Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2009, 01:09 PM   #76
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bmayzgirl
Hello all, yes I am a newbie. My name is Chrisie, have had an aquarium for 10 months now, and have fallen head over heals for the saltwater world. I am so excited about all the new things I learn every day.........the good and the bad! BTW happy Easter to all.

To Reef Central

and happy easter to you too

10 month old tank--how about posting some pictures

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 06:09 PM   #77
Beals123
Registered Member

Anxious to get started

Hey guys, my name is brandon. I am in the navy currently live in Jacksonville Fl, soon to be millington tn. I have been bitten by the salt water bug! My buddy has some tanks and gave me a 25 gal tank with two false perculas to make my 2 year old daughter happy. I have pretty much taken it over as mine and can't wait to move and get a bigger tank and start my reef tank. Very excited and would love any advice and/or help! Thanks,
Brandon

Beals123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 11:06 PM   #78
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Michael--WK posted the stats when I asked a couple of pages back
oh-ok, thanks scott, i suppose i will just take another look back through the pages, sorry, i didnt notice

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 11:09 PM   #79
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Re: Anxious to get started

Quote:
Originally posted by Beals123
Hey guys, my name is brandon. I am in the navy currently live in Jacksonville Fl, soon to be millington tn. I have been bitten by the salt water bug! My buddy has some tanks and gave me a 25 gal tank with two false perculas to make my 2 year old daughter happy. I have pretty much taken it over as mine and can't wait to move and get a bigger tank and start my reef tank. Very excited and would love any advice and/or help! Thanks,
Brandon
hey brandon, welcome to the forum.

theres lots of guys and gals on here with smaller tanks and most are doing well, however id start with a 75 gallon if it were me, unless money is an issue of course, (it is for most of us) but a larger tank for a newbie to the hobby is easier to maintain, still even a 25 is a good start, read the stickys at the top of the forum and do plenty of research and you will do just fine

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 04/12/2009, 08:12 AM   #80
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Here we go I'm picking the rest things up at the P.O. tomorrow to get started with my reef tank. I have a few questions. I live in the caribbean as you can see I have two options of getting water the ocean and D.I.Y saltwater mix. The 30 gal that I have, I used the ocean, I test the water before I use it in my tank. Is it a good idea to use the ocean water in my tank or should I just mix it? Or the local DNR said it was ok to use the ocean water. (I won't be stealing it) LOL

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 09:32 AM   #81
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I tend to doubt you'll drain the ocean filling that 30 gal. I'd say, of course use the ocean water. You can't beat mother nature. Some people run ocean water though a filter but I really don't think that is necessary unless the water is unusually turbid. I would suggest running carbon when using it as it can remove any trace organic contaminants that may be leaching into beach water. Mixing ASW and NSW is fine. Just make sure to match the salinity.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 05:37 PM   #82
Too Sweet
Registered Member

Thank you Waterkeeper. My reef tank will be a 60gal. tank and I do run carbon on the 30 gal tank so therfore I will continue. Hauling 60gals of saltwater from the ocean shall be a task. lol

Current Tank Info: 55 gal.
Too Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 05:48 PM   #83
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

Can a long-time lurker, but infrequent poster say "Hello"? I hope so, because here goes:

Hi, I'm Shannon. I'm from Southern California. After many years of freshwater tanks, I decided to try a saltwater tank in 2006. I quickly progressed from: "A biocube sounds like a great way to start;" to: "I only want fish, and never anything larger than 75 gallons;" then "Gee, I could try that geen slimer and see how it goes;" and finally: "I really think a 180 gallon tank would look great in the living room!"

For the record, it does look pretty great!

I've gotten some great advice through my lurking here, and just wanted to official say "hi" and thanks!

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 05:59 PM   #84
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

But look at all the muscle mass you are building if you haul about 160 pounds of seawater to you tank each week, Shannon.

Tom

Unread 04/12/2009, 06:36 PM   #85
J Nano Reefer
Registered Member

Hi, my name is Jakob, please call me Jay. I am a 15 year old boy from Reykjavik in Iceland, thats where i currently live. I have been with the fish bacteria for 7 years now, i please do not want people to underestimate me just because im young. Why not: My english is clear, i am mature and i work at a lfs. All the seven years i have kept fish i have only been into the freshwater fish but recently i have wanted more and more to set up a reef tank. So i am working on a Nano reef tank, i am not sure of size yet but it will be around 70L. I am at school currently but i am going to get a masters degree and a doctors degree in biologi. So i am a future biologist that will specify in fish. I dont know where i am going to work but i am probably someday going to open a lfs myself.
I currently have a 100g Central american cichlid tank and am buying the 70L tank soon.
So thats me, and i hope i get to know any of you better.

Current Tank Info: Nano tank in progression.
J Nano Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 06:45 PM   #86
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

I could give a whole new meaning to the term "Beach Babe"

My husband still shakes his head over the fact that I wouldn't let him put a deck in the back yard because it would have created steps that I couldn't roll my Brute over!

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2009, 06:50 PM   #87
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Jay

To Reef Central

At 15 are you tackling the master or doctorates first?

Tom

Unread 04/12/2009, 07:24 PM   #88
J Nano Reefer
Registered Member

Thank you, master first, but not in a few years ofcourse.

Unread 04/12/2009, 08:49 PM   #89
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I hope your Master's Thesis will be on "The Elimination Biological Contamination in the Marine Ecosystem, Precisely Newbies."

Tom

Unread 04/13/2009, 05:45 AM   #90
J Nano Reefer
Registered Member

Hahaha. Dont we all.

Unread 04/13/2009, 03:09 PM   #91
Limerboy
Registered Member

Hi all im from the caribbean (Trinidad) to be exact. I currently have a 50 gallon aquarium which is just cycled and ready for fish and inverts. Im very new to the saltwater aspect of aquarium keeping and look forward to some great advice from reef central.

Limerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 07:08 PM   #92
Nipper
Registered Member

Hello everyone from here in Texas. I'm not totally new to saltwater fishkeeping, but I am new to reef tanks and am getting back into the hobby after about 15 years or so. Look forward to lots of searching and reading, and maybe asking a few questions too!

Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 10:59 PM   #93
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hi-limerboy hi-nipper, welcome to the forum,start with the stickys and hope to see you posting in the forum soon

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/14/2009, 03:35 PM   #94
nemowannabe
Registered Member

HI, well I am brand spanking new at this. Just bought a 24 gal Aquapod and mixed my first batch of salt water last night. I have so many questions. I've been trying to read up on stuff but just end up wtih more questions. (do you know how long it even took me to figure out how much salt to add to the water? it's not in any of the books I looked in) anyway, I started my heater and am goin to add my "live sand" Bagged today I think 20 lbs worth? After I do that how long to I have to wait to get my live rock in? I was planning on getting some Live Rock from my boyfriends work buddy who is downsizing his tank. Is this OK or is it too what's the word, cured? to start my cycling process? Also, any brand names or types of test kits anyone can refer me to would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks,
Ps, I bought a submersable heater.... how low should it go in my tank (can the cord get wet??? and any ideas on it's placement in the tank, how about placement of my thermometer. SHould they be on oposite sides of the tank? can the heater go in the slot in the back near the pump or should it be in the "main viewing area?"

nemowannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 06:17 PM   #95
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Add you live rock along with the sand. This will start the cycling process. Adding the live rock later can prolong the cycling period.

Buy test kits for ammonia and nitrates. As the cycling progresses the ammonia should rise or spike then return to zero. Similarily the nitrogen will rise and then return to zero
When this has occured(3-5 weeks) your tank has completed its first cycling phase.
Curing is a process of cleaning off the debris and dead mater from live rock. Since it is this dead mater that cycles the bacteria in the tank obtaining partly cured rock is probably the best way to go.

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/14/2009, 07:08 PM   #96
nanonubey
Shogun

I'm new to Reef Central, and still green in my knowledge of reef keeping. Came here to learn a thing or two.

250 DD, Nanoseascreations custom sump and reactor with Seaslug bio pellets , (2) 400w MH Lumen max2 (20k Radium) and (2) 80w ATI aqua blue plus t-5's ,(2) Tunze 6105's w Tunze 7095, (2) Vortech mp40w es,ReefKeeper Elite, JBJ ATO, Reef octopus extreme 200, and Arctica 1/5 chiller.

RR 20l frag tank, Nova Extreme light with ATI bulbs, (12) bulb d.i.y. reefledlights.com , (1)Vortech MP10es.

" My girlfriend hates when I use the F word in any of it's various forms, fish, fish tank, fish store...."

" Ninja fish trips weekly"
nanonubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 10:45 PM   #97
Aquarist007
Registered Member

You've come to the right place to learn. Start by reading the articles Water keeper has posted below this thread

To Reef Central

Unread 04/15/2009, 01:54 AM   #98
v13tfolife
Registered Member

im new HI!

i hope this is the right page to introduce yourself. well im kevin im 17 been in this fish hobby for 2 years. experience with freshwater and saltwater, but trying out reef. have a 50 gallon fish tank with a sump, 80 lbs of live rock and 100lbs of crush corals.and i was wondering if a 65WATT POWER COMPACT LIGHT will do for a 50 Gallon?. thank you.

Unread 04/15/2009, 02:59 AM   #99
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

if you intend to keep just fish kevin then it will be fine, basically fish wont mind the light quality.

as for the crushed coral, most reefers wont touch it as it can eventually aid nitrates to the tank due to the large particles and debris can get between them, again though if only for fish then fine, but id add just a small amount to cover the base

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/15/2009, 03:02 AM   #100
PRDubois
Registered Member

Welcome Kevin

Current Tank Info: 225 gal Reef, 60 gal reef & 40b frag tank
PRDubois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral