Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2007, 10:25 AM   #1
3fins
Registered Member

Dwarf octo in a biocube? can it be done

hey guys.ive been thinking about this for a good time now.
Can a o.mercatoris or a o.wofi ,or a o.joubini be housed in a bio cube. and if this has been done can anyone show me there tank and how mods they did to it.
ive been in sw for under year now. and im realy intrested in these ocopuses.

ive house things that r a little difficult like dwarf seahorses
( u can see them in my gallory if u want)

3fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2007, 10:27 AM   #2
3fins
Registered Member

srry ..thanx for your time and help

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
Unread 07/06/2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Opcn
Registered Member

You have to give us more than two minutes to answer. How big is the Biocube and what is the canopy like?

Edit: 29 gallons is fine depending on what the hood is like, you do know that they are noctournal right.

Opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2007, 12:53 PM   #4
3fins
Registered Member

opcn, the 2nd post was just to say thankyou....IF u looked
just trying to be polite.
i have the stock hood. and i do no there nocturnal.
do u have any idea were u can get one of these?
thankyou for posting tho
3fins

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

Unread 07/06/2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Opcn
Registered Member

I thought you were being flippant and sarcastic.

TBsaltwater.com caries them every now and then.

I'm dyslexic and I can handle spelling errors on occasion, but I would really appreciate it if you could write in English, it would make it much easier to read your posts and reply.

As for the hood I am not sure how the hood fits, but if the hood has any gaps more than 1/8th of an inch I would imagine that it could be a problem for younger octos and escaping.

Unread 07/06/2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Brock Fluharty
Registered Member

Opcn,

If you can't handle spelling errors, then you might want to steer clear of forums. Not everyone speaks English, and to be that rude is a bit ridiculous......

3fins,

Contact danthemarineman on www.tonmo.com

He collects and ships out O. mercatoris, a dwarf octo.

HTH, Brock

Current Tank Info: 75g aggressive reef, 20g A. percula tank, 29g H. erectus seahorse tank
Brock Fluharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2007, 05:49 PM   #7
3fins
Registered Member

Hey thanks brock for the helpful advise!!!!!ill contact him and c what i can do.ill get back to u.

and im srry my enlgish is bad .

Unread 07/06/2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Opcn
Registered Member

I'm sorry you have trouble with english, I figured you were just a kid being lazy seeing as how you are from dallas.

Specifically I take issue with things like switching u for You and c for see and especially no for know.

Unread 07/06/2007, 08:48 PM   #9
justinl
Registered Member

i actually agree with opcn on the spelling thing... not everyone here is well versed in text message etiquette and although i can understand it fine, I still find it rather annoying. jmo. also there are people around here whose first language isn't even english so id take them into consideration... try to dumb it down so it's not too much like a scientific paper, but not so much that it sounds like im a 12 year old with a cell phone.

that said, onto the original topic! a small octo should not be able to lift the hood and the hood is quite form fitting so i dont see a problem there.

the problem i would see arising in a biocube would be the back wall. an octo could easily climb over it and into the back chambers... you would have to extend the back wall up until it hits the hood and leaves no gaps. to do this you could extend the wall up with an acrylic sheet cut to fit and get the last little bit with a lining of soft rubber tubing.

you would also have to cover up the intakes for the water flow with a finer mesh than it comes with.

after those two mods, then do the regular BC mods like replacing the bioballs with LR rubble, widening the overflow from chamber 1 to 2 and replacing the pump if you want more flow. dwarf octos are picky about water so it would require the same attention to PRISTINE water quality as dwarf seahorses.

by the way i love the little dwarf seahorse tank. how long have you had it? do you care for it or your mum?

justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2007, 09:02 PM   #10
3fins
Registered Member

Hi and ill try to work on the typing.
Im srry opcn I speek english fine. I thought u meant english as in spelling . what does jmo..mean ??

I did all those things ....well no i didnt do the wall raising in the back. Im planing for all this in the next month so im trying to get as mutch help as i can. And im very happy yall guys can help me.

and justinl ive had the tank for about 3and a half months and i take care of it for her. She bought this magnifiying glass and just sat down on the couch and just loock at them for hours at a time.
boy its worth it. She was so happy.

well thank you for your time and help.
hope you have a good night.
3fins

Unread 07/06/2007, 10:28 PM   #11
Brock Fluharty
Registered Member

I assumed that he was foreign, or that English was a second language.

I can understand switching "u" for "you" and such being annoying. I thought you were talking about grammar. Sorry it sounds like i'm always picking on you Opcn, i'm really not. I'm generally a pretty nice guy.

Brock

Current Tank Info: 75g aggressive reef, 20g A. percula tank, 29g H. erectus seahorse tank
Brock Fluharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Echidna09
Registered Member

justin- You might also want to try using ' and maybe capitalizing a little bit. Good job on the spelling for the most part though.

When the majority of posts (2 people in this thread) r n langwage lyk dis, it becomes annoying and steers lots of possible problem solvers away. Neither person here was to that extreme, but please take a little time to spell out, capitalize, and punctuate correctly. We recently had a run in with this on tonmo, and I would not like another thread like that headache, so I will leave it at that.

It is highly unlikely that you will ever run into an Octopus Wolfi in the trade. They would however, be fine in the 8 gallon Biocube with frequent monitoring. The other two you mentioned would work in the 29 gallon. I would suggest taking out the stocked actinic (blue) bulb out of the Biocube. Octopuses do not like the blue spectrun of light. Leaving the Biocube with just one white (idealy 10k, or 6500 if you can find it) bulb. I would also ensure that the octo cannot escape from the show part of the tank.

Echidna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2007, 08:09 AM   #13
3fins
Registered Member

Ok thanks..If people could just please stop talking about the spelling. I said i was srry.I realy dont know what more i could do.
if ur going to post on how my grammer is please dont post here.
on the second hand thank you guys for putting it to my attation.
and putting it so nicely. =)

Ok BACK TO THE BIO CUBE. is there a "thing" i can get at the store i guess that the ocotos will eat. Because the only reason why i ask I because the stors online only sell fiddler crabs until september. And i didnt no if they would get shell fish..or somthing . Somboddy told me they eat gold fish? and that person aslo said het gets somthing at the gorcery store.
so they eat crabs..snails fiddler crabs..shrimp..goldfish..what els..and were can u get them in big nummbers for little $.

well anyway thank you for being nice about things
hope u have a great day
3fins

Unread 07/07/2007, 01:17 PM   #14
justinl
Registered Member

bah, who needs apostrophes?

where can you get cheap food? grocery aisle. no guarantee the octo will take to frozen though. yes generally octos can take down small fish. I would not use freshwater feeder fish like goldfish though. stick to marine flesh because freshwater feeders lack the right nutritional value for a marine organism. problem is that marine live food can be expensive... maybe you could set up a tank just for acclimating mollies to full saltwater? then you could gut load them and i think that would suffice. or even just gut load some cheap freshwater shrimp?

btw, "jmo" means "just my opinion"

justinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2007, 02:42 PM   #15
3fins
Registered Member

lol thanks ...hey what about glass shrimp.....there only 26cencts...or what can u get from the frozen aisle.

mollies can to go saltwater?. .....i had no idea. plz tell me more
thanks again
3fins

Unread 07/07/2007, 06:04 PM   #16
Echidna09
Registered Member

Stick to inverts when feeding a cephalopod. Even saltwater fish aren't very healthy for them. They will happily eat them though. They will also eat shrimps, crabs, snails, muscles, and other bivalves. Lots of people feed them fiddler crabs and snails. If you can get them to eat frozen it has to be raw (grey) frozen table shrimp. Plan on live food though, and if you can get it to eat frozen, your pocketbook will smile.

Echidna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2007, 06:43 PM   #17
3fins
Registered Member

Hey thanks echidna09...that was very hepfull.

Unread 07/29/2007, 11:34 AM   #18
ryan_paskadi
Registered Member

You can house it in a cereal bowl if you can meet the right conditions, but the smaller the tank the harder that is to do. I have read that dwarf octopus eat snails, clams, and hermit crabs as part of there natural diet.

About escaping….the only limiting part of an octopus is its beak. If it can fit its beak through a space the body can follow. So with small or dwarf octopus this could be a real problem if they are a species prone to escaping.

ryan_paskadi is offline   Reply With Quote