Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Live rock

Anyone have experience with LifeRock from Caribsea? Also, in your opinion what is the best live rock? I just bought from my LFS for my first tank but that was only 30 lbs. I'm going to need alot more this time around. I considered picking out a few nice pieces from the LFS and ordering the rest online.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:56 PM   #2
avery155
Registered Member

You could always add dry rock to the existing, I have only ever bought live rock from my lfs before. My last build I just used all dry rock.

avery155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:45 PM   #3
nycman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
Anyone have experience with LifeRock from Caribsea? Also, in your opinion what is the best live rock? I just bought from my LFS for my first tank but that was only 30 lbs. I'm going to need alot more this time around. I considered picking out a few nice pieces from the LFS and ordering the rest online.
TBS but be prepared to deal with the bad hitchhikers. I did 300lbs in June and had no tank cycle on a brand new tank.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:47 PM   #4
anthonys51
Registered Member.

If you have 30 lbs of aged live rock. I would either use dry rock or if you have the budget just buy base live rock from your lfs. You really don’t need to buy top shelf live rock You already have great rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:24 AM   #5
tonyreef
Registered Member

Check out
http://www.livestockusa.org/

tonyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Pet Detective
Registered Member

I recently purchased 100lbs of dry reef rock from ebay seller junkyrddog92, for $180....shipping included, I was able to request multiple sizes of pieces, I am extremely happy with this purchase, it is 100% limestone rock from Florida, I would never buy live rock again considering the great deals that are available and without unwanted pests. The rock comes very white but now looks like any other live rock I've ever purchased before for THREE TIMES the price. I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with this seller, I am just happy with my transaction and am trying to share with others. There are other dry rock sellers but this is the one I dealt with and had zero issues.

Pet Detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:04 PM   #7
d2mini
Registered Member

tbsaltwater.com
Check out their sponsor forum here on RC.
The amount of life on the rock is insane.
Go for "The Package" which gets you the rock, sand, critters and other goodies.
No cycle. You're tank will be ready for fish and coral in just a few days.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:37 PM   #8
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I bet the life on those rocks are amazing.
I am not really too concerned about pest

Honestly I am the biggest pest fir my tank

I think we all killed more corals than any pest ever
Especially acros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:46 PM   #9
Subsea
Registered Member

When hobbiest say, they got dry rock and made it live rock. Sorry, it ain’t the same live rock with spaghetti worms, Red Tree Sponges, Yellow Ball Sponges, tunicates and red, yellow & orange bryozones..

http://www.gulfliverock.com/premium-...tive-rock.html

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreef View Post

While I like the biodiversity of Gulf of Mexico live rock, the density of the Florida limestones makes it twice as expensive.

The pricing of the above rock is very favorable.

Unread 02/09/2018, 02:18 PM   #11
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
While I like the biodiversity of Gulf of Mexico live rock, the density of the Florida limestones makes it twice as expensive.

The pricing of the above rock is very favorable.
You could get the pukani from TBS.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/09/2018, 02:28 PM   #12
smatter
Registered Member

TBS Pukani rules!!!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:03 PM   #13
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You could get the pukani from TBS.
How long has their Pukani rock been in the water?

Even with the density of the bryozoan limestone, I would still purchase GOM live rock before Pacific for the diversity. The GOM is nutrient rich and the biodiversity on the east coast of Florida is phenomenal. I run my systems nutrient rich and heavy on the sponges and other filter feeders.

I spoke with Richard in early 2005. I was buying my first Package from him. I was on a drilling rig sending him emails and he was on a fishing yacht in the biggest fishing rodeo in the GOM off the coast from Biloxi. He mentioned being in the rodeo watching a boatload of models and I mentioned being on a drilling rig with a bunch of boats circling our drilling rig, including a boat load of models.

Unread 02/09/2018, 04:38 PM   #14
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
How long has their Pukani rock been in the water?

Even with the density of the bryozoan limestone, I would still purchase GOM live rock before Pacific for the diversity. The GOM is nutrient rich and the biodiversity on the east coast of Florida is phenomenal. I run my systems nutrient rich and heavy on the sponges and other filter feeders.

I spoke with Richard in early 2005. I was buying my first Package from him. I was on a drilling rig sending him emails and he was on a fishing yacht in the biggest fishing rodeo in the GOM off the coast from Biloxi. He mentioned being in the rodeo watching a boatload of models and I mentioned being on a drilling rig with a bunch of boats circling our drilling rig, including a boat load of models.
I don't know, maybe Richard will chime in.
But I've seen what it looks like just after 3-6 months. Looks like it has been down there for years. Insane how fast it colonizes in those waters.
He's been seeding pukani for quite awhile now, along with the walt smith 2.1 rock.

Unread 02/09/2018, 06:03 PM   #15
HBtank
Premium Member

Nm!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:13 PM   #16
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I don't know, maybe Richard will chime in.
But I've seen what it looks like just after 3-6 months. Looks like it has been down there for years. Insane how fast it colonizes in those waters.
He's been seeding pukani for quite awhile now, along with the walt smith 2.1 rock.

I did not realize that Richard had tied in with Walt Smith, another environmental steward of sustainable live rock. I will have to check it out. Growing up as a kid, we used to go out to offshore production platforms in the GOM to fish. They were the perfect structure for a reef to attach to with good cross flow. Because I would get seasick, I would transfer to fish from production platform. I spent more time gazing into the water. Maybe that’s why I am an addicted reefer.

Unread 02/09/2018, 06:16 PM   #17
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
I did not realize that Richard had tied in with Walt Smith, another environmental steward of sustainable live rock. I will have to check it out. Growing up as a kid, we used to go out to offshore production platforms in the GOM to fish. They were the perfect structure for a reef to attach to with good cross flow. Because I would get seasick, I would transfer to fish from production platform. I spent more time gazing into the water. Maybe that’s why I am an addicted reefer.
Yeah, a few years ago.
I've got both the walt smith and the pukani in my tank.

Unread 02/09/2018, 06:18 PM   #18
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
When hobbiest say, they got dry rock and made it live rock. Sorry, it ain’t the same live rock with spaghetti worms, Red Tree Sponges, Yellow Ball Sponges, tunicates and red, yellow & orange bryozones..

http://www.gulfliverock.com/premium-...tive-rock.html
To be fair you need to add "nuisance crabs/algae/coral/anemone/nudibranch".

While I am all for diversity personally, diversity is the exact opposite of what some are going for. Others may welcome the challenge and a tank that will have more diverse life, and more pests.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote