Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2013, 04:15 PM   #1
squishifishi
Hopelesly Addicted Member

HELP!!!! please ASAP birdsnest dying quickly

My new birdsnest seems to have a disease spreading very quickly. I put it in about a week ago, was very healthy nice color and extension. Yesterday, one tip of a branch had a puffy pink skin over it. In the overnight it spread across three more branches, and now it is covering almost half the coral and it has only been about 1.5 days since it started. The 'skin' is light pink and seems thin but poofy like it is inflated with the water. If it is blasted with water, it breaks/peels like slime i guess. I can see the skeleton underneath it, and in newly covered areas I can see the retracted polyps underneath. I don't know what to do but I need to act quickly. Should I break off the infected areas to stop the spread or will that only make it worse.no other areas are like this, it has all spread form this one point. All other corals and inverts and sps are very healthy, no recent death, params good, med/high light, medium/high flowAny input is greatly apreciated, thanks!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.5 KB, 190 views)
"pictures at last"
in the nano forums:)

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
squishifishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2013, 04:21 PM   #2
smtank
Registered Member

Bacterial infection vs protozoan (Brown Jelly Disease)

Break off the dying areas and dip it, CoralRX or similar product.

Try to put in an area of a little higher flow.

Unfortunately there is a good chance you will loose the piece. Those types of infections tend to kill quickly and sometimes spread to near by corals.

smtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2013, 05:22 PM   #3
squishifishi

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I broke off all te infected parts. Unfortunately, I had to remove over half of the coral, ad I may have damaged it because it spread to parts of the base, and all of the branches were connected to each other in a wierd sort of network. It was super hard to take out the bad spots. Threw away all the dead parts and saved everything with some polyps left on it.
The whole reason I bought hat price was because of its beautiful interesting form! Grr...so much for that I wish I had followed my gut feeling and cut of the branch when i first saw it.

"pictures at last"

Current Tank Info: 2.5g pico reef: 5-15hob filter, 10w led light,Stock;neon goby,Pom Pom crab,hermits, astrea, margarita, nassarius, micro brittles, shrooms,palys, xenia, galaxea, zoas,ricordea, litho,chalice,leather,pocci,.WISH LIST:sexy shrimp
Unread 08/30/2013, 12:43 PM   #4
squishifishi

The coral is now completely dead. Just a bright white skeleton...I tried

"pictures at last"

Unread 08/30/2013, 01:58 PM   #5
footballdude2k3
Registered Member.

Sorry to hear about that buddy, birdsnests generally grow pretty quick, I would check to see if somebody local can cut you a good deal on one.

footballdude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2013, 04:30 PM   #6
squishifishi

I don't have any reefers close to me. Closest people and lfs are over half an hour away.
Thanks though. You know, I really need to find an lfs with some sort of guarantee on corals. It really bugs me when I pay for something diseased or dying.

"pictures at last"

Unread 08/30/2013, 05:01 PM   #7
footballdude2k3
Registered Member.

dont think you are going to find an LFS with that, i think live aquaria is the only thing that will give you much in a guarantee

footballdude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2013, 08:45 PM   #8
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishifishi View Post
I don't have any reefers close to me. Closest people and lfs are over half an hour away.
Thanks though. You know, I really need to find an lfs with some sort of guarantee on corals. It really bugs me when I pay for something diseased or dying.
Where are you located? I doubt it was diseased or dying when you bought it. It was probably the stress of transport or the change in environment that caused it to perish. Once that Brown Jelly stuff starts, it spreads pretty quickly. At least now you know what to do should you encounter again.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2013, 10:23 PM   #9
squishifishi

well, that little tip where it started looked funny when i got it, but maybeit was just me.I dunno. too bad about the lie guarantees though.I Admit, that it wouldbe very risky for the fish stores...there arelots ofunresponsible people that would waste the stores money I suppose. one time i heard a mom askig why she couldnt buy a nemo for her sons guppy bowl (???) lol.

"pictures at last"

Unread 09/07/2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Texass2323
Registered Member

That sucks!!

Current Tank Info: 100 gallon Reef Tank
Texass2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 05:25 PM   #11
ThreeMoneyJ
Registered Member

Birdsnests are very easy to frag. In the future go with your gut an frag at the first sign of an issue!

They are also very fast growers, with a bit of searching I would think you could find somebody local who will give/trade you some frags. I have green, pink, gatorade, and ponape that I frag fairly often.

Tags
birdsnest, disease, sps