Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2018, 09:25 PM   #1
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Which pump size should I get

Hello all. I am currently in the process of setting up a custom 40B mixed reef. I hace done all of the work to get it up and running (i.e., drilled the tank, installed all of the plumbing, built the sump, etc...). I currently have the system running with tap water to test it put before moving on. I still need to get the skimmer and wave maker pumps. I have already decided on the Reef Octopus Classic 110 needle wheel skimmer, but am going back and forth on the wave maker pumps.

I simply am not willing to spend the money on Vortech pumps, so I will be going with Jebao, I have had great success with them in the past. The problem is in deciding what size to get. I was originally planning on getting the OW-25, but I am concerned that they will be too big and stick out too much in the tank. The OW-10 is smaller and seems like a good fit, but it has half the flow. If this was your tank which would you get, the OW-25 or the OW-10? Is the 25 really that much larger than the 10?

I appreciate your feedback, and understand that these are not the greatest pumps on the market, but for my needs they are perfect for now.

Unread 05/21/2018, 05:06 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

If you are looking for controllable wave makers and size is the major issue, look into the Current eFlux. They aren't much bigger than a golf ball and one controller can run two pumps.

If size of the unit isn't so much a concern but flow is, the Jebao PP4 or PP8 (or equivalent newer model) controllable pumps are great. I've got two PP8's in my 90g and a buddy has the eFlux so I've got hands on experience with both.

Return pump: same, you can get away with a Jebao or similar for "X" number of years. People have their opinions and some have lasted just months while others have lasted years. The more expensive quality built branded return pumps can last 10 years or more. For the most part with return pumps, you get what you pay for.

Unread 05/22/2018, 06:16 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you actually want to take advantage of all the features of it then nothing bigger than PP4/SW4/OW10 pumps on a 40B..
2 of them would be good...
Anything larger and you will just be blowing sand all over the place..

What sand are you using BTW? If oolitic/sugar sand I recommend changing that now as its too fine..