Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/29/2016, 10:33 AM   #1
pfan151
Registered Member

Best invert to eat leftover mysis?

Right now I have a few nassarius snails and a few blue leg hermits. I try to minimize the amount of mysis leftover in the tank after feeding but it seems pretty unavoidable to have some. Will a fighting conch eat the mysis? I am trying to avoid any shrimp because I don't want to have to deal with them stealing the food before the seahorses have a chance.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2016, 12:09 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Right now I have a few nassarius snails and a few blue leg hermits. I try to minimize the amount of mysis leftover in the tank after feeding but it seems pretty unavoidable to have some. Will a fighting conch eat the mysis? I am trying to avoid any shrimp because I don't want to have to deal with them stealing the food before the seahorses have a chance.
Have you tried a feeding dish? I use a small jelly jar and an acrylic tube. That way I can put the tube in the jelly jar and use a turkey baster to squirt the mysis down the tube into the jelly jar. It did not take my seahorses very long to realize when I put the tube in the aquarium that dinner is forth coming. When the ponies finish eating then I can suck the remaining food out of the tank.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2016, 12:40 PM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Have you tried a feeding dish? I use a small jelly jar and an acrylic tube. That way I can put the tube in the jelly jar and use a turkey baster to squirt the mysis down the tube into the jelly jar. It did not take my seahorses very long to realize when I put the tube in the aquarium that dinner is forth coming. When the ponies finish eating then I can suck the remaining food out of the tank.
Working on trying that. They're not there yet though. I might just have to let them get a little hungry. Right now I've been pretty much spot feeding them wherever they are in the tank. They won't really come to the food at this point. They are eating mysis well but once it hits the sand they seem to lose interest unless they are hitched right at the bottom of the tank.

Unread 03/02/2016, 09:24 AM   #4
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

The feeding station is the way to go.

What species do you have and are they captive bred?

Most horses are attracted by movement so once they see the food coming down the tube they will head to the dish. Be sure they have good places to hitch around the dish and they will start hanging around there when they know it's chow time.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 11:28 AM   #5
pfan151
Registered Member

They are captive bred Erectus. The goal is to get them used to the feeding station but right now they only will eat if the food passes within a few inches of them. They don't seem willing to leave their hitches to go after food. I'm hoping that will change soon. Maybe I should just let them go without food for a day to get them more motivated to eat the following day? They are probably still adjusting. I've only had them a few weeks.

Unread 03/02/2016, 01:05 PM   #6
iluvmyfishes
Registered Member

They are probably used to feeding in the early morning when they are most active, try watching them to see when they hunt and feed then.

iluvmyfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2016, 03:01 PM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfishes View Post
They are probably used to feeding in the early morning when they are most active, try watching them to see when they hunt and feed then.
Unfortunately I'm not home in the mornings. I run the light cycle from 1pm to midnight. I feed a few mysis every hour or so from about 5 pm when I get home until lights out. They seem to eat more aggressively between about 10pm until lights out.

Unread 03/06/2016, 02:09 AM   #8
iluvmyfishes
Registered Member

You don't need to feed them every hour. Try 3 times with the last time around 10.

iluvmyfishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2016, 10:37 AM   #9
rayjay
Registered Member

IMO, feeding every hour though will closer approximate the way the seahorses eat in the wild. As they have no stomach as such, they feed slowly and continually throughout the day.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2016, 09:20 AM   #10
CritterHeaven
Registered Member

Often is best for sure. But most people cannot really manage that with work schedules etc. If you can do three times that is pretty decent.

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote