Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2018, 05:49 AM   #1
erm0715
Registered Member

External Skimmer Set-Up

I recently had to move my tank to a different room and a different cabinet/stand. Unfortunately, the new cabinet/stand doesn't have the required height to add my bubble magus skimmer so I'm looking for ideas on how to incorporate my skimmer into the system.

One option I considered was externally via a bucket, a pump from sump to skimmer bucket and a pump from skimmer bucket to sump covered or hidden by a cabinet. I'm not certain the efficiency in having a set up like this and I'm also concerned with the possibility of overflow in the event a pump goes down, primarily the return pump from skimmer bucket to sump. I could possibly set up a float valve switch that would cut the power from the sump to bucket pump in the event the skimmer to sump pump went down.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have they set up a skimmer externally and how did they do it in a manner that would prevent overflows etc and still skim efficiently?

Thanks!

erm0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 07:00 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The dual pumps will NOT work.. Thats a guaranteed flood..
2 pumps even the same brand/model will never pump the same all the time..

You simply need to treat it like any additional display tank..
Pump from sump getting water into the remote bucket/tank and suitable drain/overflow system in bucket draining water properly back into the sump..

Some skimmers can be modified for external use or sell yours and purchase an external skimmer..

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:46 AM   #3
erm0715
Registered Member

Thanks! Hadn't considered the accuracy of the pump flow rates.

So if I'm understanding correctly. Additional pump to a skimmer bucket/container, then drain-line back to sump.

Would an outlet/elbow sealed to the bucket at the water height appropriate for the skimmer be suitable to drain to the sump?

Unread 08/16/2018, 12:11 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm0715 View Post
Would an outlet/elbow sealed to the bucket at the water height appropriate for the skimmer be suitable to drain to the sump?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A732Cuuo2tI

It may be suitable... But if it happens to get clogged or restricted such that water flow through it is slowed guess what happens..
It may also be noisy if not sized properly..

In general a single pipe is not optimal at all..

Unread 08/16/2018, 01:54 PM   #5
erm0715
Registered Member

Ok, I think i got you. So, forgive the terrible paint skills but how about treating it like a second sump connected to the existing. Overflow to new container/skimmer/compartment, duel connected lines in the event of one clogging draining to the existing sump and returning from existing to display.

I only really have room on the side so I could look place above height of sump but below height of overflow drain point at base of display.

any fatal flows in that?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flow.jpg (23.9 KB, 7 views)