Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2013, 09:56 PM   #1
squishifishi
Hopelesly Addicted Member

most important supplement for coral?

I wasn't planning on dosing any supplements, but now, I am beginning to understand that this is an improtant part of reef keeping. My tiny reef is mostly softies, with lps corals too. So, hypothetically, if I could only dose ONE supplement...which should it be? what is most important to the general health of corals?
what would you reccomend I really use in my pico reef? thanks!

"pictures at last"
in the nano forums:)

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
squishifishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 07:25 PM   #2
accordsirh22
Registered Member

seachems aquavitro fuel is wonderful in my book. its an amino acid and vitamin supplement

accordsirh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

it's very important to define what you mean by "supplement"

There are major and minor constituents of seawater that get depleted by corals and need to be supplemented and then there are other things (for lack of a better word!)
Calcifying organisms (ie: growing corals) deplete calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. These are major elements of saltwater and you MUST maintain their proper levels if you are to be successful with living corals.

<----For my reef aquarium I concern myself with levels of calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phophates, nitrates.

"Vitamins" and such are a waste of money and you can spend hundreds of dollars on useless "snake oils".
A good rule is : if you don't test for it don't dose it.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishifishi View Post
what is most important to the general health of corals? what would you reccomend I really use in my pico reef? thanks!
feed good quality foods and PROPERLY perform regular partial water changes. Monitor SG, Ca, alkalinty, Mg and temp.

Unread 04/29/2013, 07:45 PM   #5
squishifishi
Hopelesly Addicted Member

I'm not actually quite sure what that means! but ya know when you look at liveaquaria corals, in the quick stats it says SUPPLEMENTS:
yeah...those things I guess, or some sort of all-in-one to promote coral health and growth.
I just feed my corals mysis shrimp...do they want something more?
thanks!

"pictures at last"
in the nano forums:)

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
squishifishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

There are 3. If you keep softie coral, it will be easy to keep them in balance with water changes and weekly tests for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. If you are keeping stony, you need dkh buffer (alkalinity), with test, calcium, with test, and magnesium, with test; and there are shortcuts to supplement same via your regular topoff, because stony coral eats calcium at a very fast rate.

Most corals eat light. Softies and some stonies eat food that fish might eat. More stonies eat fine particulate. SPS stonies mostly eat light. Their 'skin' contains bacteria (zooxanthellae) that convert light to sugars.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
, or some sort of all-in-one to promote coral health and growth
there is no "all in one supplement". A water change would be the closest thing to an "all in one supplement".

Unread 04/30/2013, 08:18 AM   #8
klwheat
Registered Member

I guess the closest thing I've used to an all-in-one supplement is Kalk. Helps maintain alk and calcium. If I could only add one thing, it would be kalk in my ATO

President/Co-founder
Running4Trisomy
A Butterfly's Touch
klwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

Absolutely. I get great lps growth, but all I do is test periodically, supplement magnesium when it needs it, add fresh water every week or so and add more kalk every few months (32 g reservoir)---food is just crushed dried krill with some treats for fish.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2013, 05:17 AM   #10
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Listen to Gary and Sk8tr. Also remember, when reading about "supplements" on a site selling said "supplements", they are trying to sell you those "supplements"

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2013, 05:20 AM   #11
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

How often do you do water changes? If you do enough, theoretically, you would never need supplements.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2013, 12:43 PM   #12
mikecc67548
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
3rd post in thread. No need to read further (but I yam)

mikecc67548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 05:58 PM   #13
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Their 'skin' contains bacteria (zooxanthellae) that convert light to sugars.
Zooxanthellae is not bacteria but rather a dinoflagellate (phytoplankton).

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
There are major and minor constituents of seawater that get depleted by corals and need to be supplemented and then there are other things (for lack of a better word!)
Calcifying organisms (ie: growing corals) deplete calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. These are major elements of saltwater and you MUST maintain their proper levels if you are to be successful with living corals.

<----For my reef aquarium I concern myself with levels of calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, phophates, nitrates.

"Vitamins" and such are a waste of money and you can spend hundreds of dollars on useless "snake oils".
+1 these are the most important and everything else will be resupplied with regular water changes

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 09:06 PM   #15
SpartaReef
Registered Member.

How do you test for magnesium?

SpartaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 09:38 PM   #16
AYGurgies
Registered Member

With a test kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaReef View Post
How do you test for magnesium?

AYGurgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 08:35 AM   #17
SpartaReef
Registered Member.

Well duh, but which one? My LFS doesn't carry it

Unread 05/08/2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Kyle918
Registered Member

Ok, we should start at step 1. Do you test your water for the 3 big ones, calcium, alk, and magnesium?? IF you don't, how do you even know if you need to dose anything?? Which brings me to another important point...don't even dose what you aren't testing for...else, how do you know you aren't dosing too little (wasting your time) or dosing too much (wasting your money and possibly causing more harm).

Also, do you make your own salt water?? If you do, read the package. They list all the suppliments and trace elements that are present in the salt and at what concentrations at what salinity. Those should be all the suppliments your 2.5 gallon pico should ever need. I would start there before even asking what should I dose...you mostlikely do not.

Tank established 02/16/14
Kyle918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 11:08 AM   #19
Kyle918
Registered Member

Quote:
Check drsfostersmith.com and bulkreefsupply.com

Everyone has their own preference but if you just search the forum, you can find all the information you could ever want to know about test kits..and it will probably cause you headaches reading everyones' opinion on each...it really comes down to what is accurate first of all and what is easier for you to conduct as a test...also different test kits have different color scales..some are easier to read than others...that really sways most people...how easy the test is to conduct and how easy the results are to read...and most of all, if it is even accurate. Hanna checkers tend to be the preferred method to test mag though.

Tank established 02/16/14
Kyle918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 05:56 PM   #20
SpartaReef
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle918 View Post
Check drsfostersmith.com and bulkreefsupply.com

Everyone has their own preference but if you just search the forum, you can find all the information you could ever want to know about test kits..and it will probably cause you headaches reading everyones' opinion on each...it really comes down to what is accurate first of all and what is easier for you to conduct as a test...also different test kits have different color scales..some are easier to read than others...that really sways most people...how easy the test is to conduct and how easy the results are to read...and most of all, if it is even accurate. Hanna checkers tend to be the preferred method to test mag though.
Thank you for that very well thought out answer. I will look into it. So far I've been using a swing arm hydrometer and api test kits for everything... Corals are growing like crazy and inverts seem happy.... Been struggling to add anything right now though so waiting till next month to try again.

Unread 05/08/2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Salifert, seachem, and elos are three makers off the top of my head. Many of the .com fish supply sites out there will sell them, I'm sure most if not all can be found on eBay but not sure about the price comparison compared to the .com fish supply stores

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 10:29 AM   #22
SpartaReef
Registered Member.

Thanks.

Unread 05/14/2013, 02:01 PM   #23
heathlindner25
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Salifert, seachem, and elos are three makers off the top of my head. Many of the .com fish supply sites out there will sell them, I'm sure most if not all can be found on eBay but not sure about the price comparison compared to the .com fish supply stores
Red sea pro! is as close to lab grade your as you're going to get.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2013, 07:11 PM   #24
gabe145
Registered Member

I have a 55 gallon tank and am planning on making it a lps soft like your nano, in the past I had a 55 and never really dosed but did a 10-20% water change every 2 weeks and my levels were always good.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2013, 10:46 PM   #25
Swip
Registered Member

Quote:
I wasn't planning on dosing any supplements, but now, I am beginning to understand that this is an improtant part of reef keeping. My tiny reef is mostly softies, with lps corals too. So, hypothetically, if I could only dose ONE supplement...which should it be? what is most important to the general health of corals?
what would you reccomend I really use in my pico reef? thanks!
I would not dose anything in a pico with only 2.5 gallons of water in it. Water changes are more than enough.

Swip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, coral, lps, softy, supplements