Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2010, 10:09 AM   #1
potterjon
Registered Member

hanna phosphate checker 713 vs phosporus checker 736?

After reading several threads on here about these new hand held checkers I am confused about the differences between the two and which one I need. Am I correct in thinking that the 713 is just the older version and only measures "phosphates" in parts per million, whereas the 736 measures "phosphorous" in the parts per billion? Therefore the only difference is that the 713 requires dividing the result by 1000 to get part per billion? Does the 713 have the "10 second display" and the 736 have a longer display?
Which one are you guys using and why?
I just ordered the 713 and after reading more about the "earlier" model and some of the frustration about shut off time after ten seconds, I want to make sure I ordered the correct model. Not sure which is which. Just for the record. I have spoken to two vendors and received slightly different answers. I also called hanna instruments and they were somewhat helpful and very kind but I think the person I need to speak to is out of town. So I thought I would just post this here because I am curious to know what other reefers have figured out through their experiences?

potterjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2010, 09:31 PM   #2
potterjon
Registered Member

bump

Unread 10/20/2010, 07:00 AM   #3
potterjon
Registered Member

nothing? these meters are selling out of stock and no one has a comment?

Unread 10/20/2010, 07:27 AM   #4
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterjon View Post
After reading several threads on here about these new hand held checkers I am confused about the differences between the two and which one I need. Am I correct in thinking that the 713 is just the older version and only measures "phosphates" in parts per million, whereas the 736 measures "phosphorous" in the parts per billion? Therefore the only difference is that the 713 requires dividing the result by 1000 to get part per billion? Does the 713 have the "10 second display" and the 736 have a longer display?
Which one are you guys using and why?
I just ordered the 713 and after reading more about the "earlier" model and some of the frustration about shut off time after ten seconds, I want to make sure I ordered the correct model. Not sure which is which. Just for the record. I have spoken to two vendors and received slightly different answers. I also called hanna instruments and they were somewhat helpful and very kind but I think the person I need to speak to is out of town. So I thought I would just post this here because I am curious to know what other reefers have figured out through their experiences?
I believe they measure the same thing, just the range is different.
The 2 min off timer, supposedly has been addressed in the newer units, however if you buy a 713 now you may be getting one from the old inventory.

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2010, 08:18 AM   #5
potterjon
Registered Member

thx for the response. My main concern is that timer.

Unread 10/20/2010, 08:37 AM   #6
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterjon View Post
thx for the response. My main concern is that timer.
I have the 713 with the timer issue which is not such an issue by the way. Sure the instructions say to "shake the cuvette for two minutes until the powder is completely dissolved" however the powder dissolves completely with just one minute of shaking.

What I do is to open the powder packet with a pair of scissor, fill the cuvette with aquarium water, run the first calibration, pour the already open packet content in the couvette, cap and shake for one minute or until I still see suspended particles (the solution is clear of particleas after 30sec of shaking but I do 1 min for good measure), place the couvette back in the checker and start the 3 min timer. read the result.

I lost a sample earlier on but I fumbled looking for a pair of scissors to open the package after the first calibration.

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2010, 08:52 AM   #7
potterjon
Registered Member

thanks again for the response. I guess I will be ok with the one that I ordered. I may call them today and see if they have the 736 in stock, maybe they can switch it out. From what I understand they measure different things. Phosphates vs phosphorous. But with a little math you can convert to one or the other?

Unread 10/20/2010, 10:23 AM   #8
falconut
Registered Member

I have the 713. The 713 measures phophate in ppm, while the 736 measures phosphorous in ppb. The 736 is supposed to be more accurate, but you need to convert phosphorous to phophates. There was a thread comparing these in the chemistry forum. Mine tests always read 0.00 and the sample is crystal clear. I did check it with tap water and the sample turned purple and I got a 1.36 reading, so it seams to be working. I run WM pellets, GFO and have chaeto and mangroves, so I believe they're sucking up my PO4.

falconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2010, 07:24 AM   #9
potterjon
Registered Member

I read a lot of threads on here but couldn't find any that compared the two directly. I'll search again. Thx.

Unread 10/21/2010, 10:50 AM   #10
falconut
Registered Member

Here is the link to the forum I was talking about.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1899666

falconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2010, 03:28 PM   #11
PGUY1
Registered Member

I have the 736. I like it. To go from phosphorous in ppb to phosphate in ppm multiply by 3.066 then divide by 1000. So 4 x 3.066/1000 = .01226, for example.

PGUY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2010, 03:37 PM   #12
PGUY1
Registered Member

The 736 is supposed to be more accurate on the low end, which is what we are interested in.

PGUY1 is offline   Reply With Quote