Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Ciarán
Registered Member

Exposing SPS to air.

My aquarium will have to go sumpless for a while and water changes will have to be conducted in the meantime, the SPS colonies are in the upper part of the tank (naturally for 150W lighting) and on changing the water will be exposed to air for a short period. In the wild i am aware that reef building corals are exposed to air in intertidal areas, im just wondering what people's views are on exposing SPS colonies to air for 10 mins or less in a captive system while water is changed every 3-4 weeks or so. Im not so sure its a great idea given that their environment will change rapidly with the local addition of new water and given SPS sensitivity to instability and rapid shifts in water dynamics, but id like to hear everyone else's views. Specimins in question are some Acropora Sp., Seriatora Hystrix and Montipora Sp.

Thanks,

Ciaran.

Ciarán is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

No problem. The one that shouldn't be exposed to air is sponge, esp. tree sponge, but sps, no problem. It's also a good way to catch uncatchable fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Snausages01
Registered Member

I've kept certain corals out of the water for 30-60 mins on a somewhat regular basis. I've kept others out once before for 6-8 hours with just a wet paper towel over them and they all did fine for the most part. The montis handled it the hardest, but recovered the fastest.

I see no problem keeping them out of the water for a short period of time on a regular basis.

Last edited by Snausages01; 07/15/2006 at 02:14 PM.
Snausages01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 02:02 PM   #4
LBCBJ
Registered Member

In many locations, SPS are regularly out of the water during tides, etc, hence the bright coloration to block the UV. Shouldnt be a problem

Unread 07/15/2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Ti
Registered Member

sps out of water is no big deal

Unread 07/15/2006, 06:18 PM   #6
SPStoner
Team RC Member

Location: Blacksburg, VA, but born and raised in Cleveland, OH
I'll tell you, but it will cost you a pint of Guinness

Going on 31 years in this crazy hobby.

Current Tank Info: 70 Marineland cube, 34 gallon Red Sea Max, 6 gallon Nano
SPStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Ciarán
Registered Member

Very few people here actually like Guinness, its all old men and tourists! But we milk the stereotype to get tourists and export money into the country from you yanks . Plus when you are into reefing you dont have money for expensive beer!! Most people my age drink shots, spirits, cider, alcopops, lager etc. etc. the usual. Very few like Guinness, its waay too bitter. I hate the stuff.

Bit off topic there but hey, Im a student and he mentioned alcohol . Thanks for all the opinions on the thread, a nice consensus is developing! Just as i hoped.

Unread 07/15/2006, 06:29 PM   #8
jay24k
Registered Member

Guiness in ireland is a BIG difference. I've been there twice and went to the actual factory which is really cool. (2 free guiness with entrance) and it is so refreshing and different then over here. You almost don't want to even drink it over here after. Guiness should do the born no date cause I think the fresher it is, the better. Nice country btw but man you got some ugly women over there

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 06:33 PM   #9
dots
Registered Member

Make sure the lights are off, or else you may cook and or bleach them.

Unread 07/15/2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Ciarán
Registered Member

Defence of our womenfolk

Man, you obviously went to bogland out in the middle of nowhere where ugliness is the norm. You need to stay around the cities for the beauty, primarily the expensive shopping centres because we all know, Lots of money + oceans of useless products = beauty. No seriously, i have found that in Dublin, the standards are far ahead of anywhere else tourists normally go (ie Kerry or Cork or Galway etc.) However they are basically just like American valley girls here in Dublin. The "ugly" ones are the real "indigenous" irish women so to speak. MUCH more amicable and likeable personality!! (Paper bag needed). Yeah, we only have a population of about 5 million, we basically colonised the U.S. U.K. and Australia instead.

We do however have ONE whole decent LFS in the city. Quite a good achievement i reckon! Probably less hobbyists in Ireland than members browsing this sps forum.

Unread 07/15/2006, 06:41 PM   #11
jay24k
Registered Member

We went to Dublin and it was during St Patricks Day. We took 2 weeks and traveled the whole country from south to north. Then again, probably the stuff we did do was where the hotties don't really go to.

jay24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Ciarán
Registered Member

Sounds good thats the way to do it!

Quote:
St Patricks Day
National drinking fest. Im not joking it really is terrible, well if your like me and arent particularly into getting faceless and K.O.'ing in mid afternoon. The terrible thing is its all young people. Parades are good though, if you can see it with about 1 million others there! It normally lashes rain on Paddy's day, EVERY single year!! Its cursed. Still though, boosts the national morale, now that we are the second richest country per capita in the world *SARC* (actual fact!!).

Keeping a reef here is SO much dearer than in the US or Canada. Take a flame angel, what would you pay in America? Well over here it is 120 Euro, or just under $140. I wish the extra money was going to reef conservation/preservation or to beneficial causes for the hobby, but no, its going straight into the retailers pocket because he has a total monopoly! Good acros though! LOL

Unread 07/15/2006, 07:01 PM   #13
LBCBJ
Registered Member

When I toured the Guniess factory they hooked me up with a free Duffle bag! Anyway, it's by far the worst beer I've ever had. Beautiful countryside though

Unread 07/15/2006, 07:34 PM   #14
DitchPlains2
Moved On

Talking Jay24k

Quote:
then again, probably the stuff we did do was where the hotties don't really go to.
Lol Man, I think you got your avatar statement right on, proud father, not proud husband lol..... had me laughing thats for sure. lol

I think theres a plethora ( and yes El Guapo I know what a Plethora is) of hot women in the U.S., I dunho maybe I'm nuts but I love American women, been to Europe and yes hotties there too, but American women are my thing. oh yeah maybe cause I'm American lol

Quote:
Very few people here actually like Guinness, its all old men and tourists!
Oh How about OLDE SPECKELD HEN? Do you drink it? I love the stuff, makes you smell like a drunken sailor but tastes great Then again it's the Belgian and Germans who truly know beer. Then again I'm just a guinny what do I know lol.

my favorite beer is a Beligum beer called FANTOM.( has a little ghost on it, go figure)

David

DitchPlains2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2006, 08:13 PM   #15
SPStoner
Team RC Member

Location: Blacksburg, VA, but born and raised in Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally posted by Ciarán
Very few people here actually like Guinness, its all old men and tourists! But we milk the stereotype to get tourists and export money into the country from you yanks . Plus when you are into reefing you dont have money for expensive beer!! Most people my age drink shots, spirits, cider, alcopops, lager etc. etc. the usual. Very few like Guinness, its waay too bitter. I hate the stuff.

Bit off topic there but hey, Im a student and he mentioned alcohol . Thanks for all the opinions on the thread, a nice consensus is developing! Just as i hoped.

I actually think it tastes horrible, but it does get you wasted quickly, which, about 10 years ago, was my goal when drinking beer

Ok, sorry to totally derail your thread. I do agree with the others, no problem at all. I have a large system, and when i do w/c and shut down the main pump, the level drops about 4 inches int he display, exposing a few of my larger staghorns. They are exposed to air, under 3 250watt ahlides for usually 30 -60 minutes with no adverse effects other than some sliming. You should be ok.

Now to the real important question.....

Alcopops???

Going on 31 years in this crazy hobby.

Current Tank Info: 70 Marineland cube, 34 gallon Red Sea Max, 6 gallon Nano
SPStoner is offline   Reply With Quote