Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2016, 06:09 AM   #451
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Hi Mark. ... incredible work done there. The tank already looks better. You has courage to do that with so many pretty SPS. And worked !!!!'

There is a picture in your previous posting that I can see palies in the right overflow. Have those gone ? That is why you wrote "I am mostly done" under that picture ?.

All the Best and incredible job done !!!

Daniel
Thanks Daniel,

Most of those are not on the removable panel so I will have to carefully remove using a scraper while sucking water out. Maybe this weekend. My bigger concern is the ones on rocks still. The main center support rock has 15 or so polyps on it so I will have to do some kind of balancing act to get it out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I really feel for you Mark, had to a similar thing once and it's horrible work pulling apart what you've struggled so hard to create.

The one great thing about this is you've come such a long way with your acro keeping that you really should feel confident placing shapes and colors exactly where you really want them to create nice contrasts.
As bad as you think things look in those last pics i can assure you the display looks more colorful than 50% of the SPS tanks on here buddy. I think the cleanup and reboot will blow the old display away
Thanks Andrew, appreciate the encouragement. I feel good just getting rid of those damn things!

Unread 01/21/2016, 08:12 PM   #452
markalot

Took topdowns searching for the scourge. I only found one spot on a support rock that I will try and paste and keep an eye on. Giving the tank a couple days off then will work on the overflows this weekend.

There are a number of crap brown acros now, only showing pictures of the ones that aren't too obscene.

Way back of the tank. I'd need scuba gear to get back there.

Browned Valida

Right above it under 550 to 600 PAR is the Fundip Tenuis. Holy crap.

I also put Cousin It on a branch so I could get it back under 450 PAR. Still doing well *crosses fingers*

Next to it is my Kentucky Bluegrass unknown. Is this a smooth skin? Apparently it needs >300 PAR to stay colored in my tank.

I accidentally took a pic of the Miami Orchid and it turned out pretty well.

So here's one of the tank mysteries and why I snapped and decided to focus on getting rid of the pallys.

Frag of the big aussie reddish acro. It has browned a bit but stayed healthy.

8 inches to the left and a little lower down, the parent.

Unread 01/21/2016, 08:19 PM   #453
markalot

The teal stag has turned a bit more green and shows a few spots of brown but remains in good condition IMO.

I LOL at the Lokani. I swear this had browned out yesterday, not a spot of blue, and today ... maybe I should just chuck all the brown acros right now and stick to the ones that never seem to have any issues.

Left frag rack didn't get the brown out message.

The miagi like tort with really nice purple tips.

These are frags of some maricultered pieces that STN'ed. Have been brown for a long time but now coloring up very slowly. I'm just a sucker for the unknowns.

Unread 01/21/2016, 09:12 PM   #454
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Took topdowns searching for the scourge. I only found one spot on a support rock that I will try and paste and keep an eye on. Giving the tank a couple days off then will work on the overflows this weekend.

There are a number of crap brown acros now, only showing pictures of the ones that aren't too obscene.

Way back of the tank. I'd need scuba gear to get back there.

Browned Valida

Right above it under 550 to 600 PAR is the Fundip Tenuis. Holy crap.

I also put Cousin It on a branch so I could get it back under 450 PAR. Still doing well *crosses fingers*

Next to it is my Kentucky Bluegrass unknown. Is this a smooth skin? Apparently it needs >300 PAR to stay colored in my tank.

I accidentally took a pic of the Miami Orchid and it turned out pretty well.

So here's one of the tank mysteries and why I snapped and decided to focus on getting rid of the pallys.

Frag of the big aussie reddish acro. It has browned a bit but stayed healthy.

8 inches to the left and a little lower down, the parent.
That is really fascinating, does the water flow from the Palys toward the colony?

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2016, 09:42 PM   #455
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
That is really fascinating, does the water flow from the Palys toward the colony?
Yes, but it should also flow up through the frag rack into the MP40. Perhaps because it's coming up the plug protects it? Perhaps it's something on the rocks? Perhaps it's a combination of too much strontium and higher light? The frag rack right at 200 PAR while the parent is 350ish.

Unread 01/21/2016, 09:48 PM   #456
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Yes, but it should also flow up through the frag rack into the MP40. Perhaps because it's coming up the plug protects it? Perhaps it's something on the rocks? Perhaps it's a combination of too much strontium and higher light? The frag rack right at 200 PAR while the parent is 350ish.
If its higher light then its something that the LEDs are doing, it has to be. I have 14 bulbs 8 inches off the water, and the SPS reef is only 13 inches from waterline to the bottom, and that isn't happening.

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
Unread 01/21/2016, 10:02 PM   #457
markalot

Quote:
If its higher light then its something that the LEDs are doing, it has to be. I have 14 bulbs 8 inches off the water, and the SPS reef is only 13 inches from waterline to the bottom, and that isn't happening.
LED's add 70 PAR max and I've been running blue only at 50% ... these are 3 watt leds run at 1.5 watts and spread out, nothing like a DIY LED fixture would put out. The frags racks on each side are supplemented with old BML 16K fixtures and add about 50 PAR.

Not ruling it out, but I have doubts. The parent colony has been in the tank for 6 months and i used to run the blues at 100% and whites at 40%. I just keep having these weird issues that make no sense to me. I do NOT run carbon on a regular basis so I suspect the pally population got to the point where the water was simply polluted. I know the water smelled different. But, of course, I just don't know. I need to continue to eliminate causes.

Unread 01/21/2016, 10:12 PM   #458
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
LED's add 70 PAR max and I've been running blue only at 50% ... these are 3 watt leds run at 1.5 watts and spread out, nothing like a DIY LED fixture would put out. The frags racks on each side are supplemented with old BML 16K fixtures and add about 50 PAR.

Not ruling it out, but I have doubts. The parent colony has been in the tank for 6 months and i used to run the blues at 100% and whites at 40%. I just keep having these weird issues that make no sense to me. I do NOT run carbon on a regular basis so I suspect the pally population got to the point where the water was simply polluted. I know the water smelled different. But, of course, I just don't know. I need to continue to eliminate causes.
You are probably right, its something in the water, i was just trying to reassure you that the amount of light wouldn't have caused it at least from the T5 source.

Unread 01/22/2016, 05:29 AM   #459
Big E
Registered Member

Many times it's not about par, but spectrum..........too much of a good thing or not enough of the right spectrum hitting the coral.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 06:06 AM   #460
plyle02
Registered Member

Progress Mark,
You are going to see some whacky things unfold as your biology changes, just have water prepared to do some larger water changes. I think this, and running some well rinsed carbon will help as you clear out the madness. Looking forward to your next design, I am sure it will be awesome.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 06:09 AM   #461
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Progress Mark,
You are going to see some whacky things unfold as your biology changes, just have water prepared to do some larger water changes. I think this, and running some well rinsed carbon will help as you clear out the madness. Looking forward to your next design, I am sure it will be awesome.
Hi Perry, thanks.

I'm making a full Brute can of water today using Red Sea Blue Bucket so I don't spike KH if I need to use it all to suck out the pally death.

Next design will not be awesome, but it may be better.

Unread 01/22/2016, 06:10 AM   #462
markalot

Quote:
You are probably right, its something in the water, i was just trying to reassure you that the amount of light wouldn't have caused it at least from the T5 source.
Ah right, I understand now. Thanks Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Many times it's not about par, but spectrum..........too much of a good thing or not enough of the right spectrum hitting the coral.
Thanks Ed, appreciate the visit. Yea, I know I should turn the LED off for a while and just use what we know works, but I love my blue LEDs.

Unread 01/22/2016, 06:28 AM   #463
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah right, I understand now. Thanks Matt.

Thanks Ed, appreciate the visit. Yea, I know I should turn the LED off for a while and just use what we know works, but I love my blue LEDs.
I hear ya...........I don't want what I'm saying to just poke at the LED. Nothing wrong with using them, but a narrow single spectrum or too high a level can be an issue.

Sometimes with the smorgasbord of bulbs some people use the coral is just under the wrong bulb. Simply moving it can help a lot. Each bulb only has about a 4" reach of width. With T5 bulbs it's only a color/growth issue, not a damage problem.

Ed
Unread 01/22/2016, 01:15 PM   #464
nemodan
Registered Member

Quote:
I hear ya...........I don't want what I'm saying to just poke at the LED. Nothing wrong with using them, but a narrow single spectrum or too high a level can be an issue.

Sometimes with the smorgasbord of bulbs some people use the coral is just under the wrong bulb. Simply moving it can help a lot. Each bulb only has about a 4" reach of width. With T5 bulbs it's only a color/growth issue, not a damage problem.
This hobby is soooo complicated that I am always asking myself...... "what the hell you were thinking Daniel".

That is why my reef way of thinking is " this is all what I can do for you frag and I hope you can survive ..."

Sooooo many variables. We can just keep some of them and some frags will survive and others not.

Just written thoughts ..... don't pay attention to them Mark

Cheers !!!

Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 01:21 PM   #465
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:

Interesting you say that, I've noticed with some bulb arrangements I had corals perform poorly in certain areas and in some cases it was that the coral was under two purple bulbs. Overall the light mixed together nicely, but that particular position was not ideal. My very first bulb combo used an Aquablue Plus and there was a stripe below it where corals were actually burned. I had the lights very close to the water line at that time.

One distinct advantage of a combo like yours Ed(50/50 Blue plus/Coral plus) is that there is a nice even color distribution.

Unread 01/22/2016, 01:35 PM   #466
glaukos
Registered Member

I think that the guys have a point regarding the light.Those pics look very close to what i was seeing when i burnt my corals a few years ago mark.
Wish that's the reason so you will take the needed measures buddy!
Some of the corals look really good by the way

Unread 01/22/2016, 03:03 PM   #467
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
I think that the guys have a point regarding the light.Those pics look very close to what i was seeing when i burnt my corals a few years ago mark.
Wish that's the reason so you will take the needed measures buddy!
Some of the corals look really good by the way
Hi Mike, thanks. Lighting, water, chemical warfare,

Snow day today so I'm working again. I was able to somehow get that base rock out without breaking anything. It's a fairly porous and soft rock so I was able to easily chisel out the infested spot and then put it back in the tank.

I'm paused with this at the moment, still have some arranging to do and then I'll think about the left side.

18" is not a lot of room to work with. I'm trying to center everything with a little more space in front to make sure I have good flow everywhere.

Unread 01/22/2016, 08:53 PM   #468
markalot

Remind me again why I bought a tall tank?

I stopped for the night, trying to figure out what is wrong. The trench is not inviting, I think it needs to angle more to the left? Not sure.

Unread 01/22/2016, 09:15 PM   #469
aggie13reef
Registered Member

I don't think that it looks bad. I am critical on myself with my scape because I see so many tanks on here that I wish I could have mimicked before just throwing a scape together. I think that the slimer helps balance the left side to the taller right side. Maybe try making the trench wider and see if it pleases your eye more? Or try and offset it somehow to the front or the back. I would tinker with it while you have the opportunity but I know that is easier said than done I hate moving things around because I break things

When it all comes down to it, it is whatever pleases you not anyone else as you have to look at the tank daily

65 gal DSA
aggie13reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 10:02 PM   #470
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Ok, don't be mad, but you asked
It's not following the "rule of thirds". The branch rock is too distracting in the center and it leads your eye to nothing. The lines that flow from the right side rocks pull your eye to the right overflow. The left side structure is too small in comparison to the right.

This is a good thread to get some ideas from: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=aquascape

Unread 01/22/2016, 10:11 PM   #471
nemodan
Registered Member

Mark.... I think that until you get the plastic rocks it will be difficult to visualize what would you like. As said in a previous posting "is easy to say than done". For now, after all what you have done the tank looks nice. And that is,already a Triumph! !!!!. I will never have the courage to do that. I know it by fact. But that is another story.

Tank looks great. Let it settle a little in the meantime the new rocks arrive and I am sure you will see what you want that will please your eyes and corals.

I will read now Matt's link. I am sure there are things to learn.

Job well done Mark !!!!

Daniel

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 10:33 PM   #472
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie13reef View Post
I don't think that it looks bad. I am critical on myself with my scape because I see so many tanks on here that I wish I could have mimicked before just throwing a scape together. I think that the slimer helps balance the left side to the taller right side. Maybe try making the trench wider and see if it pleases your eye more? Or try and offset it somehow to the front or the back. I would tinker with it while you have the opportunity but I know that is easier said than done I hate moving things around because I break things

When it all comes down to it, it is whatever pleases you not anyone else as you have to look at the tank daily
Thanks Nick

Quote:
Ok, don't be mad, but you asked
It's not following the "rule of thirds". The branch rock is too distracting in the center and it leads your eye to nothing. The lines that flow from the right side rocks pull your eye to the right overflow. The left side structure is too small in comparison to the right.

This is a good thread to get some ideas from: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=aquascape
Not mad, I appreciate it. I certainly recognize that technique and the examples are gorgeous, but that branch rock is for the blue milli to sit behind the fuzzy red and get a good amount of light. I know, not artistic, but I'm ok with that. That may mean I don't get the nice inviting trench due to the bad lines though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Mark.... I think that until you get the plastic rocks it will be difficult to visualize what would you like. As said in a previous posting "is easy to say than done". For now, after all what you have done the tank looks nice. And that is,already a Triumph! !!!!. I will never have the courage to do that. I know it by fact. But that is another story.

Tank looks great. Let it settle a little in the meantime the new rocks arrive and I am sure you will see what you want that will please your eyes and corals.

I will read now Matt's link. I am sure there are things to learn.

Job well done Mark !!!!

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. Plastic rock should arrive tomorrow, but the snow might have delayed it.

Unread 01/22/2016, 11:53 PM   #473
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Not mad, I appreciate it. I certainly recognize that technique and the examples are gorgeous, but that branch rock is for the blue milli to sit behind the fuzzy red and get a good amount of light. I know, not artistic, but I'm ok with that. That may mean I don't get the nice inviting trench due to the bad lines though.
This is more the direction I would go:

compare to your arrangement:

Unread 01/23/2016, 05:12 AM   #474
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting you say that, I've noticed with some bulb arrangements I had corals perform poorly in certain areas and in some cases it was that the coral was under two purple bulbs. Overall the light mixed together nicely, but that particular position was not ideal. My very first bulb combo used an Aquablue Plus and there was a stripe below it where corals were actually burned. I had the lights very close to the water line at that time.

One distinct advantage of a combo like yours Ed(50/50 Blue plus/Coral plus) is that there is a nice even color distribution.
Yes, those two bulbs satisfy the whole range of pigments /chromo proteins & they radiate good consistent par. The only variable is how high/low to place the coral.

All the other bulbs or a tilted B+/ C+combo are for aesthetics.

Ed
Unread 01/23/2016, 07:53 AM   #475
plyle02
Registered Member

Mark,
If it were me, I would isolate the corals to one side of the tank, or pull them to a holding bin for a minute. The tricky thing about tall tanks, IMO, is that the scape will look empty if you do not utilize vertical space. That said, a shallow tank, for example, Matt, or Andrew, are able to limit live rock to small size pieces of live rock, or nothing... This allows them to be able to use the bottom of the tank and still grow acros effectively. I am somewhere in between, but must admit, trying to fill 24" height to make the tank "not" look empty is sort of a challenge. If you tank is taller, let's say 30", I would utilize columns, if your tank is 48" across, two should suffice, 60" or 72", you may want to make 3... That or a pyramid type structure to utilize height at the peak may look cool too, then leave maybe 12" open space on either side. So maybe build your structure up to12" from the water surface in the middle, then cascade it down on either side. As you drop your structure on either side, you can make caves, dips, shelves, utilize pieces of branch sticking out to plug corals on, it is really endless. Once you have completed your structure, the place each coral based on color, growth pattern, your show corals sort of facing full front if you will. This way you can consider where each colony is to be glued or epoxied down. I would do the frags after, then finally place your non sps corals, probably down near the bottom. I know you know this, but when water is spilling, towels are going from dry to wet, the water is splashing all over the front of the tank, your pants and shirt is wet, and you start to get frustrated, then I think that is when we lose our artistic potential. At this point with me, I am usually like screw it, and settle for something less than what I envisioned. Please take my comments or thoughts with a grain of salt, I think no matter what... This is going to be a good experience, and I am certain that you will be glad you went through all the hard work, trust me, I have been going through it since November, I feel like my tank is finally where I want it, and just relaxing and watching my corals do their thing Cheer Mark, stay warm, heck, it is in the 40's in FL, that is downright cold for us, lol...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote