Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2019, 10:37 AM   #1
dviper150
Registered Member

Which macro lens for Canon?

I have a Canon t6i. Wanted suggestions on a good macro lens that is compatible with Canon that also doesn't break the wallet. What do you guys recommend? I was mainly going to use it for my tank photography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/14/2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Sam2832
Registered Member

This is the one i have eyes on, https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name...F-Lenses/Macro
I read that the image stabilizer is really practical for macro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Reef Bass
colors and textures

I have the old version of the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro lens and like it very much. I spent a few hours with it yesterday shooting flowers and warty gourds.

My avatar was captured with that lens.

Personally, because my macro photography almost always involves using a tripod, in lens image stabilization is not necessary. I would likely feel differently if I hand held the majority of my macro shots, but I do not.

Using a tripod for tank macros of relatively stationary corals allows me to use much longer shutterspeeds that I can't do hand holding. That in turn allows me to use apertures smaller than wide open for greater depth of field in my shots without having to crank up the ISO to do so.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs

Last edited by Reef Bass; 09/15/2019 at 07:35 AM.
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2019, 11:15 AM   #4
NikonN8
Registered Member

Get the Gen 1 100mm f/2.8, it's a great lens and being an older generation will save you a few bucks. I loved mine. When I sold my T5i it was the only lens I kept of all the lenses I had, and had it not been stolen I'd be shooting Canon gear still today. It's a great portrait lens too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2832 View Post
This is the one i have eyes on, https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name...F-Lenses/Macro
I read that the image stabilizer is really practical for macro.
For handheld shooting, yea, but corals lend themselves really well to tripods. Shooting fish was easiest for me with a fast shutter speed (1/1000+) and fairly open aperture (5.6ish). The DOF from not being wide open was a bit more forgiving than shooting wide open. The fast shutter speed helps with capturing motion because they are NOT going to sit still for you while you line up a shot.