Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2014, 04:57 AM   #1
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

Large purple tang.. ICK, VELVET OR MHLLE?

Hello,

I have a 7" purple tang, eats pellets 3 times a day soaked in garlic, algea clip available once a day, mysis once a week. His overall health is good, ick is NOT present on the wrasse or tusk.

I'm running carbon on my tank(fx6 canister).

Should I freshwater dip?
Local shop ower has advised me to remove carbon, and leave him alone to heal.
Only problem, was he is Asian and it was hard for me to explain to him that the tang has a little bit bigger spots then ick which lead me to believe it's velvet.

I have methalyne-blue ready on hand. QT is currently full.
Take out carbon?

Thanks everybody. He's healthy and fat, eats out of my hand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.1 KB, 85 views)
Rogerscody17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

If you suspect velvet I would pull all fish and treat ASAP. Followed by 6 wks without fish in the DT. I would also stop using the carbon in the canister filter. People who keep tangs and use carbon suggest some that Bulk reef supply sells, just can't remember the name of it at this time. It's too difficult for me to see your picture properly since I'm using my iphone and it will only get so big before it disappears

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 09:41 AM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
If you suspect velvet I would pull all fish and treat ASAP. Followed by 6 wks without fish in the DT. I would also stop using the carbon in the canister filter. People who keep tangs and use carbon suggest some that Bulk reef supply sells, just can't remember the name of it at this time. It's too difficult for me to see your picture properly since I'm using my iphone and it will only get so big before it disappears
I agree. Picture, however, in not definitive.

Unread 10/06/2014, 01:16 PM   #4
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerscody17 View Post
Hello,

I have a 7" purple tang, eats pellets 3 times a day soaked in garlic, algea clip available once a day, mysis once a week. His overall health is good, ick is NOT present on the wrasse or tusk.

I'm running carbon on my tank(fx6 canister).

Should I freshwater dip?
Local shop ower has advised me to remove carbon, and leave him alone to heal.
Only problem, was he is Asian and it was hard for me to explain to him that the tang has a little bit bigger spots then ick which lead me to believe it's velvet.

I have methalyne-blue ready on hand. QT is currently full.
Take out carbon?

Thanks everybody. He's healthy and fat, eats out of my hand.
Velvet is generally powdery in appearance.

It this tang unplanned so you get it even when your QT is full?

A makeshift QT is just a suitable container of inert material with cycled medium. Do you have an extra filter etc? Have you cycled enough medium to support it?

Don't lose this one.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Rogerscody17
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Dmorty217;23154345]If you suspect velvet I would pull all fish and treat ASAP. Followed by 6 wks without fish in the DT. I would also stop using the carbon in the canister filter. People who keep tangs and use carbon suggest some that Bulk reef supply sells, just can't remember the name of it at this time. It's too difficult for me to see your picture properly since I'm using my iphone and it will only get so big before it worse[\QOUTE]

I'll keep you all updated.

Rogerscody17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2014, 09:39 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Hard to tell from the photo, but looks more like blotches, so probably not ich. I have had tangs with HLLE and it presents itself on the head or along the lateral line, not on the fins or lower body (BRS carbon is the ROX stuff). Doesn't really look like velvet to me either. Perhaps just stress blotches? REALLY bad idea to not QT Tangs though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, ick, purple, tang