Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2015, 08:54 AM   #451
hongl227
Registered Member

New LFS in North Hollywood...Deep Blue Aquarium

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...206519270.html

hongl227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2015, 05:30 PM   #452
Quiverfull
Registered Member

Bit the bullet and went to vivid. The drive was a pain especially coming back on the 210 but was worth it. David was great and I bought 5 frags. Prices were fair in my mind for the quality. Thanks for the suggestion.

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2015, 08:07 AM   #453
humuhumupukapuka
Registered Member

How is Coral supply store On to panga blvd in chatworth? Seems a little sketch, lots of hits on Craigslist and a name like coral supply?

humuhumupukapuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2015, 10:24 PM   #454
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Their site is http://www.laaquariumservice.com/

Unread 09/18/2015, 09:53 AM   #455
VWHACK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychullo View Post
I checked out Coral Collection today and bought six pieces

they are really cool guys and awesome on pricing! They used to be in Huntington Beach but moved to Lake Forest within the last year.

Coral Collection
24326 Muirlands Blvd.
Lake Forest, CA 92630
714-925-7333
Boycott, avoid.
The shop that is so poorly ran who knowingly sell sick fish.
Partially my fault for not quarantining first. But they are also too inexperienced to properly illuminate the aquariums to view livestock properly.
I broke my own rule of buying fish from a dealer that houses fish and inverts in the same system.
Epic fail.

Current Tank Info: 728 Gallon Mixed Reef
VWHACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 11:52 AM   #456
booyaa138
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWHACK View Post
Boycott, avoid.
The shop that is so poorly ran who knowingly sell sick fish.
Partially my fault for not quarantining first. But they are also too inexperienced to properly illuminate the aquariums to view livestock properly.
I broke my own rule of buying fish from a dealer that houses fish and inverts in the same system.
Epic fail.
What and when did you buy from them?

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 11:58 AM   #457
VWHACK
Registered Member

4x blue tangs, a cleaner wrasse and an *** wad of oodinium.
Hanging a flashlight 20' over an aquarium is a terrible way to display livestock.

Current Tank Info: 728 Gallon Mixed Reef
VWHACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 02:25 PM   #458
booyaa138
Registered Member

Sorry to hear. I was in there the other day and some of there fish didn't look so good.

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2015, 01:28 PM   #459
Wolfex
Registered Member

Cool New place in Los Angeles

I discovered this little shop through Yelp. It's a new small place specializing in frags. The price is really good. I got some exceptional colored corals. Austin is really helpful and knowledgable. They do tank set up and maintenance mostly but open the shop on weekends only to sell frags. It's in a commercial campus in Reseda and a little hard to find but drive around until you find the building.

http://www.caliaquariums.com

Wolfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 12:24 AM   #460
iammrhappy
Registered Member

Strictly Fish in North Long Beach sucks. They arent nice folks.

Dont go there

iammrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 09:26 PM   #461
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy View Post
Strictly Fish in North Long Beach sucks. They arent nice folks.

Dont go there
Wow...are you sure that you're 'mr happy'?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2015, 01:47 AM   #462
iammrhappy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Wow...are you sure that you're 'mr happy'?

Lol! I tried to be "Mr. Happy" before I stepped into the store.

But when I got in, I wasn't happy due to bad customer service. Etc

I actually went into to inquire/ready to buy their display tank. I think it was a 8 foot by 48in tank. I wanted to buy that and everything inside of it all corals and fish rock, everything. I bet it all of it was at least 10 grand

I'm trying to buy something for an office we run. But they didn't really care to carry a conversation with me. So I left in 2 minutes lol.

Won't be coming back. Wish they were nice. Could have had my business and my family's business as well. I'm sure they have lots of customers already. Losing one isn't a big deal I guess.

Pizza >
iammrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2016, 09:37 PM   #463
asuncionmj
Registered Member

I didn't go through the whole thread, but I'll mention P & P Tropical Fish. I've been going here for the past three years. His fish have never given me issues (I've gotten Begai Cardinal, Starry Blenny, all my CUC, Mandarin Goby, 6-Line Wrasse, Royal Blue Tang, Bi-Color Angel and two RBTA). He doesn't sell any SPS, but has good LPS and softies.

I've never had any issues with his corals opening for me on day one.

The owner Paul, his wife Paula and his son Phillip have always given me great advice on my tank from day one and don't push you to buy unwanted items and even have told me not to get certain things because I wouldn't need it for my livestock. They have been around for 20+ years and have several long time customers.

Located in Cypress, on the corner of Ball and Moody.

asuncionmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 10:34 AM   #464
OC CJ
Crushed coral > sand

Your experience with P&P is vastly different than mine. I used to live over by that store. Stopped in a few times but one time I'll never forget.

A friend had bought me a few fish for my birthday. Unfortunately, I had to return all of them. The owner was nice but offered me bottom dollar for the fish he just sold to my friend. Then, when I tried to negotiate to trade the fish for a dry goods product that was a few bucks more than he was offering me, he launched into this rant about why do I think he should negotiate and how people don't go to the grocery store and negotiate prices.

Needless to say, I walked out never to return.

Current Tank Info: 66g, 20g sump, RO Elite 150INT, ATI 6x24w with 2xReefbrite XHO, CalRx with custom reg, 2 x gyre 130 controlled by Full Apex, DIY chaeto reactor
OC CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 12:14 PM   #465
Reeferside
Registered Member

Anyone who thinks a store is bad because they got ich is not a correct representation of a LFS... Though Health of livestock can be attributed to the store since they choose which wholesaler they go to.. As well as they are selling these to the public.

I'm pretty sure I can buy fish from any store and get ich if I don't follow QT procedures. We should consider ourselves lucky if you're like me and rarely follows the QT procedures for new additions.

Coral health on the other hand is a big factor to me. I barely go to stores around where I live because of selection mostly. I would much rather drive an hour out to OC to visit the stores with a wider selection of fish and corals... These stores even have a larger dry goods selection.. I couldn't even find an apex breakout box within 40 minutes from me.. Sad

Anyways as for great stores..

Reed lounge has a good selection every time I'm there. Their corals are sometimes a bit more pricey but its a nice spot.

Seaside tropical has an amazing fish collection. Sometimes I don't need to buy fish but if I'm close I'll stop by and check everything out.

Iconic reef supply is a cool little shop. Not much advertisement and sponsor forums for them but they are fair and negotiable. I got an amazing wall hammer from them for $30-40 cheaper than elsewhere.

Reeferside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 06:09 PM   #466
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Went there today, it was ok and friendly people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongl227 View Post
New LFS in North Hollywood...Deep Blue Aquarium

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...206519270.html

Joe Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2016, 12:11 PM   #467
Reef_Chris
Registered Member

The Aquarium Connection in Simi Valley:

http://www.theaquariumconnection.com/

Peter is a great guy and prices are fair on most stuff. Within the last few months they got a nice frag tank going and are adding more every week.

Reef_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 10:48 AM   #468
sil40sx
Registered Member

Any LFS around LA area that have common plumbing/fittings available in store?

Thanks!

sil40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 04:44 PM   #469
Magnerific
Registered Member

Pluming supplies at LAX aquarium !! good prices very helpful staff. i usually go to VIvid or rainbow for fish in the SFV

The new Deep blue aquarium is running specials sunday from 12-3pm 20% off fish.

Magnerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 05:08 PM   #470
sil40sx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnerific View Post
Pluming supplies at LAX aquarium !! good prices very helpful staff. i usually go to VIvid or rainbow for fish in the SFV

The new Deep blue aquarium is running specials sunday from 12-3pm 20% off fish.

Sweet, thanks!

sil40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2016, 05:34 PM   #471
TBell805
Registered Member

CK Fish World in West Covina has been my main shop for both fresh and saltwater needs. They have a great selection of corals (mostly LPS, zoas, and softies), healthy livestock, and the staff is nice! I would also recommend Aquatic Designs in Santa Barbara they are by the original Habit in old town Goleta. Atlantis Aquariums in SB has nice displays but is overpriced and the workers can be quite rude.

TBell805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 04:17 PM   #472
Rakie
In Memoriam

Any suggestions for quality fish in Orange County area? Looking for a good shop to pickup some fish tonight, my lady really wants to check out some fishes

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 02:50 PM   #473
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Had a nice visit today with Hong at Deep Blue Aquarium in North Hollywood. The store looks very nice and clean, I really liked the well maintained mixed reef display aquarium. Signs of a passionate aquarist everywhere, grow out tanks packed with growing frags and good prices. Good prices on fish as well, some very cute small copper band butterfly too.
He took time to show me all his systems and animals. Glad I went, and will go back.

https://www.facebook.com/www.deepbluereef.net/

Joe

Unread 05/14/2016, 02:52 PM   #474
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

My favorite shop,
http://www.amazingaquariumsandreefs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Any suggestions for quality fish in Orange County area? Looking for a good shop to pickup some fish tonight, my lady really wants to check out some fishes

Unread 05/14/2016, 10:46 PM   #475
jsanchez77
Registered Member

ellis aquatics has best price for water, and supplies. they could order almost anything at a lower price than retail

jsanchez77 is offline   Reply With Quote