Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2017, 08:25 AM   #1601
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Did you call them? Online they are all listed as costing shipping but on the phone typically they will waive that. I got mine when they were free shipping on the web but I have gotten some for local reefers where they waived shipping.

Tractor supply is another option if you have one locally.
Oh yes, tractor Supply.... Thanks Brother!!

Unread 02/28/2017, 08:30 AM   #1602
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Shoot, tractor supply only has 65 gallon vertical tanks.

Unread 03/02/2017, 08:04 PM   #1603
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
Shoot, tractor supply only has 65 gallon vertical tanks.

Tractor Supply will order what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 07:00 AM   #1604
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

rural king will also ship 40 gallon vertical rotomolds for free.

Unread 03/03/2017, 11:54 AM   #1605
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
Love how neat and tidy this looks! Not to be critical but out of concern, is that electrical box safe? I put all my electrical above drip zones and to our local code. I mean my husband did...lol.
I hadn't thought about drips! I did install a GFCI outlet where I plug everything in, and I changed out that box to a watertight box made for the outside.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 05:04 PM   #1606
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

Are there any commercial pre-built Salt Water Mixing Stations available? Or is it all still DIY?

DEadsCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 08:19 PM   #1607
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEadsCSU View Post
Are there any commercial pre-built Salt Water Mixing Stations available? Or is it all still DIY?
You can have someone make you one, but the price outweighs getting one. It is better to make it for what you need.

The experience doing the pipe work helps for when you do your own, if you have not done it yet.

In this hobby while there are more things being made for the aquarist, it is still mostly a DIY situation. There are so many people on these forums that someone can give you an idea for your own setup, or you might find a fellow reefer near you than can help you out with design/build.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 08:54 PM   #1608
Skippy2512
Registered Member

Amazing ideas! Now there are too many ideas to choose from.

Skippy2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2017, 12:47 PM   #1609
zoacollector777
Registered Member

Getting some good ideas from ya'll. I got my tank in my bedroom and don't really have space for tanks. So I am currently using tote boxes and it involves dragging those things around everywhere

zoacollector777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 08:57 PM   #1610
buddah001
Registered Member

Mixing pumps

I want to know what everyone's is using as a mixing pump.
I just built my mixing station using 2x 65g vertical storage tanks. And I got ahold of a used Iwaki 20MD pump.i rebuilt this pump with new bearings and impeller housings as the bearing surface were worn for the impeller. Well at the 4ft of head according to their charts I'm getting about 480gph. This just doesn't seem like it's enough to mix everything thoroughly. Does this seem to be enough to mix the salt properly? And quickly

RIP my 180g DT,75g sump,90g fuge, 3X250w MH w/Radiums,MSX300A drilled
buddah001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 09:45 PM   #1611
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah001 View Post
I want to know what everyone's is using as a mixing pump.
I just built my mixing station using 2x 65g vertical storage tanks. And I got ahold of a used Iwaki 20MD pump.i rebuilt this pump with new bearings and impeller housings as the bearing surface were worn for the impeller. Well at the 4ft of head according to their charts I'm getting about 480gph. This just doesn't seem like it's enough to mix everything thoroughly. Does this seem to be enough to mix the salt properly? And quickly
I have two vertical 55gal tanks and use an Iwaki 40RXT pump that I picked up used. It seems to be more than enough. In fact, I never have the outlet valve for my hose connection fully open (used during water changes or filling my ATO container). I don't have anything to mix the flow with in the SW tank, I just dump the water into the top and draw from the bottom, and I've never had an issue with salt not mixing properly or quickly.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:20 PM   #1612
DEadsCSU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
You can have someone make you one, but the price outweighs getting one. It is better to make it for what you need.

The experience doing the pipe work helps for when you do your own, if you have not done it yet.

In this hobby while there are more things being made for the aquarist, it is still mostly a DIY situation. There are so many people on these forums that someone can give you an idea for your own setup, or you might find a fellow reefer near you than can help you out with design/build.

Good idea. I think I'll have my plumber come help me build one. That way I learn and I don't have a major leak and mess!

DEadsCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 11:29 PM   #1613
yagesz
Registered Member

I used a Jebao DCT6000. Cheap. Power efficient. Mine are used on my awc system. Takes 12 hours to mix fully on my 55g tank. Plenty of water movement. I run it 4 times a day for 15 min just to stir it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

*Sold* 40B - Vortech MP10, Glass Holes Overflow,
*Sold* 90 Gallon - 3 Tangs, 3 Clowns, 1 Wrasse, 2 Angelfish, 1
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:01 AM   #1614
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

I'm currently working on getting mine set up along with a Neptune DOS so I can run continuous water changes. It will also server as my ATO. Hopefully the days of lugging 5g buckets up and down the steps are gone.

The RODI tank (on the right) has two float switches. The bottom switch will open a solenoid that controls the RODI system feed from the tap. The top switch will close the solenoid. In the event that it doesn't, the RODI feed is attached to a BRS float switch that will manually turn off the system.

The NSW tank only has a low float switch for now which will disable the DOS until I can transfer water from the RODI tank and mix the salt.

I've piped the drain from both the DOS and the RODI into the side of the sink, so no worries about flooding the basement from those lines. I'm also planning on leak detection sensors for the Neptune.

I ran a CAT 6 (solid core) line from the float switches to the BoB that's under the tank. It seemed like an easy way to get enough wire for 4 switches and they are even color coded.

I also ran lines for the ATO feed, DOS feed and DOS drain.

I spent more than I should so it looked pretty. I'm going to be the only one that ever sees it, but it makes me happy.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to program the Apex. I've used it for a few years, but only for the basics. I'm completely lost when it comes to any of the higher level stuff, like virtual outlets, Defer, OSC, etc.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:31 PM   #1615
buddah001
Registered Member

I ended putting a older blue line 70 on my mixing station. It may be slightly over kill but it moves everything how I want it.

RIP my 180g DT,75g sump,90g fuge, 3X250w MH w/Radiums,MSX300A drilled
buddah001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 06:52 PM   #1616
KRBNSOL
Registered Member

Spyderturno007.... That looks great. Well thought out and executed.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef/30g sump
KRBNSOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 08:58 PM   #1617
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

LOL this totally looks like an MC Escher picture...

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 10:14 PM   #1618
postaldave
Registered Member

read this whole thread and saw some great layouts!

what id like to know is what everyone is using to control their rodi into their freshwater tank. that is whats stopping the ro water going into the tank once its full? you guys just using a simple float valve since its pure clean water?

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 11:29 PM   #1619
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
read this whole thread and saw some great layouts!

what id like to know is what everyone is using to control their rodi into their freshwater tank. that is whats stopping the ro water going into the tank once its full? you guys just using a simple float valve since its pure clean water?
I have a two fold approach. I have a solenoid on the feed line from the tap. It's opened and closed by my Apex based on feedback from a float switch at the top of the tank.

If for some reason that were to fail, the RO system has a mechanical float that trips the pressure shutoff. I just put the mechanical float higher than the one used to control the Apex.

I also added the ALD module and threw in a sensor. I'm automating water changes out of the other 65g tank, so the last thing I need is a flood.

Unread 03/12/2017, 12:01 AM   #1620
postaldave
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a two fold approach. I have a solenoid on the feed line from the tap. It's opened and closed by my Apex based on feedback from a float switch at the top of the tank.

If for some reason that were to fail, the RO system has a mechanical float that trips the pressure shutoff. I just put the mechanical float higher than the one used to control the Apex.

I also added the ALD module and threw in a sensor. I'm automating water changes out of the other 65g tank, so the last thing I need is a flood.
wouldn't this method cause creep going on and off all the time? sounds like a safe set up but im trying to figure out something just as safe but a low level on turn on and a high level off turn off.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 06:22 AM   #1621
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postaldave View Post
wouldn't this method cause creep going on and off all the time? sounds like a safe set up but im trying to figure out something just as safe but a low level on turn on and a high level off turn off.
I have mine set to fill about 30g at a time. I went back and read my initial post and it wasn't very clear. The hi float switch is at the 60g mark. The fail safe switch is at the 65g mark and then low switch is at the 30g mark. I left it at 30g in case there was ever an emergency and I needed to mix up a brute trash can full of salt water. I wanted to make sure that there would normally (except when I need to fill the 65 salt tank), be at least 30g of RO/DI ready to go.

I'm sure there would be some TDS creep, but I'll actually end up using less DI resin than I did before. I used to fill up a 7g container of RO/DI ever 4 - 6 days, so doing it once every 2 weeks or so is going to be better in my situation.

DI lasts me for a long time in the first place, so I'm not concerned.

Unread 03/13/2017, 06:37 AM   #1622
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Here is my setup all finished and functional. It's been running well for the last 4 days doing the automated water changes. I have it doing 3gpd and will throttle that back to ~1.5gpd in a month or so.

I was battling Aiptasia for about a year and really lost interest in the tank so my maintenance hasn't been that great. Now that I'm aiptasia free , I've really dove head first back into things.

I also mounted a Fire HD on the wall so I have a nice color display and control over the tank when I'm doing any maintenance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3549.JPG (49.1 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3548.JPG (98.3 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3509.jpg (70.8 KB, 698 views)

Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 03/13/2017 at 07:25 AM.
Unread 03/13/2017, 07:19 AM   #1623
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is my setup all finished and functional. It's been running well for the last 4 days doing the automated water changes. I have it doing 3gpd and will throttle that back to ~1.5gpd in a month or so.

I was battling Aiptasia for about a year and really lost interest in the tank so my maintenance hasn't been that great. Now that I'm aiptasia free , I've really dove head first back into things.

I also mounted a Fire HD on the wall so I have a nice color display and control over the tank when I'm doing any maintenance.

Is that Table you have mounted to the wall running the Apex app?

Unread 03/13/2017, 07:27 AM   #1624
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
Is that Table you have mounted to the wall running the Apex app?
Not the app, but the Fusion website. I set the Fire in developer mode and disabled the screen auto shutoff. It's powered off a PoE injector.

I fixed the pictures in my original post so you can see a close up of the tablet. I had the attachments screwed up in the original post.

Unread 03/13/2017, 12:04 PM   #1625
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Not the app, but the Fusion website. I set the Fire in developer mode and disabled the screen auto shutoff. It's powered off a PoE injector.

I fixed the pictures in my original post so you can see a close up of the tablet. I had the attachments screwed up in the original post.
How are you doing it through PoE, the switch?