Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2019, 08:55 PM   #26
hhaase
Registered Member

New Toys! A trio of 4" sized media reactors. One looks like it could use a bit of cleaning. These are honestly probably bigger than what I need, but I'd rather have room to grow than insufficient volume.

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
hhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2019, 12:40 PM   #27
hhaase
Registered Member

Skimmer is on the way now too, just ordered a Bubble Magus Z-7. When the tank gets heavily loaded I'll probably have to upgrade, but that's likely well over a year away from hitting that point. And at the price-point of this skimmer, I'm ok with that. I'm not personally a fan of hugely over-skimming. I'd rather size the skimmer to what the bio-load of the tank is.

-Hans

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
Unread 12/18/2019, 09:30 PM   #28
hhaase
Registered Member

And the momentum continues to increase. Things will start getting quite exciting soon over here. More updates from today.....

1: picked up the 2nd water tank. It’s not doing anything but I have it now.

2: funding is in place, tank getting ordered either Friday or Monday.

3: I am close to finalizing the stand design with a local steel shop. So that should be in progress soon too.

Unread 12/21/2019, 03:33 PM   #29
hhaase
Registered Member

SCA 150 Gallon has been ordered. My excitement level just increased significantly.

-Hans

Unread 12/27/2019, 07:39 AM   #30
hhaase
Registered Member

Still no shipping info from SCA on the new tank, but I'm neither surprised nor concerned. I figure they're probably closed this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't ship for another week or so (assuming they even have it in stock).

I did pick up a 40 breeder to use as the main sump, still working on the layout in my head, so no fun photos to show yet.

But either way, things should start ramping up pretty quick here.

Unread 12/29/2019, 10:01 PM   #31
hhaase
Registered Member

Word from SCA today! They've processed my order, but tanks are on backorder, should be shipping to me on the 15th. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Unread 12/29/2019, 10:10 PM   #32
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ah, anticipation. Part of the hobby! Now you can focus on all the other stuff you need to do. Have fun!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2020, 07:13 PM   #33
hhaase
Registered Member

One week till estimated shipping on the new tank. Not much I can do at the moment though except wait.

In all the anticipation my freshwater tank is probably getting OVER-maintained at this point. But I have a fresh crop of shrimp fry and it's making me happy to see that tank succeeding so well.

Unread 01/22/2020, 09:55 AM   #34
hhaase
Registered Member

Tank is enroute, currently in Denver, on its way to South Dakota!

-Hans

Unread 02/03/2020, 12:45 PM   #35
hhaase
Registered Member

Well, poop, I forgot to take pictures!

Tank has arrived safely at my Wife's job, and they are going to be building the stand for me, as they are a welding shop that makes dog cages, tables for veterinarian offices, and stainless tubs for groomers. So we've been going back and forth on ideas for the stand layout.

Going to be doing 1" x 2" steel tube, 14 gauge wall thickness. Two rear supports and one front support, with a bottom shelf for the sump. Two cross-braces in the top and bottom frames. 3/4" ply shelves top and bottom, with a lip around the top to hide the plywood. Skinned on 3 sides. The left and right side panels will be removable, front will be a pair of swinging doors.

Once they get the basic structure done I'll head back over there so we can talk about mounting locations inside the stand for refugium lights, electrical stuff, and plumbing.

It's so close I can taste it!

Unread 02/03/2020, 01:02 PM   #36
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds good, keep us apprised!

One thought I had was water proofing your steel frame. Water will be spilled. Protect your investment. You've probably already thought of that.

Your excitement is contagious!

Unread 02/03/2020, 01:53 PM   #37
hhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sounds good, keep us apprised!

One thought I had was water proofing your steel frame. Water will be spilled. Protect your investment. You've probably already thought of that.

Your excitement is contagious!
Yep, have that covered as well. They use speedliner in a few different colors.

-Hans

Unread 02/07/2020, 03:13 PM   #38
hhaase
Registered Member

I'm told the stand will be ready for me to look at on Monday, at least the frame itself, prior to adding in any mounting bracket/straps/bars for accessories. I should probably start planning that out.

I also need to pick out the return pumps soon. Since the tank is drilled on the back for two returns, I'm planning two pumps for redundancy and finer control. Modular Marine recommended their 1,600gph overflow to match the holes in the tank, but I'm actually looking to do under 1,000gph through the sump. I'll need to measure head height, but probably looking at pumps rated around 500gph/2000lph in size. Preferrably DC controlled. Looking at the Jebao/Jecod DCS-2000, at least initially, to get myself started.

Unread 02/19/2020, 07:27 AM   #39
hhaase
Registered Member

I got a couple quick snaps on the phone of the in-progress stand, still a good amount of work left to go on it, but looking good so far. Hopefully soon.

I really want to get working on this thing!

Unread 02/21/2020, 09:02 AM   #40
hhaase
Registered Member

Score! Work just tore down a piece of equipment and I got a lot of 80/20 extrusion that I can use for a hood/lighting frame! Either that or a better stand for my water change station.

Hell, if my welded stand wasn't already done I'd have been able to build a stand from this stuff. All good 2" x 1" extrusions.

Unread 02/21/2020, 11:04 AM   #41
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice. I love scoring free stuff! I look forward to seeing what you end up using it for.

Unread 03/15/2020, 11:50 AM   #42
hhaase
Registered Member

Still not sure what I'll be using all that extrusion for, too many other things going on at the moment.

However, I've received an update from the shop making the stand. Mainly needs some grinding to smooth out the welds, and they haven't added the extra mounting bracketry yet, but the frame itself is almost ready for the paint shop. It'll be getting skinned on 3 sides with stainless steel.

Waiting on this before doing much else. Really just been grabbing 30lb bags of oolitic aragonite at PetSmart as they restock. They seem to only ever have one bag at a time. I'm up to 90lbs, so only one more to go.

Unread 04/14/2020, 03:32 PM   #43
hhaase
Registered Member

Well, the people building my stand haven't done a stinking thing on it since the first week in February. I told them to forget I even asked, and just scrap the damn thing at this point. I started talking to them about it the first week of December. They obviously don't want my business so they're not going to get it.

Looks like all that extrusion is going to come in handy after all.

-Hans

Unread 04/15/2020, 09:38 AM   #44
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to hear that, Hans. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Unread 04/16/2020, 08:02 AM   #45
hhaase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sorry to hear that, Hans. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Oh, the project will continue, I'm determined, and this story gets more amusing.

I told company #1 to stop work, I no longer want the stand, and that I will be picking up my tank from their facility on Saturday. Owner was very embarrassed but everything was very clear that I didn't want the stand and they can proceed to scrap it.

I contacted company #2 about cutting and prepping that extrusion I have to make a new stand, and I told company #1 about this.

Company #2 is like a happy puppy. It was a very 'Sure, bring it in, we can do that, sounds fun, no problem at all, easy stuff,' kind of conversation. So I told them I'll sort all the material and get back to them Monday.

Company #1 just sent me a few new photos, and the original stand is going into the paint booth this morning, they just wanted to make sure a couple things were in the right place, it'll be ready for when I pick up the tank on Saturday.

::: sigh :::

Unread 04/22/2020, 09:05 AM   #46
hhaase
Registered Member

A bit delayed from the update last week, but all the smoothing and grinding is done on the stand now, and the extra mounting brackets I wanted are all installed too. Ready for the paint booth. It'll be getting done with speedliner, as opposed to powdercoat, for the extra corrosion resistance.

Still a bit of a waiting game but I feel a lot better knowing that it's being done finally.

Unread 05/14/2020, 06:34 AM   #47
hhaase
Registered Member

Ok, it appears I'm picking up the stand on Sunday, and I can get back to making some progress here.

-Hans

Unread 05/14/2020, 07:34 AM   #48
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's good news. I look forward to seeing your project!

Unread 05/15/2020, 08:19 AM   #49
hhaase
Registered Member

I'll upload pictures later tonight, but the stand is completed and ready for pickup. I'll be grabbing a trailer on Sunday to bring it and the tank home finally. Despite the very long wait and frustration, I'm quite pleased with the result. I think you guys are going to like it.

-Hans

Unread 05/17/2020, 04:13 PM   #50
hhaase
Registered Member

Maybe this will get me motivated again. The tank and stand have come home today! I'm upset at how long the stand took, and all the drama that came along with it, but I am extremely happy with the end result.

Just a recap, this is an SCA 150 gallon, pre-drilled for a Synergy Shadow overflow. Though I'll be having Modular Marine make the overflow instead as there are a few things I don't like about the Synergy. The tank is oh so pretty, and I'm glad I went with this one over something like an Aqueon or Marineland with a frame. You really don't appreciate the size of these tanks until you and three friends are trying to get it down a set of stairs. It all went without incident, and a great thanks to Chris, Dave, and Jimmy.... none of whom are on Reef Central.

The stand is all 1x2 steel with Speedliner bedliner material on the frame. Doors and sides are brushed stainless. Sides can be removed if needed should I decide on a larger sump in the future. I also had them add a crossbar along the back, with two more across the top, to allow for some kind of plumbing and electrical mounting.

The measurements are spot-on for the stand, weld quality is very good, and the paint work excellent as well. I'm extremely pleased with the stand.

I'm not going to put the tank onto the stand just yet since I need room to work on the initial plumbing. Tomorrow I'm going to get some 3/4" plywood cut for a top and also a bottom shelf. The top plywood piece will get slotted for T-Molding, as I want a clean look. I also need to sort out door latches, at my request they didn't put any on yet.

Man, this is going to be a busy week though. Too many parts arriving for a few of my home-business projects, plus another 3D printer, and I'll be re-arranging this whole room due to the growth of my business. Fun problems but still a lot of stuff to do in here.