Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2010, 08:03 AM   #1
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Rock, sand, salt....quick questions

Hi everyone: Well I think tonight is the night to do some aquascaping...I have 150 lbs of dry Marco rock and 200 lbs of Bahama Sand. I have a couple of Newbe questions.

Can I use Aquarium Safe Silicone to keep the rock stable?
I was going to add Rock, then Sand then RO/DI water and salt last...is this OK?

Tank will cycle for at least (4) weeks before I consider stocking it with anything...

Thanks
Tom

03sonicstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Jocephus
Registered Member

You can use silicone, it is not as strong as the reef safe epoxies. Be sure to let it cure before adding water. And yes, it is ok to mix the initial batch in the tank, although you may get some settling in low flow areas. Just be sure to keep it well circulated.

Jocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:12 AM   #3
ShawnKPD
Registered Member

That 2 part puddy you buy at walmart for about $3 works really well if your rock is dry. It's the stuff you pinch off a section and mesh it together until it turns gray. Also, why don't you just buy you a 32 gallon Brute trash can with a dolly, fill it with your water and mix the salt in there while your waiting for your aquascape to cure? You'll use the heck out of the container for water changes anyway.

ShawnKPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:12 AM   #4
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocephus View Post
You can use silicone, it is not as strong as the reef safe epoxies. Be sure to let it cure before adding water. And yes, it is ok to mix the initial batch in the tank, although you may get some settling in low flow areas. Just be sure to keep it well circulated.
Great; thanks. I'll try the LFS for epoxy as well. I also saw people use "the great stuff". Scares me as it smells crazy!!!!!!

Unread 07/20/2010, 08:19 AM   #5
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKPD View Post
That 2 part puddy you buy at walmart for about $3 works really well if your rock is dry. It's the stuff you pinch off a section and mesh it together until it turns gray. Also, why don't you just buy you a 32 gallon Brute trash can with a dolly, fill it with your water and mix the salt in there while your waiting for your aquascape to cure? You'll use the heck out of the container for water changes anyway.
So just the standard stuff is reef safe? I have some at home...crazy stuff.

I have a Brute can in the basement all pumped in for my water changes...I appreciate the suggestion, just the wife I'm sure does not me rolling anything around the hard wood floor.....boy shes going to love me when I flood it!!!! J'k of course!

Unread 07/20/2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Chris27
Registered Member

Oh don't worry, you'll flood it eventually, it happens to everyone at some point or another. She'll get more used to as time goes on

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:45 AM   #7
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
Oh don't worry, you'll flood it eventually, it happens to everyone at some point or another. She'll get more used to as time goes on
Reefing is the true test of a strong marriage....if she can make it thru this i think our relationship is safe!!! I wish I recorded how mad I was trying to build my canopy last night....she never added fuel to my fire!

Unread 07/20/2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Palting
Registered Member

One piece of equipment most people neglect to get early: A wet-dry vac!

Problem with putting the sand first then the water then salt is that the salt can settle into the sand and crystalize into cakes. That takes a little longer to dissolve. Problem with putting the water and salt first then sand is the sandstorm. Pick your poison. I chose the sand storm, so I put the water, then salt, waited 24 hours, then sand, for both my tanks.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 08:59 AM   #9
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
One piece of equipment most people neglect to get early: A wet-dry vac!

Problem with putting the sand first then the water then salt is that the salt can settle into the sand and crystalize into cakes. That takes a little longer to dissolve. Problem with putting the water and salt first then sand is the sandstorm. Pick your poison. I chose the sand storm, so I put the water, then salt, waited 24 hours, then sand, for both my tanks.
So how long did it take before the sand settled? If I chose the sand storm I assume I should not run my overflows into the sump....thank you all for your responses!

Unread 07/20/2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Palting
Registered Member

I cheated and used a polishing filter pad on a powerhead, along with the usual filters in my sump and ran the return and sump. Rinsed the filter pads like every several hours. Cleared up within a day.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2010, 09:15 AM   #11
03sonicstang
Registered Member

Thanks for the input..something to think about....always options....