Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:33 AM   #1
lafirewolf
Registered Member

Upgrading my mixed reef lighting help

I’m looking at upgrading my lights from two (2) Current USA Orbit Marine light fixtures. Bought them when I thought I would only have a FOWLR. My tank is a 90 gallon half cylinder measuring 45” long by 20” deep and about 25” tall. I am very limited on mounting heights as the canopy only has about 7” or clearance and I cannot hang them from the ceiling. I am thinking about purchasing the Maxspect Razor X R5 200w or 300w. Thought about the AI Hydra 52HD’s but don’t think I have enough mounting height for them and am afraid of burning my corals. Currently have a mixed reef of mostly LPS and Softies with a couple of SPS. Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I think a Reefbreeder's fixture would fit right into your mount.

Unread 02/08/2018, 11:41 AM   #3
mikee b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafirewolf View Post
I’m looking at upgrading my lights from two (2) Current USA Orbit Marine light fixtures. Bought them when I thought I would only have a FOWLR. My tank is a 90 gallon half cylinder measuring 45” long by 20” deep and about 25” tall. I am very limited on mounting heights as the canopy only has about 7” or clearance and I cannot hang them from the ceiling. I am thinking about purchasing the Maxspect Razor X R5 200w or 300w. Thought about the AI Hydra 52HD’s but don’t think I have enough mounting height for them and am afraid of burning my corals. Currently have a mixed reef of mostly LPS and Softies with a couple of SPS. Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 radion xr15 which has made a huge difference in coral growth my sps have gone crazy after fitting these lights expensive but I think you get what you pay for. Also they are fully adjustable so you won't cook your corals.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mikee b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:43 AM   #4
mikee b
Registered Member

Look cool too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mikee b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:46 AM   #5
lafirewolf
Registered Member

My only issue with the radions is the mounting height. I only have about 7” or clearance in my canopy. Worried about getting the spotlight effect since the would be mounted so close to the water level.

Unread 02/08/2018, 12:40 PM   #6
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Got my reefbreeders 50-V2 about a year and a half ago and cut my canopy so that it was flush with the top. Looks very good, and the bottom of the fixture sits just over 7 inches from the water. There is a little “spotlighting” you mentioned, but careful rock placement and playing with the settings makes it barely noticeable and I’m getting great color and growth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C59DD72B-5045-4CD6-B13B-B294681B811F.jpg (47.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 0FB7E219-9CD8-4073-B891-AE0787A2F9E0.jpg (51.4 KB, 18 views)
reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 03:08 PM   #7
lafirewolf
Registered Member

I will definitely do some research on the Reef Breeders. Anyone have any knowledge on the Maxspect Razor X R5’s?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/razor...-maxspect.html

Unread 02/08/2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Hydrus
Registered Member

I have the ReefBreeder Photons V2 and they are very adjustable when it comes to height as well as having a little wiggle room left and right on the legs. (I eventually want to hang them from the ceiling but I need to get someone to help me first lol) For the moment I just took the flip lid off my canopy and they sit perfect on top of it. They are a bit high at 9 inches above the water but seem to work great. Point being they seem to be very adaptable to customization

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 10:03 AM   #9
lafirewolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrus View Post
I have the ReefBreeder Photons V2 and they are very adjustable when it comes to height as well as having a little wiggle room left and right on the legs. (I eventually want to hang them from the ceiling but I need to get someone to help me first lol) For the moment I just took the flip lid off my canopy and they sit perfect on top of it. They are a bit high at 9 inches above the water but seem to work great. Point being they seem to be very adaptable to customization

So they would be even better at 7” of height above the water?

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:19 AM   #10
lafirewolf
Registered Member

I really like the Reef Breeders Aqua Helios R90’s. Similar to the Photon-V2 but has the smartphone app. Only issue I have is they are on backorder and the only other place I can find them is eBay.

Unread 02/09/2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafirewolf View Post
So they would be even better at 7” of height above the water?

Yep They actually recommend 6 inches for a tank like mine. This is from their website: "For tanks 12″ front to back or less, 6″ is plenty of height. For tanks 12″ to 18″ wide, 6″-10″ is a good height. For tanks 18″-24″ wide, 8″-12″ is a good height."

Unread 02/09/2018, 05:34 PM   #12
lafirewolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrus View Post
Yep They actually recommend 6 inches for a tank like mine. This is from their website: "For tanks 12″ front to back or less, 6″ is plenty of height. For tanks 12″ to 18″ wide, 6″-10″ is a good height. For tanks 18″-24″ wide, 8″-12″ is a good height."

Hydrus.... if you could only pick one of the following two items, which one would you purchase. New reef lighting or a dosing ATO system? I know I need new lights but I also am tired of doing water top offs and adding supplements.

Unread 02/09/2018, 05:44 PM   #13
Hydrus
Registered Member

Lighting for sure. Only because that's not something I can get around. As much as it sucks... water top offs, manual dosing etc can still be done by me (as tedious and time consuming as it is). However, if I don't have the proper lighting I'm stuck. There isn't much else I can do to fix that.

Unread 02/09/2018, 07:19 PM   #14
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

OceanRevive T-247

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:36 PM   #15
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

A 32" Photon V2 would be a perfect fit that wont break the bank and does well with sps, I have been researching these for a little while as an option for a build I am planning. Radion XR30 x2 would be the best of the best but you pay the price for the quality and adjustability. I dont think you would need or benifit from the Pro model if you do go the Radion route so save some money and get the standard version. 2 XR15 Pros would work well also but you may have some spot light and shadow effect since they dont have the same coverage as the XR30. These are both true reef led fixtures and are made with keeping sps corals in mind.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:43 PM   #16
lafirewolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
A 32" Photon V2 would be a perfect fit that wont break the bank and does well with sps, I have been researching these for a little while as an option for a build I am planning. Radion XR30 x2 would be the best of the best but you pay the price for the quality and adjustability. I dont think you would need or benifit from the Pro model if you do go the Radion route so save some money and get the standard version. 2 XR15 Pros would work well also but you may have some spot light and shadow effect since they dont have the same coverage as the XR30. These are both true reef led fixtures and are made with keeping sps corals in mind.

I don’t have the mounting height to do the Radions, otherwise these would be my first choice. I like the Photon V2 but am leaning more towards the Aqua Helios R90’s from Reefbreeders since they can be programmed from a smartphone.