Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2020, 05:24 AM   #1
Timorisu
Registered Member

Question Poisonous coral

Hi guys, been new here!
I had nano reef tank before, i have couple of zoa colony, and then i've read palytoxin poisoning article, and because of it i just release them (zoa's) back to the ocean.
And now i have new tank, i just wondering, is there any dangerous corals or invert (that is harmfull for human whether it's poisonous, venomous, toxic, or it can make you ill or even kill you) that i must avoid to have, because i don't want to risk my health or my life, because i've heard some people or articles say soft coral is toxic, rhodatics is toxic, palytoxin areosoled, may be this is sounds ridiculous for you, but yes i don't want to risk it lol

Timorisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 05:46 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Do you plan on eating the coral? How about drinking the water? How about licking your hands after touching them or handling them with open wounds?
If not then there is nothing to worry about.
While all corals have some sort of defense mechanism (some stinging cells, some toxins) Palythoa corals are really the only ones to be concerned about as a human.
There are also fish and other creatures (octopus,etc...) in the ocean that are venomous too btw.. Urchins can sting,etc...

Always best to spend a few minutes learning about the animal you intend to add to your tank and not just blindly buy them so you can see what they need/can do,etc...

Unread 02/27/2020, 06:13 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Do you plan on eating the coral? How about drinking the water? How about licking your hands after touching them or handling them with open wounds?
If not then there is nothing to worry about.
While all corals have some sort of defense mechanism (some stinging cells, some toxins) Palythoa corals are really the only ones to be concerned about as a human.
There are also fish and other creatures (octopus,etc...) in the ocean that are venomous too btw.. Urchins can sting,etc...

Always best to spend a few minutes learning about the animal you intend to add to your tank and not just blindly buy them so you can see what they need/can do,etc...
+1 unless you're boiling rock with them on it or do something else drastic like mentioned above you will be fine.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 06:43 AM   #4
Timorisu
Registered Member

I don't have any interest for eating one tough, but sometimes i have cut in my hand and i forget about it, do i research on any creature i want in my tank? For my cirrent tank Yes i do, but i can't find any information except paly, zoa, or rhodatics, just in case if there's coral that harmful for human but i don't know or it's hard to seek the information, and i don't know if coral toxin can be aerosoled even not boiling it(stress response or something), i want to know every coral that harmless for human, because all of that i made the question.
Btw thank you so much for your response

Timorisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 11:12 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Use gloves when handling and other typical common sense practices like that and there won't be any issues..
The number of cases of human issues is VERY..VERY tiny..
There is likely a better chance of the tank falling on you than there is you having any toxicity issues.. Oh and watch out for lightning and runaway school buses..

Unread 02/27/2020, 01:03 PM   #6
clevername
Registered Member

I agree with the gloves. I have gotten sick before from it doing extensive cleaning.
Even now, when i move a couple corals around or deep clean the sand bed i wear gloves, other wise just normal maintenance like that i feel very lightheaded.

I dont wear them all the time and when the Girlfriends walks by she yells at me "you know your going to get sick", which i explain im only doing ONE thing in the tank... 20min later i do feel "off" and sick.

IV only gotten really sick once and now that i know what it is i dont handle long periods of time without gloves.

EDit: i also want to point out its a per-person thing. I never get flueshots, never get sick, order my steak as raw as they can "cook" it... the fishtank is the only that that really affects me physically when interacting with it.

Unread 02/27/2020, 01:45 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
the animal you intend to add to your tank and not just blindly buy them so you can see what they need/can do,etc...
Just an aside, yup corals are animals

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 01:50 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timorisu View Post
coral toxin can be aerosoled even not boiling it(stress response or something)
Paylatoxins can be aerosoled.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 02/27/2020, 02:03 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timorisu View Post
coral toxin can be aerosoled even not boiling it(stress response or something)
Paylatoxins can be aerosoled.

Tags
begginer reefer, coral advice, dangerous coral, palytoxin, toxins