Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Ab129
Registered Member

Adding clowns

Hello all, newbie here first time posting off the newbie forum.
I have a 75 gal tank with rock and sand, no lights or corals yet.
Added my first fish, two small snowflake clowns, 4 weeks ago.
I want to add a pair of black and white oscellaris next and someone commented that there would be aggression problems.
My snowflakes are about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 inches.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 06:48 PM   #2
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Are they a mated pair? If hey are just bonded only and he b&w clowns are oscellaris and very small then it should be ok. The problem is when they are mated. Also when you add an anemone where they will claim territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Ab129
Registered Member

They are not a mated pair yet, not sure what would characterize them as “bonded “. They do pretty much hang together and one seems to be a little dominant in the sense that when it’s feeding time the dominant one eats first and the other one kinda hangs back and then joins in after 30 seconds or so.

As far as the anemone goes would it be possible to add 2 of them at once?

Unread 02/05/2018, 05:37 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

in mid size aquarium, it is best just to keep 1 pair of clowns.
Anemones are difficult animals to keep. Significantly harder than corals. They move around when they are not happy and kill corals. They also move and get kill by PH or Overflow, in the process wipe out the tank,
I do not recommend that newbie attempt to keep anemones. You need to be able to keep tank stable and thriving first before buying anemones.

When corals not happy, they just do poorly or die. When anemone unhappy, they have the potential to wipe out your tank.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Ab129
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I didn’t realize that anemones were that difficult to keep.
I did not plan to add them in the near future anyway, I am really just trying to peacefully introduce a second pair of clowns right now and was looking for opinions or suggestions on that topic.

Unread 02/05/2018, 06:20 PM   #6
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab129 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I didn’t realize that anemones were that difficult to keep.

I did not plan to add them in the near future anyway, I am really just trying to peacefully introduce a second pair of clowns right now and was looking for opinions or suggestions on that topic.

I think a small to medium size Bubble tip would be fine in a few months when you know your tank is stable. Bubble tips are pretty hardy compared to other anemones, and percs sometimes will host in these.

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 07:48 PM   #7
Ab129
Registered Member

So after reading the sticky it seems that in the long term multiple pairs of clowns are not really doable. Unless somebody out there can tell me they have had good experiences with multiple pairs I think I will give up on the second pair.
I would feel terrible if someone had to die because of my bad decision.

Unread 02/05/2018, 08:24 PM   #8
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
So after reading the sticky it seems that in the long term multiple pairs of clowns are not really doable. Unless somebody out there can tell me they have had good experiences with multiple pairs I think I will give up on the second pair.

I would feel terrible if someone had to die because of my bad decision.

Yes, this is correct. You would need a large enough tank where each pair of diff sub-species of clownfish could have their own territory and then an area in-between each territory so they weren't butting right up against each other. Clown fish are more aggressive than most people think. They're very territorial, some sub-species more than others.

Unread 02/05/2018, 09:24 PM   #9
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Just be prepared to rehome as they get older and pair off. What you don’t see with other people who have lots of pairs together (myself included) is that we have lots of other tanks they can go into. When trouble arises we can deal with it right away.

I also would not recommend an anemone until you have more knowledge on keeping your water parameters stable. Reef keeping is very different from fresh water. Even if you kept discus before.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Ab129
Registered Member

Thanks again for everyone’s advice.
Probably averted a nasty situation.
It is frustrating to see all these beautiful fish only to realize how limited you are in choices if you want everybody to be happy.

Unread 02/06/2018, 07:51 AM   #11
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks again for everyone’s advice.

Probably averted a nasty situation.

It is frustrating to see all these beautiful fish only to realize how limited you are in choices if you want everybody to be happy.

Haha and now you understand why so many people have multiple tanks, or always upgrading to a larger size.. and it doesn't just apply to fish. You also need to be cognizant of what corals you put in and their vicinity to others. Then there's species that just need a whole tank to themselves such as seahorses or mantis shrimp.

Good luck!