Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2012, 10:22 PM   #1
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Tri-Color Acro Bleaching

We bought a Tri-color Acro last week and over the course of today it completely bleached white. Our red planet and our acro formosa are both doing fine. Any ideas? All parameters are in check and lighting is x24 cree LED's.

This is what it used to look like

bassplaya12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 05:56 AM   #2
bamf25
Registered Member

What are your numbers, and how close are they to your lighting. My first two guesses would be alk or light bleeching. Possibly, it could be starving, or you supplimenting coral food, or how many fish are in the tank?

Last edited by bamf25; 04/24/2012 at 06:04 AM.
bamf25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

I would guess it was the lighting.....

Unread 04/24/2012, 08:19 AM   #4
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf25 View Post
What are your numbers, and how close are they to your lighting. My first two guesses would be alk or light bleeching. Possibly, it could be starving, or you supplimenting coral food, or how many fish are in the tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mock View Post
I would guess it was the lighting.....
i'll get numbers again today, but it shouldn't be parameters, because my red planet that's been in the tank has been fine ever since we made the switch and is still fine. If it was alk burn would that one not be affected as well? They were on the sand for two days after bringing them home because we didn't want to bleach them (that worked out great no?) There's a clown pair and a damsel.

Unread 04/24/2012, 09:28 AM   #5
bamf25
Registered Member

How long have you had these corals? You mention you switched something and then 2 days in the sand. If they are new corals, I strongly think it is lighting.

Unread 04/24/2012, 11:18 AM   #6
ReefBeforeGirls
Registered Member

My guess would be the lighting as well. I've bleached a few frags recently by not carefully acclimating them to LED lighting. They came from MH tanks.

40g Breeder Mixed Reef | EuroReef Skimmer RS 80 | 250w MH
ReefBeforeGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 02:15 PM   #7
consumed corals
Registered Member.

I would drop it down in the tank sounds like light issues to me. I do not have leds but I have 2 400w mh about 18" above tank and I always try to go slow bringing them up to the full blast of light.

consumed corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 03:10 PM   #8
bamf25
Registered Member

I think we are seeing consistently that LED lights are MUCH brighter than people expect them to be. I am not sure if PAR meters do not measure them correctly or what. I know it is not sps, but I was bleaching a candy cane 20+ inches below the surface with my led setup.

Unread 04/24/2012, 04:17 PM   #9
bassplaya12
Registered Member

We got them last week. They've been on the sand in the corner where the par is the lowest and our lights have been dimmed since we got them. This happened while they were still on the sand! When we switched from an underpowered t5 for our size tank to led, our redplanet is in the top of the tank and it never bleached. Are the tri-colors more sensitive than other sps?

Unread 04/24/2012, 04:19 PM   #10
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Also, I'm not exactly sure if they are bleached or completely dead. It looks like there is no flesh on them. They melted away over the span of about 6 hours, before the light was even on for the day

Unread 04/25/2012, 08:46 AM   #11
eamike261
Registered Member

Scroll down to the bottom of my thread to see are exact specs for the LEDs:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2157526

The rtn started when the coral was in the corner of the tank. The max our lights had gotten to was 450mA on blues and ~400mA on the whites. But it was fine for the 3 days leading up to death, which occurred in 12 hour period.

Our Red Planet has not experienced any issues since the switch to LEDs which was higher and closer to the middle of the tank (except that growth has increased a bit). Same goes for all of our LPS.

Here is something strange: a small (half inch) piece broke off when we were putting it in the tank so we glued it to a different rock. That small piece still looks perfect (which is right next to our Red Planet, i.e. more intense light).

I'm wondering if alk burn is a possibility. We started to dose 2 part B-Ionic. I believe we started around 5 days before we got the new sps. Is this scenario possible? Alk rose over a 5 day period to unhealthy levels, but since it was over 5 days all of our corals didn't appear to be effected. Then when we added the new SPS, the increased alk was too much for them (yes we did acclimate for an hour). But if that is the situation, then wouldn't they have been upset right away? Rather than just die nearly instantly after a few days?

And before everyone yells about dosing without the test kit, we were told that the bare minimum would not be enough anyway (test kits are in the mail) so we would just increase the dose when we knew exactly how much to add.

Last edited by eamike261; 04/25/2012 at 08:53 AM.
eamike261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 08:38 AM   #12
mc-cro
(macro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplaya12 View Post
Also, I'm not exactly sure if they are bleached or completely dead. It looks like there is no flesh on them. They melted away over the span of about 6 hours, before the light was even on for the day

You are describing RTN- rapid tissue necrosis.

Current Tank Info: 60x26x24 AGE 3 sided starphire
mc-cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 10:45 AM   #13
bassplaya12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-cro View Post
You are describing RTN- rapid tissue necrosis.
what would cause this?

Tags
acro bleach lighting