Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 09:07 AM   #1
Boochika
Registered Member

Frogspawn Polyp Extension Question

Overall I think my frogspawn is quite happy, but before I cement it in place I want to make sure it's REALLY happy.

How do i know the polyps are fully extended, should the polyps be opened up all they way down to the brown/tan branch? Seems to me some of the polyps are still retracted as you can see some soft purple-ish material in each branch.

The only issue I could think it is, is the flow? Zero nitrates and .027 phosphates. 1.027 SG and 8.3 PH. Alk is 8.2.

I have an AP700 and the coral is about halfway up in the tank and near middle length-wise.

Should the polyps be swaying with the flow at all or pretty much static? I just feel like it was more extended in the store.

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 10:01 AM   #2
rogersb
Registered Member

It doesn't look fully extended yet. Give it a week in that location to see if it ends up fully extending. If not, then move it, but give it a week.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Boochika
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersb View Post
It doesn't look fully extended yet. Give it a week in that location to see if it ends up fully extending. If not, then move it, but give it a week.
My question really was about what fully extended is.

How long should the coral 'tentacles' be? Should the polyps open to.the hard skeleton or not? There is some soft looking skeleton above the above the hard skeleton that isn't opening and I'm not sure if it should open all the way there.

Right now tentacles are about .75" long and skeleton parts of branches are about 1.5-2" in length

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Unread 07/10/2018, 11:48 AM   #4
rogersb
Registered Member

The tentacles should be about double the size they are. The tissue around the base will not expand, it looks now how it will when it's happy.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Boochika
Registered Member

Appreciate it thanks. I'll leave it for a while and see how it does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk