Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2010, 08:38 AM   #2501
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a 144 gallon mixed reef with a 40 gallon sump and am currently running an ASM-G4 that came with the used setup. Would you recommend SRO-XP2000 or the XP3000 internal, and how much of an upgrade is that over my G4 (is my G4 undersized to start with)? And are these worth it over their non-XP SRO counterparts?

Current Tank Info: 144 gallon half cylinder, 40 gal sump, mixed reef, 2x250W MH
jjwill_sdsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 12:48 PM   #2502
gasbatalla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyReefNoob View Post
gas id say the atb as well as it is the best skimmer out of those listed as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo~ View Post
The ATB is the most quiet of the bunch. Very quiet skimmer
Thanks for the help guys.

gasbatalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 01:27 PM   #2503
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwill_sdsu View Post
Hi,
I have a 144 gallon mixed reef with a 40 gallon sump and am currently running an ASM-G4 that came with the used setup. Would you recommend SRO-XP2000 or the XP3000 internal, and how much of an upgrade is that over my G4 (is my G4 undersized to start with)? And are these worth it over their non-XP SRO counterparts?
your g4 would actually be fine on your system.

As far as the others. I would go with the xp 2000. the sro int 2000 has a smaller neck than the xp a little better for say a 90 g. I think the 3000 would be too much. A little too much for your setup. But if the asm works well then stick with that. I will have a good amount of water turnover. The sedra moves a lot of water just not as much air. but would do fine on your 144

Mojo~

Unread 11/07/2010, 02:09 PM   #2504
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Mojo,
What is a better skimmer for my 180+ system? I want to upgrade in the future of course to possibly a 300 gallon. I would like to have a skimmer I could use on that setup as well. So what is better? SWC 250A, SWC 250 1A, SRO 3000 Cone, SRO 5000 Cone?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 02:38 PM   #2505
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl411 View Post
Mojo,
What is a better skimmer for my 180+ system? I want to upgrade in the future of course to possibly a 300 gallon. I would like to have a skimmer I could use on that setup as well. So what is better? SWC 250A, SWC 250 1A, SRO 3000 Cone, SRO 5000 Cone?
The sro 250 a could probably be used on both. but the sro 3000 would be good on the 180 but too small for the 300. The SRO 5000 would be too big for the 180 and fine for the 300 g. the MSX 250A is a great skimmer for the money. if you have room it would be a great choice.

Mojo~

Unread 11/07/2010, 04:40 PM   #2506
steveojak
Registered Member

Which HOB SKimmer for 55g

its pretty heavily stocked, any suggestions for a skimmer for a 55g FOWLR?

steveojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 04:52 PM   #2507
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

MSX 250A would be your choice? Or SWC 250 1a? Thank you. =)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 05:14 PM   #2508
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveojak View Post
its pretty heavily stocked, any suggestions for a skimmer for a 55g FOWLR?
The aquamaxx hob 1/ warner marine H1

Unread 11/07/2010, 05:32 PM   #2509
WI reefer55
Registered Member

Hey mojo, Is it normal for a skimmer to skim very wet while breaking in after 48 hours?

I just got a 150 bmk. It has been running for 48 hours now and is skimming very wet in my tank 70gal and it does not seem to have much of a head if at all the bubbles just get a little big at the top.

Thanks

WI reefer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2010, 05:54 PM   #2510
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

lower the water level in the skimmer but yea its pretty normal

Unread 11/07/2010, 07:08 PM   #2511
gruvydude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvydude View Post
Hey all, I recently picked up a Remora w/MJ1200 for $65 to work on a ten gallon tank. I know its bigger than a ten gallon would need, but need some advice.

Im not really getting a whole lot of dark skimmate out of this thing. Its been running for a week now and I am getting a light tea color water with floaty junk/particles in it. It appears that Im getting more water than skimmate though. I would assume when a skimmer is working its going to be dark like choc milk or molasses and sludgy or thicker than choc milk. My collection cup is sticking up about an inch now, because the foam wasnt making it to the top. I had it up two inches earlier this week and the foam was drier and less water collected in the cup.

I guess I need some advice to know if this is normal for this type of skimmer or what to do.

Thanks

Chad
Eric and Mojo-
Thanks for the response you two. I will give those suggestions a try.

Chad

gruvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2010, 04:23 PM   #2512
lotusstar
Registered Member

Well you have the water impeller. that will just not work. If you used the stock volute cover from the water pump it wont work well either. The volute covers are milled out to allow more water and air to enter. you will need to make sure you are using the old volute cover and get a mesh wheel or just a pinwheel for it.

Hey Mojo,

Thanks very much for the help. I changed the volute to the old one that was originally on it, and noticed that it actually did have a mesh over it, I just couldn't see it. Anyway, pointless though because the skimmer still is sporadic in working, just stops working all together, plus it's getting noisier and being in the living room it's bothering the family.

Which in a way is all good news, I've gotten approval to buy a new skimmer and get rid of this frustration! yay! So now if I could get your opinion of a skimmer that would work well for my system. It's a 92g tank, currently have a 20g sump but building a new stand that will accommodate a 40g sump. The tank is currently lightly stocked but will be a medium stocked tank with heavy feedings. I was looking at possibly 2 or 3 different skimmers and was wondering if there is much of a difference.

1. SRO 2000INT
2. SRO 2000INT XP
3. ATB 840

The xp being a cone, would that be better or worse for my application? Seems to be a 50$ price difference which I'm not worried about. Or the ATB, is that $200+ justifiable in your opinion? Would you recommend either of these or something else entirely? I'm not too concerned with price (within reason), rather want reliability (something I haven't been able to have), good performance for daily feedings, and quiet application.

lotusstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2010, 07:20 PM   #2513
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Well the xp 2000 and atb are really similar in size. you will get better material from the ATB and the new sicce syncra pump with the aTB 840 v2. Its a great skimmer and well balanced.
the xp with the bubble blaster is good but does require even more shallow water as it pulls a little more air. But will also have a slight hum.

The int model uses same bb pump and is a good unit too.

The deal is. If you buy any of them I am sure you will be happy. if you plan on keeping one for a long time the ATB would be worth the extra $$ it will skim great but they have the best customer service. Its just my opinion.

But if you look back it took a long time for me to like the ATB cone. I just didnt see it. Until I owned one. THen I bought another !

If you can only buy one skimmer and you know u will have it a while. Get one that you KNOW you will be Happy with.

Those 3 will all work.

Mojo~

Unread 11/10/2010, 10:46 AM   #2514
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Mojo thanks for all your efforts.

I will be setting up a 20H with a 20H sump FOWLR tank and have been looking around for skimmers.

BM NAC3
Tunze 9002
SWC 120
MRC OF 100
one of the smaller reef oct. skimmers.
Maybe even the Aquamaxx HOB if I skip the sump.
I have an I tech 100 but don't think it will be a good match for the system.

I have been looking for info on the mrc but even their website does not provide details about this skimmer.

Any help?

Anyone own one?

I don't have a budget set but really not going to spend $300 on a skimmer for this system.

Thanks again.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 05:23 PM   #2515
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Mojo,

Running zeovit and currently using a Tunze 9410 skimmer. great skimmer but I have to supplement alot because the needle wheel precipitates out alot of what I add. Many zeoheads and even the KZ people recommend venturi skimmers as opposed to needle wheel for this reason. I don't want to fork over a grand for a fussy KZ skimmer and wonder what's the next best venturi skimmer option? Oh sorry, it will be for a 90 gal sps dominated, not my current setup!

Any suggestions?

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 06:27 PM   #2516
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafudaFish View Post
Mojo thanks for all your efforts.

I will be setting up a 20H with a 20H sump FOWLR tank and have been looking around for skimmers.

BM NAC3
Tunze 9002
SWC 120
MRC OF 100
one of the smaller reef oct. skimmers.
Maybe even the Aquamaxx HOB if I skip the sump.
I have an I tech 100 but don't think it will be a good match for the system.

I have been looking for info on the mrc but even their website does not provide details about this skimmer.

Any help?

Anyone own one?

I don't have a budget set but really not going to spend $300 on a skimmer for this system.

Thanks again.
I would go ocean force 100 nice little units

Unread 11/10/2010, 06:39 PM   #2517
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
Mojo,

Running zeovit and currently using a Tunze 9410 skimmer. great skimmer but I have to supplement alot because the needle wheel precipitates out alot of what I add. Many zeoheads and even the KZ people recommend venturi skimmers as opposed to needle wheel for this reason. I don't want to fork over a grand for a fussy KZ skimmer and wonder what's the next best venturi skimmer option? Oh sorry, it will be for a 90 gal sps dominated, not my current setup!

Any suggestions?

Tivo
Well not a lot of other efficient options. As most of them havent changed anyof the transitions or anything else to makethem more efficient. You could go with a beckett. Like a smaller Etss sump buddy 40 with a mag 7, a Bermuda Bps 5c. But Honestly I would just use a ATB 840 v2.

Unread 11/10/2010, 06:52 PM   #2518
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Thanks Mojo,

I have a BK160 and an ATB shelved so I may just stay with the 9410 when I transition to the 90. The 9410 has been the best performer for me but I'll try them all to see which is best. The beckets would work but too finecky and loud for me.

Thanks again

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 07:49 PM   #2519
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Hi Mojo,
I hope you can lend a helping hand. I believe I am having skimmer troubles, or better I think my skimmer is underpowered for my system.
I have a 1 year old 180g SPS dominated system with a 60g sump and I think I got carried away and stocked too many fish:
1 x Sohal Tang 9"
1 x Naso Tang 9"
3 x Yellow Tangs 3.5-4"
1 x Kole Tang 4"
1 x Sailfin Tang 4"
1 x Powder Blue Tang 4"
2 x Perculas 2-3"
1 x Diamond Goby 3"
1 x McKosker Wrasse 2"
1 x Scott's Wrasse 4"
1 x 6 line Wrassw 2"
1 x Mandarin Goby 2"
1 x Scooter Blenny 2"
1 x Copperband Butterfly 3.5"
5 x Green Cromis 1.5"

The tank has been doing very well for the past year, however on the past month I lost 2 acroporas from RTN and coral coloration is fading. I am starting to see some cyano, not much but I have not had any since so it is worrisome. I cannot measure any phosphate by photometer and ammonia, nitrite, notrates are all 0 by salifert kits. Chaetomorpha however is growing faster so I believe I have some po4 and nitrates that my system is handling in some way. Also the sand that used to be white and pristine, is now accumulating some gunk.

My skimmer is an Euroreef RS-250 (8" dia x 30" tall) that is constantly producing quite dark skimmate, about 1/2 cup daily and goes non stop, I have never seen it idleing.

I have a strong feeling that the current bioload has overwhelmed the skimmer. What do you think?

I bought a used euroreef rc-250 (recirculating) and I was thinking to run 2 skimmers, one internal and one external. The rc-250 however came in broken but I may be able to save the pump (I have to buy it for $75) and modify my skimmer into a recirculating one. Do you think this mod may be enough?

Other option would be to return the pump and go for a new skimmer altogether. I was looking at the Octopus SRO 6000 SSS that would fit in my sump nicely.

What would you suggest?

PS I would like to keep my current fish and exert some restraint and dont buy anymore.

Thanks

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 09:29 PM   #2520
Mighunter
Registered Member

Skimmer recommendations

Working on a 265g with a sump and fugue of about 100g more for a total of about 400 gallons. I plan on a having a modest amount of fish and eventually corals..soft at first and maybe sps as I get better. Any recommendations?

Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 10:48 AM   #2521
rroselavy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo~ View Post
I would go ocean force 100 nice little units
Mojo-

Have you used an Ocean Force skimmer or seen one in action? I have not seen a single user review on these skimmers except for (a prototype) at the atlanta reef club over two years ago. I assume that anything MRC makes is quality, but I am still interested in finding some sort of feedback in those.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250, Rossmont MX2600s, 24" 6x24w ATI Sunpower
rroselavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 10:58 AM   #2522
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Mojo:
Thanks for the reply. I finally found a sponsor selling them.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2010, 03:12 PM   #2523
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstecchino View Post
Hi Mojo,
I hope you can lend a helping hand. I believe I am having skimmer troubles, or better I think my skimmer is underpowered for my system.
I have a 1 year old 180g SPS dominated system with a 60g sump and I think I got carried away and stocked too many fish:
1 x Sohal Tang 9"
1 x Naso Tang 9"
3 x Yellow Tangs 3.5-4"
1 x Kole Tang 4"
1 x Sailfin Tang 4"
1 x Powder Blue Tang 4"
2 x Perculas 2-3"
1 x Diamond Goby 3"
1 x McKosker Wrasse 2"
1 x Scott's Wrasse 4"
1 x 6 line Wrassw 2"
1 x Mandarin Goby 2"
1 x Scooter Blenny 2"
1 x Copperband Butterfly 3.5"
5 x Green Cromis 1.5"

The tank has been doing very well for the past year, however on the past month I lost 2 acroporas from RTN and coral coloration is fading. I am starting to see some cyano, not much but I have not had any since so it is worrisome. I cannot measure any phosphate by photometer and ammonia, nitrite, notrates are all 0 by salifert kits. Chaetomorpha however is growing faster so I believe I have some po4 and nitrates that my system is handling in some way. Also the sand that used to be white and pristine, is now accumulating some gunk.

My skimmer is an Euroreef RS-250 (8" dia x 30" tall) that is constantly producing quite dark skimmate, about 1/2 cup daily and goes non stop, I have never seen it idleing.

I have a strong feeling that the current bioload has overwhelmed the skimmer. What do you think?

I bought a used euroreef rc-250 (recirculating) and I was thinking to run 2 skimmers, one internal and one external. The rc-250 however came in broken but I may be able to save the pump (I have to buy it for $75) and modify my skimmer into a recirculating one. Do you think this mod may be enough?

Other option would be to return the pump and go for a new skimmer altogether. I was looking at the Octopus SRO 6000 SSS that would fit in my sump nicely.

What would you suggest?

PS I would like to keep my current fish and exert some restraint and dont buy anymore.

I would say the 5000 sss would be big enough. the 5000 and the 6000 use the same pump. THe skimmer you have isnt bad but the SRO will pull more air. Another good option would be the MSX 250A or the hurricone cat 1. they use the askol pump rather than the bubble blaster. Both are good just giving u another option.
Thanks

Unread 11/11/2010, 03:14 PM   #2524
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
Working on a 265g with a sump and fugue of about 100g more for a total of about 400 gallons. I plan on a having a modest amount of fish and eventually corals..soft at first and maybe sps as I get better. Any recommendations?
MSX 250a
SRO 5000 int
hurricone cat 1

Unread 11/11/2010, 03:16 PM   #2525
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroselavy View Post
Mojo-

Have you used an Ocean Force skimmer or seen one in action? I have not seen a single user review on these skimmers except for (a prototype) at the atlanta reef club over two years ago. I assume that anything MRC makes is quality, but I am still interested in finding some sort of feedback in those.
I was actually going to order one after seeing one in action. Built well. Not a ton of air but pretty well balanced. Great for tight little places.

Mojo~

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex