Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2014, 07:32 PM   #151
Amoo
Registered Member

I do all of our ordering and the pricing I listed is accurate for current market direct to me before markup.

I'm wondering if it might be worth trying it as a second line of defense after cipro, I'm afraid a nem might be too far gone though to know for sure.

Amoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2014, 07:41 PM   #152
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoo View Post
I do all of our ordering and the pricing I listed is accurate for current market direct to me before markup.

I'm wondering if it might be worth trying it as a second line of defense after cipro, I'm afraid a nem might be too far gone though to know for sure.
You should be able to get medication easier and cheaper than the rest of us. Please post if you decide to use other medications (other than Cipro and Septra)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2014, 08:22 PM   #153
Amoo
Registered Member

Will do, just going to seek guidance on dosing and situations to use. There are a few others I have thought of, but nothing as hard hitting that I can think of as Cefotaxime. Any others?

Also, why the choice of Septra? Not sure you have explained that.

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:57 AM   #154
OrionN
Moved on

Hi Everybody,
I got Debi to change the first post of this thread to update for a few new information and my current treatment recommendation.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 07/28/2014, 07:14 PM   #155
Amoo
Registered Member

Mihn,

You're welcome to add my ongoing thread to the OP if you choose.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2421087

Unread 07/28/2014, 07:30 PM   #156
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoo View Post
Mihn,

You're welcome to add my ongoing thread to the OP if you choose.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2421087
Amoo,
If you don't mind, please write a summary of your recommendation regarding medications and doses, I will see if Debi can added it to the first post, clearly state that it is your recommendation. I think this will help give everybody different choices and regiment to use to treat sick anemones.

Unread 07/30/2014, 12:29 PM   #157
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Amoo, I added it to the first post and moved your actual posts to your original thread.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 01:48 PM   #158
Amoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
Amoo, I added it to the first post and moved your actual posts to your original thread.
Thank you kindly.

Unread 09/29/2014, 11:31 AM   #159
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Folks,

What is the equivalent product for Septra DS?

i know Fish Flox is another name for Cipro used for ornamental fish and i would like to know if this exist for Septra DS as well, please advice.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 12:05 PM   #160
OrionN
Moved on

Fish Sulfa Forte,160 mg trimethoprim and 800 mg sulfamethoxazole is equivalent to Septra DS
Sulfameth/Trimeth (SMZ) Tablets 800mg/160 mg
SMZ-TMP 960 mg

Last edited by OrionN; 09/29/2014 at 12:11 PM.
Unread 09/29/2014, 12:12 PM   #161
OrionN
Moved on

You can get them here at DFS website
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...571&cadevice=c

Unread 09/29/2014, 12:13 PM   #162
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Thanks Minh !

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2014, 09:54 AM   #163
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Based on the Scoring system on the first page of this thread, at what point does one start a treatment?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 04:38 AM   #164
Amoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Based on the Scoring system on the first page of this thread, at what point does one start a treatment?
It's not completely black and white CA, it's more about the change in score you've noted. If you've noted a change of 1/2 points, probably no big deal. If you noticed a change of 3/4 points, probably time to think about treating. Also almost anything 6 or above I treat.

HTH.

Unread 10/07/2014, 05:50 AM   #165
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

While I do think a scoring system is useful, I have tended to take a somewhat simpler approach. If I have an anemone that fully deflates (not just a few tentacles) more that once - two days in a row, for example - I put it into treatment. My own personal experience with magnifica anemones is that if I get them into treatment quickly, I have a 100% survival rate (3 out of 3). If I wait too long, I have a 50% survival rate (2 out of 4). I had one years ago that survived without any treatment, and one that dies before I knew any better; but all the others I have kept required treatment, including a recent specimen that had already been treated by DD.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2014, 12:00 PM   #166
Gaidin
Registered Member

I purchased a red based H. Magnifica and put it into my DT. At the LFS it looked inflated, mouth closed and healthy. But it had just arrived the day before. Initially it looked the same in my tank but the whole anemone looked "empty". The way a car dealership arm flailing inflatable tube man would look. Inflated but like it had no substance to the anemone. I left it in my DT for a week on a wait and see. The first few days It looked like it was beginning to improve on its own and the anemone attached in a nice spot high up and great water flow. Then it began to regularly deflate for 20-30 mins about an hour before lights out on my DT. Otherwise looking healthy the rest of the day and throughout the night. (i didnt initially realize this until the anemone was in treatment but the deflation always occurred when I fed my fish, I would feed thawed frozen mysid, some LRS, and some frozen cylopeez. I usually fed after I got home in the evening so it was always around the same time. As soon as the food hit the water the anemone deflated. Thoughts on this?) My concern was that it would not improve on its own and I didnt want to wait until it started to melt. The mouth was never gaping or open, always closed and tight, but the tentacles would deflate and the anemone would shrink up. Ron Popeil is a good friend of mine and we traded pics back and forth on txt msgs. After some discussion we agreed that it would be best to treat.

I ordered Cipro online and waited for it to arrive as I spent days looking for sources locally and was not able to get anyone to listen to the crazy man who wanted antibiotics for an anemone. Once I got my Cipro I moved it to 10g QT and started treatment. I do 100% water change at end of day cycle with 1/2 500mg Cipro tablet. Tank has a heater, powerhead separated by egg crate. and a mesh top with a dual PC light. I am currently on Day 5 of treatment on my H. Magnifica. Since day 1 the anemone has not deflated. It looks healthy, inflated, attached to glass. My next question is how much longer should I continue treatment since it has not deflated again since beginning treatment. I was thinking of discontinuing Cipro after the 7th treatment and possibly moving back to display soon after. Any suggestions? I will try to upload some photos of my progress.

Current Tank Info: 180gal
Gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 11:00 AM   #167
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
I purchased a red based H. Magnifica and put it into my DT. At the LFS it looked inflated, mouth closed and healthy. But it had just arrived the day before. Initially it looked the same in my tank but the whole anemone looked "empty". The way a car dealership arm flailing inflatable tube man would look. Inflated but like it had no substance to the anemone. I left it in my DT for a week on a wait and see. The first few days It looked like it was beginning to improve on its own and the anemone attached in a nice spot high up and great water flow. Then it began to regularly deflate for 20-30 mins about an hour before lights out on my DT. Otherwise looking healthy the rest of the day and throughout the night. (i didnt initially realize this until the anemone was in treatment but the deflation always occurred when I fed my fish, I would feed thawed frozen mysid, some LRS, and some frozen cylopeez. I usually fed after I got home in the evening so it was always around the same time. As soon as the food hit the water the anemone deflated. Thoughts on this?) My concern was that it would not improve on its own and I didnt want to wait until it started to melt. The mouth was never gaping or open, always closed and tight, but the tentacles would deflate and the anemone would shrink up. Ron Popeil is a good friend of mine and we traded pics back and forth on txt msgs. After some discussion we agreed that it would be best to treat.

I ordered Cipro online and waited for it to arrive as I spent days looking for sources locally and was not able to get anyone to listen to the crazy man who wanted antibiotics for an anemone. Once I got my Cipro I moved it to 10g QT and started treatment. I do 100% water change at end of day cycle with 1/2 500mg Cipro tablet. Tank has a heater, powerhead separated by egg crate. and a mesh top with a dual PC light. I am currently on Day 5 of treatment on my H. Magnifica. Since day 1 the anemone has not deflated. It looks healthy, inflated, attached to glass. My next question is how much longer should I continue treatment since it has not deflated again since beginning treatment. I was thinking of discontinuing Cipro after the 7th treatment and possibly moving back to display soon after. Any suggestions? I will try to upload some photos of my progress.
Sounds to me like treatment worked. Any update? If you can observe it in the QT for a week or so, it'll allow you make an assessment of whether or not the treatment worked.

Unread 10/18/2014, 01:55 AM   #168
Gaidin
Registered Member

Treatment seems to have worked. Its now acclimated to the DT. Waited about 2 days after 7th dose. No signs of deflation since 1st treatment and looking very healthy. My main concern was how long to treat and how long to observe before returning to DT after 7th treatment given that the anemone had not deflated since day 1 and was looking healthy. I didnt want to move it too early and possibly have it relapse. Seems to be going well so far though.

Current Tank Info: 180gal
Gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 05:09 AM   #169
OrionN
Moved on

If you have no anemone in your tank, I would move and put him there. If you have anemone in the DT and wanted to make absolutely sure that your new anemone is healthy, I would leave him in HT for 3 days without any antibiotic. If he does well, than transfer him to DT.

Unread 10/21/2014, 07:29 PM   #170
marty9876
Registered Member

Any advice for treatment of this scenario:

Currently have a mag in dedicated qt since 9/16. Treated with cipro for 5 days right off the bat. Nem has been deflating completely about once every three days lately. The odd part is the nem looks healthier and healthier as the days go by (with the complete deflation every third day or so). I'm defining healthier as stronger more solid stance and reduction in bleaching.

I can't decide if I should dose spectra. Have a clownfish in with the nem.

marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 08:43 AM   #171
givemeajob
Registered Member

I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the information. I have been treating two mags in a hospital tank for 10 days now. They were in my display for almost two weeks when I decided that it was time to treat them. They were still clinging to the rocks but were deflated more than inflated and ones mouth was gaping wide open. The tank is very mature, large (450 gallons), with plenty of light and random flows. All other livestock has been flourishing.

I just returned one to my display last night after he showed no signs of deflation for over 4 days. This morning he is huge although he moved onto the front glass which is not the best viewing spot so I'm hoping he at least moves to the sides.

I've left the other in the hospital tank for now (the one who's mouth was initially gaping), still treating with Cipro and keeping things constant. He looks better all the time but I'm not ready to put him back in the display just yet. He's not bleached but he just doesn't look quite there yet. I don't mind keeping him on the hospital tank and probably will for another week or so.

Bottom line, this treatment works as I'm sure these two mags would be dead by now. It also is a good conversation piece talking to people about how you are treating your marine life with antibiotics. It makes me sound smarter than I actually am.

Thanks everyone.

givemeajob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 04:33 PM   #172
Seths Dad
Registered Member

Looking for advice on an led bulb for a ht/qt, it's an Ecosmart par38 19w 5000k I found at Home Depot. Would that be adequate to keep a mag in a ht/qt?

thanks

Seths Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 10:04 AM   #173
Seths Dad
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seths Dad View Post
Looking for advice on an led bulb for a ht/qt, it's an Ecosmart par38 19w 5000k I found at Home Depot. Would that be adequate to keep a mag in a ht/qt?

thanks
Got my answer in another thread

Seths Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2014, 09:13 PM   #174
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:

Hah !

So you came back here to let us know you got an answer, but it didn't occur to you to say what it was.

Classic post.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2014, 12:40 AM   #175
marc price
Registered Member

Quote:
FYI,

I used a PAR meter to test several of the commonly available at Lowes and Home Depot PAR-38 5000K LED's. The Philips 19.5watt 5000K PAR 38 LED has almost twice the PAR of all the others available at Home Depot and Lowes.
http://www.homedepot...m79Z15bZ1z0u18w

I have been doing well with all types of SPS combining the 5000K Philips with a Feit 450nm Blue PAR-38
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/perfor.../par38-b-ledg5

There is also a 23Watt 6500K which is interesting however i didn't order one so don't know what the PAR will be - http://www.bulborama.com/LED-Light-B...ULB-p2444.html

marc price is offline   Reply With Quote