Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 05:39 AM   #1
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Anemone / clownfish tank?

I have a 2ft cube tank that I'm looking to exclusively turn into an anemone/clown tank.

It will be full of bubble tip anemones only.

My main question really is, I have an established pair of occelaris clowns, can I say add 8 juveniles to the tank and they'll all live together fine or would I have to rehome my adult clowns and start fresh with say 10 juveniles?

Thanks

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 09:59 AM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

Well 2 issues to consider, first off most likely the established pair may not accept newcomers, but also BTA is not a natural nem match for occs, so it could take a while for hosting to happen.

For best results of harem tank I'd start w/ all from same clutch, preferably on the young side, and if I were set on occs I'd personally prefer a natural host nem unless you are just really set on BTA's, just know it could take a long while for hosting to happen, but some get lucky and it happens right away.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 10:50 AM   #3
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I think it will be gine, but you wont know until you try..good luck...

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:31 PM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Well 2 issues to consider, first off most likely the established pair may not accept newcomers, but also BTA is not a natural nem match for occs, so it could take a while for hosting to happen.

For best results of harem tank I'd start w/ all from same clutch, preferably on the young side, and if I were set on occs I'd personally prefer a natural host nem unless you are just really set on BTA's, just know it could take a long while for hosting to happen, but some get lucky and it happens right away.
THIS.

For your cube tank, it would be nice to have a gigantea or magnifica anemone as your centerpiece.

Unread 11/07/2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Thanks for the replies guys. I understand BTA's are not natural hosts to perc or occelaris but I've had them hosted by a BTA before.

I would love a nice gigantea down the bottom, but imagine it'd not get on great with a ton of BTA's.

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Kinetic
Registered Member

My current tank is 24" x 20", and I have a magnifica + two BTAs. I also have 6 clowns, one is a bonded pair (but small/young) and a handful of random fancy white extreme/gladiators and a regular mocha. Check my build thread in this anemone forum.

I think if your pair is older and have been a pair for a long time, it's going to be tough for them to accept the others. The good thing is, if they don't outright kill the juveniles, they won't really feel they are a threat and leave them alone. The juveniles will not really fight much if they have an established female and alpha, but if the female/alphamale find a good anemone, they probably will keep everyone else out (at least in my experience).

I've isolated my bonded pair for awhile, and the juvies started fighting big time, trying to establish themselves. The closer they are in size, the less aggressive fighting they'll have, but as soon as one gets a tiny bit bigger, that one will start keeping others from eating. But if you have the bonded pair in the open, and none of the juveniles are a threat, it's fairly peaceful.

If I were you, I would try it. But be absolutely ready to remove either the juveniles, or the bonded pair. I think it's only bad when ONE juvenile is picked on a lot by everyone. If it's just one juvenile picking on all the rest, it's not bad.

That's just through my experience so far! I'm worried because one of my gladiators is getting a bit bigger, and starting to show some aggression now that the bonded pair has taken over the h. magnifica for their own.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote