Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Jesoccer94
Registered Member

Corals Dying

Have had my tank up for about a month. Tested the water: Calcium 400,
phosphates 0, nitrates 10, ammonia 0, alk 156, salinity 1.025, temp 78.
I did have a large colony of zoas that died, that came on the live rock, the rock fell and landed on the zoas. I have taken the rock out and two dead snails. I have a montipora that has turned white, a brain and long tentacle plate that have receded and you can start to see the skeleton. Pictures to come. Wondering if anyone has any idea what’s happening or what I can do to fix this. Thanks

Jesoccer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

Well, your tank still seems pretty new for all those corals. Were they established colonies in another tank, or new frags?

What lighting are you using? What size tank, and where are the corals in relation to the lights?

What type of filtration and water movement do you have? Also, what is your pH?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:00 PM   #3
kingfish22
Registered Member

whats your magnesium at?

kingfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Jesoccer94
Registered Member

I do not have test kits yet, plan on getting them tomorrow and testing PH and Mag. The other tests that I included above were from the LFS today, which the guy had no clue why this was happening, said maybe something was killing them like the inverts. I do realize that the tank is new and that may be the issue.
The Build:
BioCube 32 w/stand
30 Pounds of Live Sand
30 Pounds of Live Rock
About 27 Gallons of Saltwater
Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue LED Light Fixture w/Kessil Spectral Controller
BioCube Protein Skimmer/not yet installed
Hydor Koralia Smartwave Reef Pump Kit w/ 2x Hydor 425 GPH pumps
Hydor 200W Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater
Tunze Nano ATO with a 10 gallon tank to hold the RO water
Intank Media Basket
-Filter Floss (change weekly), Purigen 100ml (will change monthly, currently shipped and on the way), and ChemiPure Elite 6.5 ounce (will change monthly, currently shipped and on the way)
Intank Fuge Basket
-Innovative Marine Magnafuge Magnetic Refugium Led Light
-Chaetomorpha Algae
-1 Pound of Live Rock

I have also posted pictures of coral. The live rock that I got from the LFS had tons of zoas on them already. The only coral I have in there other then the things I talked about is a ricordia mushroom that was given to me, status is the coral has receded. I have no fish but do have some inverts (starfish, emerald crab, 10 hermits, and 7 snails). The monitpora is high in the tank and the brain and plate are on the sand bed.
Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (40.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (83.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Jesoccer94; 02/08/2018 at 07:49 PM.
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:06 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

It's possible the Kessil is burning your corals. What percentage do you have it running at? Also, if you know, what lighting were the corals under at the LFS?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:07 PM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam

I'd find a new lfs that knows whats going on. Your tank is still very new and looks like you got some fresh wild corals from the lfs which dont always do well, even in mature tanks, id find a place that can stock you with some captive grown corals which are a lot hardier and can handle new tanks better. Post a full tank shot with your light included

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Jesoccer94
Registered Member

Corals are worse. There are small little bug looking things on the glass everywhere, may be some sort of pod. The light is 6in off the water and the cycle is:
Time color/intensity
9:00 0%/5%
12:00 15%/25%
14:00 40%/50%
15:00 50%/60%
18:00 35%/45%
24:00 5%/0%

The lights at the LFS are kessils.

The guy I talked to at the LFS was new, guy I usually talk to was off. The LFS isn’t the issue have been going to them for years and know for a fact that the montipora is tank grown (know the guy that fragged it). And the three corals were bought at 3 different LFS. But one LFS I had never gone to but had good reviews. I bought my last coral the brain there. My brother recommended that store. I will post a full tank picture tomorrow, my iPhone won’t let me post on the forum.

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Jesoccer94
Registered Member

Here are two older pictures of my setup.

Update: The LFS that I tested my water at first gave bad reading I guess. I had the water tested today and got different results. Nitrates are at 50 and phosphates are at 0.2. So this is most likely due the fact that the tank hasn't cycled fully or got overloaded or both. I have done a 9 gallon water change today and changed the chemipure. Hoping this will help. Unfortunately the brain is 100% skeleton and the plate is about 50% skeleton.

I am up for suggestions on what to put the light schedule on for the Kessil Controller.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2523.jpg (99.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (73.7 KB, 16 views)