the hobby

My name is Mike. I should call myseld the impatient reefer. I began about 15 years ago with a 75 gallon reef experiment and got out of the hobby about 2 years after. I recently got back into it over purchasing a goldfish for my daughter. BOOM, the itch was on. I soon picked up a used JBJ 24 gallon nano cube with live rock, fish and a few pices of coral with the water. Instant saltwater tank. 2 Months after that I set up a 65 gallon FOWLR tank that I have a couple puffers and large hermit crabs in. This weekend I just set up and began running my 120 gallon reef tank. My wife is recanting the notion of letting me start this hobby. I feel it is very theraputic. At least that is my excuse. I also set up a 55 gallon saltware mixing station that is connected to my RO unit in the garage. So far so good. I am currently waiting the week or so for my 120 gallon to cycle with the sand and live rock in it.

Glad to be aboard.

Mike

MikeyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 05:15 PM   #2399
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Hello all!
My name is Cory. I've been into the saltwater hobby for about 9 months. I have a 90 gallon RR tank with a sailfin tang, oscellaris clownfish, pink skunk clownfish, 2 damsels, engineer goby and a purple lobster that is about to leave. I have just within the last few weeks gotten a few corals. I have a Coralife PC light. I have recently discovered that I have a severe issue of my nitrates. I have removed my bioballs from the sump and re arranged my powerheads to hopefully stir up any detritus that is left. I have a 2 inch sand bed. I plan on trading off my purple lobster for some more snails and shrimp. Any advice is welcomed! I can't wait to read more of the posts on here!

To Reef Central
couple things, If you are planning on getting serious with corals, PC lights aren't going to cut it, you might want to look into T5's or MH. Corals also like cleaner water i.e. low nitrates and phosphates. You can look at the stickies to get a better understanding on how to lower and control them.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/06/2010, 05:17 PM   #2400
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpho View Post
I have a 130 gal fish with live rock and sand its been up for three months and is doing fine.

Everything in my tank was dead and i had to start it from scratch it was abandoned it a foreclosed home.

I will put up the pics of this awesome tank soon.

One thing lived a snail i found it at night looking at my rocks with a flash light.

Stomatella snails are easy to breed and will spawn spontaneously if they are kept in a well established marine tank. All Stomatella snails of the same species will spawn at the same time. They usually spawn during the day when they crawl to a high point in the aquarium. They then release egg and milt directly into the water were fertilization takes place.

This is exactly what took place i seen it with my own eye boy was i excited when i found it was a snail, at first thought it was a worm.

Well I look forward to sharing my successful and failure adventures soon.

To Reef Central
that's a great story as to how you got your tank.

Dishes are done man!

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral