Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2018, 02:06 PM   #1
skimjim
Registered Member.

does 10k-14k WHITE LIGHT kill GOOD BACTERIA???

I have added doctor Tim's nutrify buying bacteria during my three-day blackout to control some algae that has popped up.

During this blackout I've seen my water turn milky. Which is a great sign that the Nutri fighing bacteria is multiplying millions of times over.

I want this good Nutri find bacteria to last long term. My question is when I come out of my 3 day blackout will my white 10K to 14K lights start to kill this bacteria?

skimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 09:38 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Lighting won't kill the bacteria. A UV unit might, but competition probably is the biggest thread.

Unread 03/01/2018, 09:52 PM   #3
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Lighting won't kill the bacteria. A UV unit might, but competition probably is the biggest thread.
+1

You might have to dose it regularly to keep that strain going. That's what you do with a ZEOvit system. ZEObak is a bacteria strain that you dose 1-2x a week to help outcompete other strains of bacteria.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 01:08 PM   #4
LED Jack
Registered Member

I always avoid remedies in a bottle because you are treating the symptom not the cause. Algae is usually caused by excess nutrients in the water. These can be added with the water if it is not properly filtered, from inadequate protein skimming, or both. Figure out what your problem is and make the necessary changes.

LED Jack is offline   Reply With Quote