Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2016, 07:54 PM   #1
reefmutt
Registered Member

Probiotic vs reef salt

Hi, I've been using the probiotic reef salt for about 6 months in my sps tank. I am happy with the salt but not sure i really need to be using the probiotic salt since i dose np pro and pro bio s.
I am considering using the reef salt instead.
I notice that the reef salt does not contain bromides.
I do not know what the significance of this is. I assume bromides interact with ozone in a detrimental way based on the product description on the reef salt bucket..
Will my tank become bromide deficient if i switch to the reef salt from the probiotic?
Are bromides a necessary element to have in my reef?
Does the reef salt have the same chemical make up and alkalinity levels as the probiotic salt except for the lack of bromides and the probiotic material?

Any info would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2016, 05:12 AM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

Hey Matt,
I think that the reason why the Probiotic Reef Salt is not recommended with ozone is due to bromides being added to the salt and from my understanding, this can cause problems with corals. I could be wrong, but think I read on a post on the FB page something regarding this. The Reef Salt, if you use ozone or UV is the recommended salt choice. I know several users that prefer to use the Reef Salt, but still choose to use the Probiotic based system. The salt mixes fairly close to the same levels as the Probiotic, in terms of the "Big 3". I know this because the LFS I used to work at uses this as the salt choice for the pre made salt water, and I have personally tested it's values. It is close to NSW values. AF aslo has a group page where there are several users who use the system in various ways. Hope all is good my friend!
Cheers, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490485151247025/

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2016, 06:12 AM   #3
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Perry, thanks.
I am one of the last 3 people on earth who are not on Facebook..
I know... WHO'S NOT on Facebook!?!

I'm just thinking of switching to the reef salt but I don't know if I'll suddenly need to supplement bromides..
If the reef salt is exactly the same, minus the probiotic material and bromides, I may switch...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 06/26/2016, 07:07 AM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

I would, only because the Probiotic Reef Salt is preferred with use of Pro Bio S and NP Pro. I am fairly certain it is close with values, minus the bromides, aminos, and bacteria. That said, I doubt you will see any real difference. I think it is an excellent salt for the price, and it is consistent like the Probiotic Reef Salt. Update this thread, and in the mean time, I will keep a look out for any threads with this info. Cheers Matt!

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 06/26/2016, 09:34 AM   #5
reefmutt
Registered Member

I am using pro bio and np pro..
I didn't know that the probiotic reef salt had aminos in it as well.. Interesting..
Thanks, Perry!

Unread 06/26/2016, 11:17 AM   #6
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

I went through 2 buckets of the Probiotic Salt and have switched to the Reef Salt. I haven't noticed the difference and I just finished my second bucket of the Reef Salt. I am also using NP-Pro and Pro-Bio S.

I switched because I need to cut my budget down. I am about to implement Component 1+2+3 dosing and that **** ain't cheap....

Unread 07/17/2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

Is the NP-Pro and Pro-Bio S comparable to using NOPOX or Prodibio?

Mr.Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2016, 01:03 PM   #8
reefmutt
Registered Member

I would say yes.. NP Pro is a carbon source and Pro bio s is a bacterial blend..

Unread 07/17/2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

Thank you reefmutt.

Unread 07/26/2016, 09:00 PM   #10
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

I was thinking about switching to the normal Aquaforest reef salt from Hw Marinemix i'm using now. The parameters from Aquaforest would mix alot closer to the levels that i'm keeping.

My question is: if I switch do I have to run any of their other product with this salt? I only ask because the other Aquaforest salt needs to be carbon dosed from what I have read. Once it contains bacteria. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks

Unread 07/27/2016, 10:05 AM   #11
reefmutt
Registered Member

I don't think there is any need to use their other products. The salt is a stand alone product, just like any other salt on the market.
The probiotic reef salt works better in conjunction with their nutrient reduction system but again, it is not required that you use other products with it.. I don't think..

Unread 07/27/2016, 10:16 AM   #12
plyle02
Registered Member

Matt, correct AF Reef salt is stand alone product and requires no additional products, like any regular salt, just formulated wit NSW values in mind.

Unread 07/27/2016, 06:22 PM   #13
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

Thank you guys. Are either of you two using this salt and if so what are your thoughts so far?

Unread 07/27/2016, 06:40 PM   #14
reefmutt
Registered Member

I've been using probiotic reef salt since Christmas. I like it just fine but it is too expensive for me. To save a few bucks, I recently purchased the Reef Salt, which I will start using soon.
I really like the dkh, the best. I haven't really noticed anything else, in particular about it that sets it apart from any other good quality salt.

Unread 07/28/2016, 03:38 PM   #15
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

The dkh is why I would like to find a different salt mix. HW Marinemix that I have been using for a while now has a dkh of 8.7-9.2 I like the salt but I like my alk at aound 8.0

Everytime I do a water change it knocks it up too much for my liking. I'll give AF a shot when my bucket is empty.

Unread 07/28/2016, 07:49 PM   #16
reefmutt
Registered Member

All of the buckets of probiotic reef salt I have used have been between 7.9 and 8.3 as per the little paper that comes with each bucket.
I'm pretty sure their whole line up of salts are in this range.