Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/08/2019, 04:52 PM   #1
abraha
Registered Member

Carbon dosing and higher dkh

I run carbon dosing via NOPOX and I keep the recommended dkh at 8.0.
I recently watched BRS investigates showing higher dkh, Ca and Mg equals faster growth (see link below).
My question is: Could I continue carbon dosing and run higher dkh ? I am thinking 9 maximum.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video...-investigates/

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 160gallon 3/4 glass cylinder - mostly SPS. 4x XR15w G4 pro + 3x 39w T5 + 2x 24w T5. Apex controller. 2x Maxpect Gyre XF350. Various 8 return, Regal 200sss, carbon reactor, 50watt UV. CA, ALK, MG, NOPOX and Red Sea trace elements dosed via Apex DOS.
abraha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2019, 06:39 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

It'd probably be fine, but only experimentation will tell you the answer. Tanks seem to vary a lot in their response to carbon and higher alkalinity levels. You might get faster growth at 9 dKH, but I suspect that the difference will be small.

Old 06/08/2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

Bold move, Cotton. What nutrient and par levels were they running? I missed that.

A carbon dosed tank keeping 5 ppm NO3, 0.07 ppm PO4, 12 dkh, heavily fed multiple times a day, and 500 par will behave one way.

A carbon dosed tank keeping zero detectable nitrate, phosphate, fed once every 3 days, 200 par, and 12 dkh will behave another way entirely.

Running 12 dkh is like driving fast on a wet road. Yeah you’ll get there faster, but mistakes are magnified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraha View Post
I recently watched BRS investigates showing higher dkh, Ca and Mg equals faster growth (see link below).
My question is: Could I continue carbon dosing and run higher dkh ? I am thinking 9 maximum.

Thank you!

I have been dosing NoPox daily for 28 months keeping my nitrate a 5ppm and phosphate at .1ppm. My DKH is 9.5.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraha View Post

Thank you!

Your alk should be managed based on how much N and P is available to corals. High alk allows faster skeleton building for corals, but they will also need more N and P to built more cells and grow. IfA Alk is high and N/P are low, it can cause stress. Carbon dosing reduce N and P, but without knowing the actual numbers for N and P, it hard to say anything.

I dont dose carbon but my N and P are both very very low (almost undetectable) and I have to dose Nitrate and to some extend overfeed. I keep my alk at 6.5 dKH, but still get good growth.

Tripod1404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2019, 11:15 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

That might be true, although I don't know of any data to show that alkalinity should be based on N and P. We also don't have good ways of knowing what the nutrient flow is like in our systems, unfortunately.