Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2012, 07:21 AM   #76
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
this unit looks very nice; I know GHL quality as I own the GHL Profilux.
Very wise words indeed

A page or so back rodneyri posted a pic of one of his SPS and even commented on coloration and "budding" on that colony just from the short time he has been running his Mitras.

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 07:25 AM   #77
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

here you go, speaks volumes

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...7#post20809147

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2012, 10:21 PM   #78
Btompkin
Registered Member

I'll get a pics up of the fixture I bought but I went to lowes and looked at the pendant lighting options, bought 3 candidates and brought them home to see if the would work. The one I picked was a double pendant at it almost matches the Mitras wires perfectly, about an 1/8 in or so out. Cost $20 or so.

I've pulled all the wires from fixture and googled a video on how to take Mitras power cord apart (it was very easy to take the connector part to thread through ceiling cover.)

I haven't finished mounting it but hope to this weekend

Btompkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 10:39 AM   #79
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btompkin View Post
I'll get a pics up of the fixture I bought but I went to lowes and looked at the pendant lighting options, bought 3 candidates and brought them home to see if the would work. The one I picked was a double pendant at it almost matches the Mitras wires perfectly, about an 1/8 in or so out. Cost $20 or so.

I've pulled all the wires from fixture and googled a video on how to take Mitras power cord apart (it was very easy to take the connector part to thread through ceiling cover.)

I haven't finished mounting it but hope to this weekend
Look forward to the photos.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 10:56 AM   #80
sunilp
Registered Member

I am going to get 2 units and install then this weekend. I have 2 Giesemann LED units currently and thought I would mix them with 2 GHL units. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

sunilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 12:32 PM   #81
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilp View Post
I am going to get 2 units and install then this weekend. I have 2 Giesemann LED units currently and thought I would mix them with 2 GHL units. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
My first thought is "jealous"

Sounds like a great project for sure.

Unread 10/26/2012, 04:58 PM   #82
steelcaveman
Registered Member

@rodneyri -Tank looks awesome! Can you post a current tank shot? Your corals have now been under the new light for a couple weeks. I would like to compare. Considering a fixture upgrade and don't want any regrets. Thanks in advance.

steelcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 05:01 PM   #83
rodneyri
Registered Member

ill get some new shots over the weekend for you

Just a quick overview of some testing I did last night, these were on a fixed jig for the readings.

ATI - Powermodule 8x54w (3b, 3KZ NG, 1FP, 1 A+)
Mitras - all LED 100%
Radion - all LED 100%

Mitras against ATI (ATI is the thin line)

Mitras against the Radion (Radion is the thin line)

Unread 10/26/2012, 07:03 PM   #84
Bugger
Moved On

This is a serious light. There awsome but does high output mode kill the Leds faster? Also AQD Ottawa how did you link that link directly to what you were talking about. Also third question is it ok to run high intesity mode on a smaller tank?

Bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2012, 07:11 PM   #85
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Hi

The colour of the corals are not being washed out but instead bringing out the natural vibrance if you are referring to the link to the SPS under the Mitras. In the photo you will see the white core of the coral remains white, so no artificial light colouring. But of course you can adjust the lamps spectrum to anything you want but its important to see natural colour can be kept when wanted.

Having said that at Macna we had a sail fin tang under a Mitras that was positively pink/red and many asking what breed it was

In regards to high intensity, you only really need this for deeper tanks to 30" + really, but you have full control to suit your own enviroment.

The LED's are not overdriven so no you will not kill them faster this is another key asset to the design.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 10/26/2012, 09:15 PM   #86
sunilp
Registered Member

I am picking up a pair of these tomorrow. I am not if I should keep the Giesemann LED's even after reading this thread. Does anyone have a comparison between this light and the Giesemann TEZLA?

Unread 10/27/2012, 07:48 AM   #87
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
Mitras against ATI (ATI is the thin line)
Rodneyri: That is brilliant. Many thanks for taking the time to produce those graphs. Its things like this that forwards this hobby.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Mitras is just as much "full spectrum" as the lineup of T5's. Yes, there are high speaks in some areas for the T5, but overall I am quite pleased that the spectral range is just as good.

This provides much confidence for me on the spectral quality of the Mitras.

Can I ask what equipment was used to produce these graphs?

Can I also ask that you keep in mind the reason(s) you stopped using the previous LED unit (I recall is was the Vertex unit?), and over the coming weeks if you can honestly report back as to whether the Mitras has eliminated those reasons etc.

Many thanks in advance, and look forward to the photos.

Unread 10/27/2012, 03:02 PM   #88
rodneyri
Registered Member

Im surprised also with the coverage, it looks though if you grabbed the Mitras spectrum and shifted it left the peaks match up. I wonder if the T5 spectrum has shifted over time - globes are almost 6 months old - not replacement age yet so still valid test.

Sahin I will report back always on my experience with the light, i spend $$$ on this i want it to work but the ATI is stored closely if needed.

This is the test rig used

Unread 10/27/2012, 07:02 PM   #89
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
I will report back always on my experience with the light, i spend $$$ on this i want it to work but the ATI is stored closely if needed.
I'm curious! Thanks!

TheReefKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2012, 07:47 PM   #90
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Rodney your work is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your results with everyone.

Unread 10/27/2012, 10:11 PM   #91
sunilp
Registered Member

I just hooked mine up today and was quite impressed with the color of light compared to the AI sol's I had. All of the SPS looks totally different. I'll be hard installing them tomorrow. THe mounting solution they have is pretty elegant.

Unread 10/28/2012, 04:33 AM   #92
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
I just hooked mine up today and was quite impressed with the color of light compared to the AI sol's I had. All of the SPS looks totally different. I'll be hard installing them tomorrow. THe mounting solution they have is pretty elegant.
Sunil, I look forward to the photos and your first impressions on coral colour.

Unread 10/28/2012, 10:58 AM   #93
ericung
Registered Member

Quote:
Really nice to hear that, but I am still waiting for my unit

ericung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 11:56 AM   #94
SERVO
Registered Member

The GHL Control settings program does not seem to let me save my changes at this time. Have you done much modification to your spectrums? If so would you mind posting. I'd love to gain some insight. My busy schedule prohibits me from spending excessive amounts of time on trouble shooting, but when I program the fixture The Save changes setting is never active. Have you had the same or similar issues? Thanks

SERVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2012, 12:00 PM   #95
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

1. Make sure you are using the latest software version.
2. Please follow this thread here, the topic on saving has just been posted.
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...L-Mitras.-Help.

If you need further help please post on that thread for swift support. Thanks

Unread 10/28/2012, 08:58 PM   #96
sunilp
Registered Member

Sahin,

I mounted my lights above today. The steel wire cable included is pretty neat. You can lower or raise the lights and then cut the wire. Very clean!. I mounted them to the shelf inside my upper canopy. I am operating 2 lights currently on a 175 bow front. 2 more on order. I'll try and post some pics next week of the coral. The bushy acro looks about the same. I have a stylo that had blue tips under the ai sol's and now has purple tips.

Unread 10/31/2012, 09:02 AM   #97
sunilp
Registered Member

I just noticed GHL does not recommend installation inside canopies. I suppose I can install a ventilation system or leave my canopy cracked open during the day. I am assuming this is due to heat production?

Unread 10/31/2012, 11:22 AM   #98
loup
Premium Member

I found that you need to click on "Transmit illuminaton run to illuminaton channel" on the bottom first which enable the "Save Setting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVO View Post
The GHL Control settings program does not seem to let me save my changes at this time. Have you done much modification to your spectrums? If so would you mind posting. I'd love to gain some insight. My busy schedule prohibits me from spending excessive amounts of time on trouble shooting, but when I program the fixture The Save changes setting is never active. Have you had the same or similar issues? Thanks

Fat Fish = Happy Owner

Current Tank Info: a nano with fishies ...
loup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 01:28 PM   #99
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Come on people's. The GHL Mitras club thread needs more photos of your corals and shots of the light over your tanks. So snap some photos and post them here.

Unread 11/01/2012, 03:31 PM   #100
sunilp
Registered Member

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.