Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Chad_P
Registered Member

Hanging Giesemann 72” Spectra

Here’s some pics. This spans 6 studs and the 5/4”x6” piece is also glued to drywall, 2 screws on each stud. The second 5/4”x6” piece was used to help get the light better centered from the wall. That piece is glued and gang screwed to the base piece.

Disregard the drywall patches, from another shelf bracket setup I had.

The light weights about 50 lbs so curious how others have hung. I feel like this is overkill as the mount barely flexes when I apply pressure. I just want to watch the end pieces to see if I get any more pulling away from top. I think current gap is due to me not compressing the glue. I’m just worried because I’ve got the brackets extended out from the wall 2.5” with my additional blocking to center the light over the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Looks fine to me.
IF it's Gorilla glue remember it expands when drying.

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Looks fine to me.
IF it's Gorilla glue remember it expands when drying.

Thanks! I used some PL heavy duty stuff between the wall and first 5/4”x6”. Didn’t realize it starts to cure fast so it was harder to compress when I screwed to the studs.

I gotta feel like it’s overkill as I’ve heard of people handing this directly from drywall with anchors. I just don’t like seeing the top edges somewhat pulled away and. Just hoping it’s the glue.

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:15 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

There is always caulking---

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:46 AM   #5
West1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_P View Post
I gotta feel like it’s overkill...
I do this with every DIY

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 07:04 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Drywall anchors would have worked just fine, and not had been as ugly.

Heck even one piece of wood screwed into the studs would have been better looking and would have been just as sufficient. The unit is only 13 pounds not including bulbs, hollow wall anchors would hold that without a problem.

Sorry, that's just looks very ugly to me.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Drywall anchors would have worked just fine, and not had been as ugly.

Heck even one piece of wood screwed into the studs would have been better looking and would have been just as sufficient. The unit is only 13 pounds not including bulbs, hollow wall anchors would hold that without a problem.

Sorry, that's just looks very ugly to me.

Actually the unit weighs over 40lbs. Not sure where you’re getting info on 13 lbs.

Thanks for the feedback. Good news is you’re entitled to your opinion. Looks fine to me.

Unread 11/22/2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Gorgok
Registered Member

I might have punched a hole in the wall and put in that wood on the inside. While there are good anchors it still depends on the drywall, which i wouldn't like on zappy stuff over a wet thing. Holding up air supply in the garage is an entirely different thing.

And you can always use that board as a start of a floating canopy if you want, or just dress it up with paint or wood trim etc. Or even a shelf.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 11:39 PM   #9
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
I might have punched a hole in the wall and put in that wood on the inside. While there are good anchors it still depends on the drywall, which i wouldn't like on zappy stuff over a wet thing. Holding up air supply in the garage is an entirely different thing.

And you can always use that board as a start of a floating canopy if you want, or just dress it up with paint or wood trim etc. Or even a shelf.

Agreed. I know there are a lot of anchors that can handle some weight but the reality is non of those seem to specify if they can handle something cantilevered. And you’re exactly right, only as strong as the drywall.

I thought about putting blocking in but needed something to center the light over the tank. Needed the 2.5” as the tank was a little further from the wall.

Unread 11/23/2018, 06:06 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

I got the weight from their website, sorry if I was wrong. At 50 pounds cantilevered, I wouldn't have used hollow wall anchors either.

Now that I can see the wood floor, raw wood on the stand, it makes sense, and looks good combined with those.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2018, 08:04 AM   #11
Chad_P
Registered Member

Hanging Giesemann 72” Spectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I got the weight from their website, sorry if I was wrong. At 50 pounds cantilevered, I wouldn't have used hollow wall anchors either.

Now that I can see the wood floor, raw wood on the stand, it makes sense, and looks good combined with those.

I hear ya. I know some folks have hung these from the ceiling but no way I’d use those anchors even then without hitting a joist.