Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2011, 01:16 PM   #1
hoot214
Registered Member

aquarium hood

I'm trying to put together a tank for a lil octo and was looking into getting one of the eclipse aquarium hoods that has everything built into it and seals completely around the tank so the little guy cant get out. I was wondering what expierenced keepers ideas were on this and am very much open to suggestions.

hoot214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2011, 07:23 PM   #2
loneracer05
Registered Member

the bigger tank could work. also look into bio cubes, with some modification they work well for small species. larger species will require much bigger tanks.also filtration may be an issue in the eclipse tank, octos are big polluters.not to say it cant be done it just posses unique challenges.

loneracer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 02:55 PM   #3
MRICKEN1012
Registered Member

I have mine in a 29g biocube. I used filter sponges to cover the overflow. I never had any problems. I wouldnt go with the eclipse system. Not only are the crap, If i remeber, they use a pump to suck water into the filter. That could cause a big prob with a curious octo.

MRICKEN1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Lmecher
Registered Member

No matter which way you go, purchasing a pre-made cover or making your own, you'll need to lock it onto your aquarium. Octopuses are much stronger than you'd think and could possibly push an unsecured cover up to squeeze under it. We have chosen to make ours. Lexan is my 1st choice for durability non-warping. It is more expensive but tough stuff. It will even hold up under a 250 metal halide. Plexiglas works if you add braces otherwise it will warp. We made an access door in the center w/screw down lock. On my 120 due to the cross bracing we made 2 separate covers. We fabricated a sliding screw down lock. I personally would stay away from glass. I have had glass covers in the past and find they chip too easily. Remember you will be opening the cover daily for feeding. Let me if you want photos.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote