Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2013, 08:48 AM   #326
Dj22192
Registered Member

Quarintine

Most people don't have a quarantine tank because of the extra expense and maintenance that the tank will require. However a quarantine tank doesn't need to be large or expensive, and in the end it will pay for itself many times over. In fact, once someone gets into the habit of using a quarantine tank, they are so impressed with the benefits and uses that they would never be without one.

Dj22192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 08:48 AM   #327
Dj22192
Registered Member

Tank

In addition to preventing the spread of infectious disease, quarantine tanks allow the new fish to get adjusted to a new type of water and food. When they are not being used for quarantine, these tanks can also double as treatment tanks. Treating the entire display tank for a problem that only infects a few fish is not a good practice. Quarantine tanks allow the infected fish to be safely treated without damaging fragile species or water quality in the display tank. Another use of quarantine tanks is to provide a breeding area for fish, a recovery area for harassed fish and a place to allow newly hatched fish to safely grow.

Dj22192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 09:59 AM   #328
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

nicely put Dj22192.. No QT is like playing Russian Roulette. For instance lets take this situation the most i hear over my 15+ yrs.
"i have never quarantined any fish i buy from reputable source or my lfs qt's them for me i have never had ich" guess what after putting several hundred dollars of fish that last fish brings ich or parasite to ur tank wiping it out clean.
Mark my words it will happen one day (without qt).

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2013, 07:13 PM   #329
nickbuol
Registered Member

I was told during a breakout session during a regional marine expo that all fish have parasites and diseases from the ocean, or exposure to fish from the ocean. Some never show signs of anything at all, so then you shorten their time in the QT because everything "looks" ok. Into the DT they go, and bam... The other fish have an Ich breakout.

So be sure (regardless of if you are in the medicate always, only if you see something, or never camps) to do a full quarantine each and every time.

Da-dum...
Da-dum...
Da-dum-da-dum-da-dum
nickbuol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 12:01 PM   #330
NH Fish
Registered Member

Is there a chance that ich can be carried in on a piece of coral? and if so should the coral be qt after dipping? Or is chance to low to worry about it?

NH Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2013, 12:13 PM   #331
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

chances for that is low but there. dipping corals in coral dips will NOT rid ich.
So yes there is a low risk here.
Qt'ing corals is totally your call. i personally dont. like nickbuol said in earlier post every fish carries parasites and disease from the oceans and to me chances of such fish bringing something to ur tank is much higher than corals.
But if u do decide to qt corals (some reefers do) then u have to make sure that QT setup never saw and or never sees copper plus u will need to make sure that water chemistry is perfect and water changes ato dosing etc are on top of ur priority along with appropriate lighting.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Unread 01/31/2013, 10:51 AM   #332
NH Fish
Registered Member

Can you dose prazipro while in hypo?

Last edited by NH Fish; 01/31/2013 at 10:56 AM.
NH Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2013, 12:20 PM   #333
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i personally have never tried it but i know few reefers that have successfully run hypo and prazipro at same time.
Recommendation is to stop using the skimmer.
here is a link for you.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?p=16695128

Unread 02/01/2013, 11:30 AM   #334
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Email Question:

Regarding a QT tank
Hi there, i understand you are an expert in this hobby and i would love some input from you regarding my tank, So far i have all the equipment for my Display tank and by next weekend I should have it setup Im now in the process of starting a quarantine tank for any fish i buy to sit in until ready to go in the DT. My question is, after i have the tank with fresh saltwater made in it with a heater, hang on filter and a tunze for waves, is it then ready to go? i can bring fish to sit in it while my new DP tank gets cycled for several weeks? Also is it only one fish at a time?

One last thing, what do I add to the tank to assure no parasites are brought to my tank, and where to buy it as well as how to use it?

I just want to make sure i do everything right the first time with no screw ups, i spent 3,500 in total and I would hate to mess anything up.

Thanks a lot for the help, its much appreciated.

Ryan

Hi Ryan
If u just put a tank together and put equipment in and run it its NOT ready.
you need some sort of bacteria to be introduced in it to be cycled and ready. either u can get a filter seeded from an established tank or get cured seeded live rock or cycle the tank by putting a frozen shrimp in it.
i strongly suggest to cycle both tanks (qt and dt).
once u have the qt cycled then u can add first fish or two. use prazipro for 2 weeks.
then observe for 4 more weeks after that.
treat accordingly if there are any parasites or diseases observed.
If ur fish happen to be tangs then process is a bit different. i do 2 weeks of prazipro then 3 weeks of cupramine. and then 2 weeks observation.
i understand this hobby is not cheap and a little fault at our end can cost you to get out of the hobby so yah, take ur time and ask as many questions u have.
i have a sticky thread on top of the new to saltwater forum you can post any questions there.
This way everyone can learn off ur question and my remarks.
Thanks and good luck and happy reefing.
Note: i will post this on the forum as well for other to benefit.

Mike

Unread 02/01/2013, 11:45 AM   #335
chaaban
Registered Member

Thx a lot! And trust me from what i understand and can see i believe you far better then a reef doctor lol.

I think i will go with the shrimp rout for the QT tank and I'm still debating on what to do with my DT, do i use all dry rock/sand and seed with shrimp to avoid any unwanted pets from live rock? Initially i was going that route so i wouldn't introduce anything bad to my tank but people on here started telling me that i will never get the tank to look the way i want it with all that coraline algae and purple if i don't use some live rock...what do you think?

chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2013, 11:49 AM   #336
chaaban
Registered Member

As for purchasing cupramine, and Prazipro, would theses two products be the right thing to buy?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=md-hpraz04

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s..._ID=sc-cup0250

Unread 02/01/2013, 11:56 AM   #337
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

yup thats the right products. also pick up a good copper test kit if u use cupramine and a ammonia badge from petco/petsmart.

Unread 02/01/2013, 12:08 PM   #338
chaaban
Registered Member

sounds good, ill order these two online with the copper test kit and ill look for the "ammonia badge" at pets mart....unless all can be purchased from petsmart?

One more question regarding meds and stuff, for my corals that i will be buying to introduce to my new DT after cycle, what is the best product to use when "dipping" then rinsing with tank water before adding to tank?

Unread 02/01/2013, 12:12 PM   #339
chaaban
Registered Member

please confirm these are the right products to test the copper and ammonia.

Unread 02/01/2013, 12:21 PM   #340
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

yes those two are exactly what i have, this test kit is not as good, it does the job but i have heard that salifert copper is better. i personally have a hanna low range copper meter (pricy but good $300+) that i use.

Unread 02/01/2013, 12:25 PM   #341
chaaban
Registered Member

$300 is definitely out of my range lol, so i think ill go with what you recommend to be better and that would be the salifert copper?

Unread 02/01/2013, 12:37 PM   #342
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

yes that is the salifert copper kit, i have heard its easy to use and better than seachem.

Unread 02/04/2013, 12:37 PM   #343
borg1of2
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great information. My QT is up and running and now home to our first two fishes (clowns). My order for Prazipro didn't come in as expected, so just wanted to check to make sure that it's OK to add to the QT with the fish already in. Understand that this will start my counter at that point, but wanted to make sure.

Also, would like some guidance on what to look for when oberving the fish over the next several weeks. I am familiar with ick from fresh water and assume it's the same visible white spots on salt water fish, but what other things am I looking for, visible and behavioral?

Final question - Just wanted to confirm that after the two weeks with Prazipro, do a 25% water change, twice during the 3rd week, and go ahead and change the filter. Should I switch to a carbon based filter at that point? Then continue to observe and watch QT parameters doing a water change weekly or as needed.

borg1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 12:49 PM   #344
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

yes ur 2 week counter will start at the time u dose prazipro. after 2 weeks do 4-5x 25% water changes. no need to change filters as they contain bacteria and replacing them will cause a cycle. u can run carbon in some other form (reactor or media sock) if u like.
then over next 4 weeks look for worms, ich, heavy breathing white or black specks. fish not eating etc.

Unread 02/04/2013, 01:03 PM   #345
borg1of2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
yes ur 2 week counter will start at the time u dose prazipro. after 2 weeks do 4-5x 25% water changes. no need to change filters as they contain bacteria and replacing them will cause a cycle. u can run carbon in some other form (reactor or media sock) if u like.
then over next 4 weeks look for worms, ich, heavy breathing white or black specks. fish not eating etc.
Over what period of time should the 4-5x 25% water changes be done?

What paramters do you recommend for your QT. My 10 Gal is running at 1.025 SG at about 76 degrees. Which parameter is likely to increase now that there is bio load in the tank? How fast with just the two fish and a HOB filter running?

borg1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 02:07 PM   #346
reefmandan
Registered Member

I have a 25g QT setup, cycled and have 2 damsels in it currently. I do weekly 20% water changes and watch NO3 (0 -0.2) and NO4 (20), no ammonia, PH is 8.2 and sg = 1.025, temp is 79.2 - 80.2. Other than the damsels, how many fish can I safely put together and do they all need to be treated before being put into DT or just watched? Damsels will stay in QT. I have 2 HOB Penguin 200 filters with bacteria activated blue filter material from DT sump.

Sorry my list for fish:

1 - Flame Angelfish (Last)
(Centropyge loriculus)

3 - Bartlett's Anthias
(Pseudanthias bartlettorum)

2 - True Percula Clownfish (paired, tank-bred)
(Amphiprion percula)

1 - Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
(Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)

1 - Yellowtail Reef Basslet
(Liopropoma mitratum)

Last edited by reefmandan; 02/04/2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added filtration
reefmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 04:09 PM   #347
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg1of2 View Post
Over what period of time should the 4-5x 25% water changes be done?

What paramters do you recommend for your QT. My 10 Gal is running at 1.025 SG at about 76 degrees. Which parameter is likely to increase now that there is bio load in the tank? How fast with just the two fish and a HOB filter running?
in qt i dont monitor much, just salinity and temp. salinity i keep at 1.026 and temp i keep it at 80-81. reason for higher temp is that warmer water fastens some parasites life cycle.
other than just ammonia and nitrites. rest is not relevant in qt.
i personally do 2x 50% water change with in 1 week. reason is to get all the prazipro out of the water in case u have to dose some other med. mixing meds is never a good idea.
ammonia and nitrites are only 2 u need to keep eye on. if qt was cycled properly you shouldnt have an issue.

Unread 02/04/2013, 04:16 PM   #348
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmandan View Post
I have a 25g QT setup, cycled and have 2 damsels in it currently. I do weekly 20% water changes and watch NO3 (0 -0.2) and NO4 (20), no ammonia, PH is 8.2 and sg = 1.025, temp is 79.2 - 80.2. Other than the damsels, how many fish can I safely put together and do they all need to be treated before being put into DT or just watched? Damsels will stay in QT. I have 2 HOB Penguin 200 filters with bacteria activated blue filter material from DT sump.

Sorry my list for fish:

1 - Flame Angelfish (Last)
(Centropyge loriculus)

3 - Bartlett's Anthias
(Pseudanthias bartlettorum)

2 - True Percula Clownfish (paired, tank-bred)
(Amphiprion percula)

1 - Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
(Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)

1 - Yellowtail Reef Basslet
(Liopropoma mitratum)
Those fish are all mostly easy and small size fish. you can probably get away will all at same time but if u see any problem from the damsels then use a divider made of egg crate to separate them.
i would just use prazipro first 2 weeks and then observe over next 4 weeks after that.
some fish on the list are not advisable for copper treatment just in case.

Note: sorry i didnt notice the quantities ur planning on keeping (some upto 3) so divide the list into 2. get the clowns and anthias first time and then rest next time.

Unread 02/04/2013, 06:43 PM   #349
Reefneophyte007
Registered Member

Could not find the answer to this question. If treating with copper based medication (I'm currently using Coppersafe) does evaporation water need to be treated as well or is it like salt where the copper does not evaporate with the water?

Reefneophyte007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2013, 07:08 PM   #350
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefneophyte007 View Post
Could not find the answer to this question. If treating with copper based medication (I'm currently using Coppersafe) does evaporation water need to be treated as well or is it like salt where the copper does not evaporate with the water?
very good question....
as water evaporates it leave behind the minerals salts and metals. so as tank water evaporates it leaves the copper behind as well so increasing the copper content slightly. this is why an ato is a good option for a qt tank.
so a short answer to ur question is no u dont have to treat ato water.